Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trae Waynes is NOT happy
(07-07-2020, 08:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The article itself may not but Trae Waynes actual comments certainly seem to indicate that he feels he's being mistreated. 

Trae Waynes:

"That sh--'s terrible. It's still going on for me," Waynes said on the Behind the Mask Podcast when asked about free agency. "I signed here, but I ain't really sign here. It was cool at first and I'm thinking it'll be done and over with. Ninety percent of the league, it's done for them. I know Cincy and a couple of other teams, they still ain't pay nobody or let them take their physicals, so it's technically still going on."

He's basically saying that for the vast majority of the league this wouldn't be an issue, and that only us and a couple other of teams are delaying the process.

To each their own, but these comments just strike me as totally unecessary.  Anyone that has been around or even watched sports even a little bit can recite an appropriate response to any questions surrounding a new team and a new season.  Ex: "I can't wait to get started.  I think we've got a group of guys coming in and I'm ready to do whatever I need to to make sure we win ball games."  That's all you really ever need to say.

Why go out of your way to publically complain about your new team approaching physicals differently than "90% of the league"?  Comments like "they still aint pay nobody" don't really reflect any enthusiasm or confidence.

Umm, is Wayne's quote of "for 90%, it's already been done", is that completely accurate?  I can't find, or anyone that I've noticed on here, hasn't found any data in relation to the actual number or percentage of the total number of free agents that have "signed in principal" that have indeed been able to undergo their physicals and get the deal finalized.

I've already stated, in my previous post that I felt like that number Wayne's gave was arbitrary, and related to frustration over the situation.  Now, what I'd really like to learn is why the NFL has allowed some teams to conduct physicals and ink deals, and not others;  Rather than more interpretation of words that a frustrated athlete spoke.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-draft-signing-tracker-for-first-round-picks-contract-details-for-top-32-picks-as-theyre/

Fwiw, as of 6 days ago, only 6 of the 32 first round draft picks have officially signed. That means only 18% of teams have elected to put pen to paper on these contracts. So I find it hard to believe that 90% of them are putting pen to paper on their free agent contracts. In fact, I find it impossible.

I also find funny that none of these guys are complaining they can't properly work out. Has Joe Burrow stated that he can't work out because his deal isn't final? I don't think he has.
Reply/Quote
Pulled from another SI article from 5 days ago:

And again, Cincinnati’s not the only team doing this. While some teams (Miami, Cleveland, Green Bay) have come up with solutions, a significant number have not. In fact, one agent told me on Wednesday that a team exec leveled with him recently, and said they wouldn’t allow for a deal to be finalized because the owner feared the season could be canceled (if the pandemic worsens) and he didn’t want to pay out cash he may not be able to recoup.

Along the way, Waynes’s agents did go to union lead lawyer Tom DePaso on this, and found that the teams were within their rights to leave deals undone as a result of not wanting to do off-campus physicals.

So Waynes’s situation, really, is a snapshot of a larger problem.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 08:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Umm, is Wayne's quote of "for 90%, it's already been done", is that completely accurate?  I can't find, or anyone that I've noticed on here, hasn't found any data in relation to the actual number or percentage of the total number of free agents that have "signed in principal" that have indeed been able to undergo their physicals and get the deal finalized.

I've already stated, in my previous post that I felt like that number Wayne's gave was arbitrary, and related to frustration over the situation.  Now, what I'd really like to learn is why the NFL has allowed some teams to conduct physicals and ink deals, and not others;  Rather than more interpretation of words that a frustrated athlete spoke.

I'm not sure if you read my entire post, or if I just did a poor job articulating.  I'm in agreement with you, no I don't think it's accuate.  And while I understand his frustration I complete disagree with publically airing it, while seeminginly painting the Bengals as a select few who are doing this.

You stated that you didn't think there was any wrong-doing implied in the article.  I was just pointing out that Waynes comments themselves make it seem like he's frustrating with the team as much as he was the situation.

As I understand it, the teams that are conducting physcials are having them done in private practices, off-site.  I can't blame the Bengals for not being on board with this.  And it sounds like there's a number of other teams that feel the same.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 09:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm not sure if you read my entire post, or if I just did a poor job articulating.  I'm in agreement with you, no I don't think it's accuate.  And while I understand his frustration I complete disagree with publically airing it, while seeminginly painting the Bengals as a select few who are doing this.

You stated that you didn't think there was any wrong-doing implied in the article.  I was just pointing out that Waynes comments themselves make it seem like he's frustrating with the team as much as he was the situation.

As I understand it, the teams that are conducting physcials are having them done in private practices, off-site.  I can't blame the Bengals for not being on board with this.  And it sounds like there's a number of other teams that feel the same.

It's all good, I think that I might have misinterpreted your opinion or misread the wording.  Thanks for the clarification.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So I read his comments yesterday (or the day before) on PFT, and I had zero problem with it, nor do I feel he was bad mouthing the team.

He was stating his displeasure that his deal is not done, therefore he is in a delicate position where he is liable and could invalidate the contract were he to injure himself trying to get/stay ready for his physical and training camp.

I think every one of us would be the same way if our employment contract hinged on passing a physical, but we are at risk for injury that would cause failing the physical if we work out, but we can't schedule the physical.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 07:03 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: So someone help my clarifying is Trae in the wrong for being upset or are the Bengals in the wrong for following protocol and waiting for their facility to open?

