Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Training camp news, notes, thoughts, reaction, etc
(07-30-2018, 04:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I love our fans that root for our players, all of them even those who have not lived up to their draft position or disappointed us in the past.

We all know the OL was the major reason for our demise in 2018, so let's hope and pray our new OL coach and OC can get this unit playing great regardless of the unit on the field.

I love it when our DL like Dunlap talk about the OL seems meaner in camp. Let's hope that nastiness carries over to the games that count.

I may not sound like it sometimes, but I do hope all of the players do well, as how else will the team ever make it to the SB again.

I hoped Ross would have had a great rookie year even though I would have not made that pick and was very much against it. I hope he has a great sophomore year.

But, I'm not going to pretend like they've done great until they actually do as the season goes on when it counts. I've been faked out by too much hype over some players before. I'm sure we all have a list of players we expected to do a lot more than they did.

If you look at it like this: Ogbuehi was an absolute negative for his 1st three years and Ross was for his 1st year, but if the team can get these two guys to live up to half their hype or, better yet 75%, then they'll be like adding two decent players at positions which were holes last year.

Both of these guys happen to be examples of drafting injured players high and I'll continue to be against that draft practice. If the team would have drafted a player ready to play 3 years ago instead of Ogbuehi they would have gotten 3 years of production at a position. That's worth a lot more that drafting a guy and taking years to develop him. This is not a knock on the players themselves, but rather it's a knock on the Bengals front office.

I hope the front office gets better and works out how to sign Geno and Carlos and Dennard. I don't like seeing our best players go elsewhere.

As for Mike Brown, well, he's a lost cause.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 09:42 AM)The Real Deal Wrote:

Tyler looks to have lost some weight? The mullet was only cool on Joe Dirt.....
Reply/Quote
Wow no news about Randy Bullock?? Lol
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 04:40 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Per Dan Hoard:

New #Bengals O-line coach Frank Pollack has frequently yelled the same three words in this running play drill: "Tight. Fast. Violent."

Kind of OT, but does anyone have any info on how the OLine unit in Dallas is doing?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Wow no news about Randy Bullock?? Lol

Fat Randy appears to be winning the competition with Jonathan Brown, according to CJ.

We may finally get to see JB kick in the PS this year though, as he hasn't kicked in-game yet.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 12:15 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I was hoping to see something about the Rookies reporting yesterday but that didn't happen. So we read stories about how we are celebrating our 30 year anniversary of our last SB.... Hopefully, we don't kill that like we did with our 50th anniversary last year...

Is that something that should be celebrated?

Look at us, it's been 30 years since we completed for a championship!

Just doesn't seem right.

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:29 PM)The Real Deal Wrote:

Ah, but will you play any better Dre?

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 11:36 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Both of these guys happen to be examples of drafting injured players high and I'll continue to be against that draft practice. If the team would have drafted a player ready to play 3 years ago instead of Ogbuehi they would have gotten 3 years of production at a position. That's worth a lot more that drafting a guy and taking years to develop him. This is not a knock on the players themselves, but rather it's a knock on the Bengals front office.

Tons of great players come out of college injured.  I have no problem with taking a guy who may be limited his rookie year.  But it should never be anything that takes multiple years to recover.  Og was not a bust because of an injury issue, and if Ross is 100% it was not a huge loss.  Only a little more than half of last years first round picks (18) started more than 8 games.  I know a lot of those non-starters contributed a lot more than Ross, but there are fewer huge impact rookies than people think.  

If you never take injured players then you miss out on guys like Deshaun Watson, Leonard Fournette, and Anthony Munoz.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tons of great players come out of college injured.  I have no problem with taking a guy who may be limited his rookie year.  But it should never be anything that takes multiple years to recover.  Og was not a bust because of an injury issue, and if Ross is 100% it was not a huge loss.  Only a little more than half of last years first round picks (18) started more than 8 games.  I know a lot of those non-starters contributed a lot more than Ross, but there are fewer huge impact rookies than people think.  

