Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trae Waynes as new CB2?
I know people (myself included) are assuming we cut Waynes contract and look elsewhere for a new CB2 or CB1.5. But dude was considered a pretty good player when we signed him a couple years ago. What do you think are the possibilities that the Bengals may just think he's ready to play again and just roll with him this year? Do they possibly think he's better than what's out there?

I only ask 'cause I would've thought he'd be cut at the same time Collins signed his contract.

Also, if he does come back to the Bengals, how good do you think he'd be?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Apple is better

Waynes would be cb3 more than likely
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:09 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Apple is better

Hilton is better...

He's a slot corner but still better haha
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:09 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Apple is better

(03-21-2022, 02:09 PM)Au165 Wrote: Hilton is better...

So then absolutely no reason for the Bengals to bring him back. Makes it even weirder that they haven't released him yet.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: So then absolutely no reason for the Bengals to bring him back. Makes it even weirder that they haven't released him yet.

They are usually into only swapping out guys as cap is needed which really makes me wonder if they are working on a veteran corner still. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: They are usually into only swapping out guys as cap is needed which really makes me wonder if they are working on a veteran corner still. 

I agree with this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I know people (myself included) are assuming we cut Waynes contract and look elsewhere for a new CB2 or CB1.5. But dude was considered a pretty good player when we signed him a couple years ago. What do you think are the possibilities that the Bengals may just think he's ready to play again and just roll with him this year? Do they possibly think he's better than what's out there?

I only ask 'cause I would've thought he'd be cut at the same time Collins signed his contract.

Also, if he does come back to the Bengals, how good do you think he'd be?

Let me ask you this, do you trust he will stay healthy for even half the season?

I certainly do not.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:11 PM)Au165 Wrote: They are usually into only swapping out guys as cap is needed which really makes me wonder if they are working on a veteran corner still. 

Do you view the swapping approach as position-for-position or is it possible they sign someone from another position with a salary equivalent to Waynes' salary and then they cut him?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:23 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Do you view the swapping approach as position-for-position or is it possible they sign someone from another position with a salary equivalent to Waynes' salary and then they cut him?

It's not always position for position, remember last year they hung onto Geno until they needed it for Reiff. I simply think once you cut Waynes you have 4 total CB's on the roster and one is nothing more than a special teams guy in Davis. I am not saying this is Gilmore, it could be a guy similar to Apple like a Kyle Fuller.
Reply/Quote

Yes, expecting us signing a Corner like Stephon Gilmore and cutting Waynes. Availability is the biggest ability.

Heck, even when he was supposedly healthy Waynes couldn't start and didn't really play well. We can do better.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:23 PM)GodFather Wrote: Let me ask you this, do you trust he will stay healthy for even half the season?

I certainly do not.

Me neither. 

Make no mistake, I don't want him back, but was just wondering why he hasn't been cut after signing Collins.
Reply/Quote
CB1: Awuzie
CB2: Apple
CB3 (slot): Hilton
------------------------

This is the eay it was all last year. IDK why some fail to grasp it.

For now:
CB4: Waynes (first boundary corner off bench)
CB5: Jalen Davis (Hilton's backup in the slot.
CB6: Open (Brannon a PS player).

Someone like Flowers could be brought back, but he is a niche guy and would be CB6 (taking TEs & big/sliw WRs). Another vet is possible, as is one (or two) early draft picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: CB1: Awuzie
CB2: Apple
CB3 (slot): Hilton
------------------------

This is the eay it was all last year. IDK why some fail to grasp it.

For now:
CB4: Waynes (first boundary corner off bench)
CB5: Jalen Davis (Hilton's backup in the slot.
CB6: Open (Brannon a PS player).

Someone like Flowers could be brought back, but he is a niche guy and would be CB6 (taking TEs & big/sliw WRs). Another vet is possible, as is one (or two) early draft picks.

I sure hope they bring back Trey Flowers. Really liked what I saw from him last season and in the Playoffs.

He is a Simmons guy, bet they bring him back but hey Stanley Morgan was a Simmons guy too and got away. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Pardon me if this has been asked but other than freeing up cap space, is any urgency or advantage to cutting Wayne's at this time?
Reply/Quote
I assume it depends on the rest of fa and the draft. If we sign someone better than an empty spot, I'd say we will release him then . If we don't, no reason not to let him stay.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 02:57 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Pardon me if this has been asked but other than freeing up cap space, is any urgency or advantage to cutting Wayne's at this time?

Not until we sign someone else honestly. Swap'em as Au said.
Reply/Quote

(03-21-2022, 02:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with this.

Must be what it is ?
Reply/Quote
I don’t think they release him until there is a need for cap space or they have his replacement.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:00 PM)Benton Wrote: I assume it depends on the rest of fa and the draft. If we sign someone better than an empty spot, I'd say we will release him then . If we don't, no reason not to let him stay.

(03-21-2022, 03:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not until we sign someone else honestly. Swap'em as Au said.

That's what I was kina thinking also.... if there's no penalty for holding on to him, might as well keep him around until they upgrade the spot in FA or draft a pick that would be a potential upgrade. I imagine even if they don't do those two things and want to  keep Waynes, they will try to redo his contract because he's making too much for being a CB4. Thanks fellas for the answers.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 03:18 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: That's what I was kina thinking also.... if there's no penalty for holding on to him, might as well keep him around until they upgrade the spot in FA or draft a pick that would be a potential upgrade. I imagine even if they don't do those two things and want to  keep Waynes, they will try to redo his contract because he's making too much for being a CB4. Thanks fellas for the answers.

Not joking, but he could get hurt any day given his injury history and you are stuck with him then.
Reply/Quote