Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trae Waynes released
It's a move everyone knew was coming.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Very Bold prediction: Two signings upcoming - Mr Spain and Mr Gilmore. (Excuse an old guy for some very wishful thinking).
Reply/Quote
I’m gonna miss that guy.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 04:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Damn, Irwin must be expensive.

FWIW, they did Waynes no favors by keeping him this long.

True, I’ve been thinking that for a while. Holding onto him this long really made no sense. I get holding onto Hopkins until we have the interior of the line sorted out, but Waynes was never really a part of the team play wise. Cutting him lost us nothing on the field.

That said, after playing 0 meaningful snaps in 2 years he likely wouldn’t get much traction until a week or two into FA anyway so don’t think it’ll hurt him much.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am guessing we are wrapping up a deal with a new CB (or other expensive free agent) right now.

The ONLY reason I can see that we held onto Waynes was waiting to sign his replacement.

Maybe. But, I suspect we would have heard a rumor about a FA CB signing if one were imminent.
Reply/Quote

(03-21-2022, 04:51 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: True. The timing is kinda odd.

Got to think he didn’t try to get healthy or play hurt.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals just wasted 31 million dollars on this guy.

If you think he is coming back, you're out of your minds.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Maybe. But, I suspect we would have heard a rumor about a FA CB signing if one were imminent.

Has to be some hard feelings by the Bengals. Not their MO
Reply/Quote
About damn time.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Got to think he didn’t try to get healthy or play hurt.

No evidence of that at all.

Don't know why so many fans make it personal when a player gets injured.
Reply/Quote
They did the right thing. As much as you may hate Waynes, I think it's unfair the blame him for his injuries. There were some articles around back in 2021 and 2020 about Waynes getting frustated and mad because of his injuries. That wasn't a Cordy Glenn like situation (correct if I'm wrong about Glenn).
Reply/Quote
I read when the Bengals cut Waynes they wrote it in the sand at the beach he's been living the past 2 years. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No evidence of that at all.

Don't know why so many fans make it personal when a player gets injured.

Absolutely and by everything I've seen Trey is a great guy . Do folks think Trey DIDN'T want to make $15 MIL this year? He got injured; it happens. I have 0 problem with dude getting cut, but the timing sucks for the kid. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Not positive where they stand on cap room after this (and obviously depends on Collins contract terms) but my limited understanding says that they have some room to spend (after considering cost of draft picks and a small carryforward balance to 2023). And they are in a great spot if they have room to spend at this point - no big needs so can look for best value (what veteran wants to play for a contender on a 1 year deal)
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Absolutely and by everything I've seen Trey is a great guy . Do folks think Trey DIDN'T want to make $15 MIL this year? He got injured; it happens. I have 0 problem with dude getting cut, but the timing sucks for the kid. 

I thought of this a couple of days ago that a cut was inevitable and it would be better to do it sooner rather than later for his sake. But nobody is rushing out to sign a corner who hasn't played football in basically 2 yrs anyway. If he gets signed its gonna be awhile after free agency started and for cheap so I really don't think they did him any harm releasing him a week after free agency started. 
Reply/Quote
Making a late push for Gilmore. This is a good sign.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Spotrac has us at $23 mil, but Collins, Apple, and Irwin are not included. Probably closer to $10 mil. Can free $2.4 with cutting Fred Johnson.
Reply/Quote

I figured they were holding onto Waynes until they knew they had his replacement on the hook.

Maybe that was the Apple signing and they have just been pre-occupied with Collins the last few days and hadn't gotten around to processing Waynes' release? Or maybe there's something to be announced today.

Hopefully, we hear something soon.
Reply/Quote
Thank God. There was about 3-4 people on here actually trying to publicly convince (maybe themselves?) that keeping Waynes on the roster this year was maybe actually a good thing and perhaps extending him was the smart thing to do. Glad that phase can be over now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2022, 05:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Thank God. There was about 3-4 people on here actually trying to publicly convince (maybe themselves?) that keeping Waynes on the roster this year was maybe actually a good thing and perhaps extending him was the smart thing to do. Glad that phase can be over now.

IT'S NOT A PHASE, DAD
Reply/Quote