I don't fault him for being frustrated with not being able to go to work, if that's what it is. With Covid, I think alot of us, too many of us have felt that way. I hope he's not mad at the Bengals, though. If anything, he should be mad at the whole situation. He couldn't believe that the Bengals don't want to get his deal signed.  
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 09:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So I read his comments yesterday (or the day before) on PFT, and I had zero problem with it, nor do I feel he was bad mouthing the team.

He was stating his displeasure that his deal is not done, therefore he is in a delicate position where he is liable and could invalidate the contract were he to injure himself trying to get/stay ready for his physical and training camp.

I think every one of us would be the same way if our employment contract hinged on passing a physical, but we are at risk for injury that would cause failing the physical if we work out, but we can't schedule the physical.

No, he was taking shots. If he had just said he was displeased with the situation because he was afraid to push his workouts, that would be one thing. Instead, he took it to the next level and said other teams (using exaggerated numbers) were allowing private physicals and why couldn't the Bengals do that for him. I don't think he has endeared himself to the FO and coaching staff, instead he probably just dug himself into a hole that Phillips is just itching to fill in. 
Reply/Quote
Wonder what happened to all that talk of Zac finally bringing in "his type of player".

Not just talent but "leaders with the right attitude"?

Also funny that this talk is coming from the one player who I feel we grossly overpaid to come here.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 07:36 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Darius Phillips reading the article:

[Image: 625.jpg]

Look like Darius has been partaking of the cookie dough ice cream to get through the Rona... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 08:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wonder what happened to all that talk of Zac finally bringing in "his type of player".  

Also funny that this talk is coming from the one player who I feel we grossly overpaid to come here.

[Image: giphy-2020-07-08T001956.843.gif?w=480]

Reply/Quote
If it all falls through the great Dre Kirkpatrick is still on the market!
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 08:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wonder what happened to all that talk of Zac finally bringing in "his type of player".  

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  He may be playing himself right out of a contract.  Either that, or maybe he is already injured?
Reply/Quote
If Waynes has not signed yet with the Bengals then he should be free to sign with another team if he wants to.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 05:34 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I see both sides of this.  Obviously I understand it has to be frustrating for Waynes to not have a deal finalized, and to not be able to fully train.  But at the same time I completely understand the stance of the Bengals.  Of course you want your own doctors and personnel to sign off on a player's health.  Especially when you're investing tens of millions of dollars into them.  I wouldn't trust an outside source to do this either.

Unfortunately for Mr. Waynes we're in the midst of a pandemic, and the Bengals are unable to schedule this as they would normally.  Does it kinda suck?  Yeah, I'm sure it does.  But at the same time, a lot of things suck right now.  A lot of people have suffered much greater losses, and occur daily inconveniences and equally significant changes to their respective norms due to this issue.

Personally, I think he and his agent would be best served keeping this to themselves, at least until it results in an actual  loss of income.  Because as it stands right now, he'll still get paid. He'll just wait longer than normal.  Do you really need to be publically airing out complaints before you've even played a down here?  Can you really fault your new employer for things that are out of their control?

Let's be honest, Trae Waynes is coming off a 8 million dollar deal, and just inked a new deal for 42 million.  All of this at the age of 27.  Just to put into perspective of just how much money this is, it would take an upper-middle class person making 100k a year 80 years just to equal what Waynes made on a rookie contract.  And now his net worth is going to increase over 500% from that.

I'm sorry, comments from some of these athletes today strike me as more and more tone-deaf.  If you look at what's going on around this country right now, you'll find a lot of people are hurting.  No one is going to feel any sympathy for a multi-millionaire that has to wait a few extra months to sign a 14mil year contract.  So you can't work out like you would if the deal were inked?  Boo freaking hoo.  Just be glad you're not one of the millions of fans that support your league that are wondering how the hell they're going to pay rent next month.

What Wes here said nails it.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2020, 03:39 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If it all falls through the great Dre Kirkpatrick is still on the market!

He whines less... Just sayin'.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Possible Translation:

"I'm not worth that kind of money. Please HURRY UP and sign me before you realize this."

I already have my "Trae Wayne's sucks" (when comparing performance to contract) mantra ready to go.

I really wish the Bengals didn't make this terrible offer.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2020, 08:05 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’d be able to live with this deal being voided, although I realize we currently have no cause for it.

He’s not getting this kind of money anywhere else.

Maybe the Bengals will realize with an uncertain cap next year that money is better spent on Mixon and Green?
Reply/Quote
Makes me like the pickup less, I like the Darius Phillips pic Harley did, made me laugh even if it is not Phillips lol

Seriously though, Phillips has a shot with the way WJ3 hasn't been getting the pics and the way Waynes is not great
in coverage. Phillips is a ballhawk and can take it the distance with his return abilities.
Reply/Quote
I understand what Waynes is saying. I also understand that he's overpaid.

I understand that teams see the future as uncertain, as even if the season is played, next year's salary cap will be based on this year's income, which I can only see as down.

On getting a physical though, I don't understand the issue. I can go to the doctor, people do every day. People are getting elective surgeries, which is far more risky. So I don't see why the guy can't get on a plane and see the doctor.

Airlines in the US surpassed 750,000 passengers a day last week, so there's room for some NFL players who don't live near their teams to just hop on over. For players who stay near by it's even less of an issue.

Maybe Mike Brown or his kids are seeing red and want an out on these contracts they offered for fear that they'll have to eat some next season when the cap falls. They won't be able to let Reader take a physical and sign him while refusing to let Waynes do the same. The greatest off-season free agency moves by the team, ever, could return to the usual Mike Brown off-season we all know and love, err hate. With Mike Brown ya just never know what's going on in that head of his.

Reply/Quote