If you never take injured players then you miss out on guys like Deshaun Watson, Leonard Fournette, and Anthony Munoz.

We have different views of drafting. That's why I'm better!  Wink

Watson couldn't finish the year, although he is a better QB than Dalton, he wasn't available which knocks him down. Fournette would not have been my pick in the 1st round. Munoz was just the best LT ever and the team knew it was a gamble. But that was Paul Brown making the choice [totally different], not want-a-be-man like Mike Boy.

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 11:51 AM)The Real Deal Wrote:

This was a great breakdown of the first week. Thanks for posting it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tons of great players come out of college injured.  I have no problem with taking a guy who may be limited his rookie year.  But it should never be anything that takes multiple years to recover.  Og was not a bust because of an injury issue, and if Ross is 100% it was not a huge loss.  Only a little more than half of last years first round picks (18) started more than 8 games.  I know a lot of those non-starters contributed a lot more than Ross, but there are fewer huge impact rookies than people think.  

I agree there are fewer impact rookies than a lot people think. I always was led to believe that for most players, its their 3rd year where it all begins to click. The way I see it, good consistent production before that general time is just an added bonus in my mind. There are more and more impact rookies in more recent years it seems, but by-in-large most players take 2-3 years to see if they are actual busts or not.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Wow no news about Randy Bullock?? Lol

Sadly, we spend a lot of time and energy discussing all of these players being the savior on both sides of the ball, then have to hold our breath over and over again when a kicker goes for the game winner from 45 yards out in high wind conditions. I will not stat the debate again, but I think the best long term answer was Elliott, the guy has a huge leg and proved it under pressure with 60+ yard game winning kick.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:18 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Kind of OT, but does anyone have any info on how the OLine unit in Dallas is doing?  Ninja

Just scoured the first page and comments of BTB (their version of CincyJungle) and the only oline-related things were a little blurb about Connor Williams and Frederick killing a guy (can't see Twitter videos at work).

So either, it isn't as big a deal for them, they are fine or they are blind.

On that note, man, there are a TON of morons in those comments; half of one group of posters were giving Jaylon Smith **** for not being able to cover a WR, 1 on 1.

Morons.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 12:44 PM)BengalChris Wrote: We have different views of drafting. That's why I'm better!  Wink

Watson couldn't finish the year, although he is a better QB than Dalton, he wasn't available which knocks him down. Fournette would not have been my pick in the 1st round. Munoz was just the best LT ever and the team knew it was a gamble. But that was Paul Brown making the choice [totally different], not want-a-be-man like Mike Boy.

Lame  Really?
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 11:30 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think one more mold that needs to be broken. Will the cut or trade veterans prior to start of the year if there are others more deserving of the roster spot? I think 3 vets come to mind, Johnson, LaFell and Rey off the top of my head.

Rey isn't going anywhere IMO. While they say this is the deepest at LBer we have been in awhile, I'm not seeing it. Vinnie is unique, in that while he has shown he can't really hold up as a starter all season, he is a dependable backup, and, most importantly, can plug in and play all 3 linebacker spots effectively. I don't think any of the other backers can say that.....
Reply/Quote
The Bengals amazing potential at WR:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/7/31/17631710/2018-bengals-training-camp-wide-receiver-talent-green-auden-malone-ross

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2018, 01:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Sadly, we spend a lot of time and energy discussing all of these players being the savior on both sides of the ball, then have to hold our breath over and over again when a kicker goes for the game winner from 45 yards out in high wind conditions. I will not stat the debate again, but I think the best long term answer was Elliott, the guy has a huge leg and proved it under pressure with 60+ yard game winning kick.

You either want to have competition and let the spot go to the winner, or you don't. Bullock outkicked Elliott last year. I liked Elliott, but he didn't get it done.
Reply/Quote
The skinny podcast:

Reply/Quote