Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Training Camp Chat/News/Updates
No, even with the current starters, I dont trust it

the run game was worse in 2022 than it was in 2021

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 01:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Steelers …. Pickett has to be solid. Ravens … Lamar can he stay healthy and be successful with less running? Cleveland….Watson back to form and the roster worst in the division. Cincy…. OL and slow starts?

I agree all of our opponents are better but our roster is deeper. I think we are still the best

Is it though?   Our offensive line does not appear to be all that deep, and except for Raymond Johnson III our defensive ends did next to nothing.

And I know everyone is raving about Iosivas and Jones, but I was not really impressed.  They had a hard time getting separation against backups and were about 50/50 on contested catches.  I will say that I am certainly not qualified to render an informed opinion, but that was my take.

And backup QB was pretty suspect as well.

LOVE our starters, but I'm not convinced of our depth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 03:03 PM)3wt Wrote: Is it though?   Our offensive line does not appear to be all that deep, and except for Raymond Johnson III our defensive ends did next to nothing.

And I know everyone is raving about Iosivas and Jones, but I was not really impressed.  They had a hard time getting separation against backups and were about 50/50 on contested catches.  I will say that I am certainly not qualified to render an informed opinion, but that was my take.

It was worthy of plenty of consternation on my part. But I do think we have the best team however you want gauge it.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 03:03 PM)3wt Wrote: Is it though?   Our offensive line does not appear to be all that deep, and except for Raymond Johnson III our defensive ends did next to nothing.

May wanna go check out the depth on the other AFCN teams. You might be surprised to see they are just as bad, if not worse, than the Bengals in some positions.

Pretty much everyone has bad OL depth.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up that they tank for the first pick of the draft next year, huh? That feels like a million years ago now, eh?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The QBs this preseason were so inaccurate (terrible ball placement) that expecting the receivers to be able to separate a lot was unrealistic. Getting separation involves knowing where to run to to get the ball, and with Siemian and company unable to hit receivers in stride they did not have this luxury. If you watch them they were forced to constantly be eyeing the QB to try to know where to break for the ball.
Reply/Quote

Nice camp for Yoshi and the DJ’s.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 06:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Ugh.  I really hoped that Battle would turn out to be a steal.  He had some good plays early in the games but he really fell off with missed assignments and tackles.  Hopefully it's something that he can overcome.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 03:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: May wanna go check out the depth on the other AFCN teams. You might be surprised to see they are just as bad, if not worse, than the Bengals in some positions.

Pretty much everyone has bad OL depth.

Thank you for objectivity and a rational observation.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 06:41 PM)Roland Wrote: Ugh.  I really hoped that Battle would turn out to be a steal.  He had some good plays early in the games but he really fell off with missed assignments and tackles.  Hopefully it's something that he can overcome.

It's just pre-season. I don't know how anyone can really evaluate any player from it, unless you're a coach and know what you're asking the player to do. There's no scheme or anything. We'll see what we have in the rookies in a year or two. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 07:12 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's just pre-season. I don't know how anyone can really evaluate any player from it, unless you're a coach and know what you're asking the player to do. There's no scheme or anything. We'll see what we have in the rookies in a year or two. 

I agree its preseason, but you don't need a coaches keen eye or knowledge to see a missed tackle when you see one. Battle had a couple missed tackles in game 3 and its possible others in the other games but I don't recall. 

One of the missed tackles lead to a TD because he whiffed at the 5-6 yard line. If he makes the tackle maybe we hold them to 3. It's unclear if the coverage was his but he was the deep safety on that side and not within 10 yards of the guy when he caught it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 06:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Looks like I was really wrong about Iosivas!!
Reply/Quote
The Bengals future success is tied into very good drafts. If all 8 picks make the team, then progress as they gain experience, it will help us with future salary caps.

In 2023 we drafted:

1- DE
2- CB's
2- WR's
1 - safety
1 punter
1- RB

The high cap hits are normally DE, CB and WR.

So key Bengals develop these young guys so we have some lower end cap hit players on the roster
For example, our punter saves millions versus Huber spend in the past next 3 years
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 12:46 PM)3wt Wrote: Looks like I was really wrong about Iosivas!!

I thought the early hype was a bit misplaced myself, but he impressed me this PS. His size and athleticism with his ability to block 
out smaller Defenders is a mismatch in our favor that we can use right off the bat. Iosivas could seriously help us this year in the 
RZ at the very least and spell Tee or if Tee gets banged up be that other big body for Burrow to throw to.

(08-29-2023, 01:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The Bengals future success is tied into very good drafts. If all 8 picks make the team, then progress as they gain experience, it will help us with future salary caps.

In 2023 we drafted:

1- DE
2- CB's
2- WR's
1 - safety
1 punter
1- RB

The high cap hits are normally DE, CB and WR.

So key Bengals develop these young guys so we have some lower end cap hit players on the roster
For example, our punter saves millions versus Huber spend in the past next 3 years

Yep, draft well and we are good for the future. I liked what I saw from all of these guys at times.

Murphy had 1 nice stop against the Pack and he was about the one guy who didn't make a big impression but he doesn't have to.

Murphy is about the future and helping us stop the run right now while he works on his pass rushing discipline along with technique.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2023, 06:41 PM)Roland Wrote: Ugh.  I really hoped that Battle would turn out to be a steal.  He had some good plays early in the games but he really fell off with missed assignments and tackles.  Hopefully it's something that he can overcome.

I am gonna be ringing the "we should have picked Washington" bell for a while. Though we did get the pick that became Robbins out of it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 01:31 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am gonna be ringing the "we should have picked Washington" bell for a while. Though we did get the pick that became Robbins out of it. 

Battle had a decent preseason. Yes he missed some tackles but that can be worked on. What was important is he didn't make a lot of mental mistakes. And they were even using him on some series to set the defense, which requires recognition skills. 
Reply/Quote