Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Trans Day of Visibility
I was reading through Crow's post and responses in the meme and joke thread and wanted to make a post here about this because I saw on Twitter Michelle Obama is trending due to the fact the republicans are still pushing the lie that she is really a man.

It's kind of sad that all these years later the idea of a strong black woman being the first lady still drives these alleged men crazy.

One of their go-to posts is the lat Joan Rivers, who I personally loved, saying "everyone know she is a transgender".

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

And how Rivers died shortly after de to "complications" for a surgery.

The amount of disconnect to take a comedian's words as the only truth and then to throw in a conspiracy about her death really sums up the base of the republican party to me.

Of course there is more.  Like a clip of Michelle saying she that if she had worried about being cute and who liked her when she was young she wouldn't have been married to the POTUS.  

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"&gt;&lt;/script&gt;</span>

I almost feel bad for these guys.  Almost.

Then I realize they are spreading this to their circle of friends and family and they are either heavily closeted themselves or would love to be with a woman like Michelle Obama but instead they are incels.

It's a free country.  If you don't want to "celebrate" anything you don't have to celebrate it.  But the hate that comes from the right over this issue, and really anything that isn't straight, white Christian families, is sda and doing more to destroy this country than any rainbow flag or Presidential Declaration ever could.

Happy Easter!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
Happy Easter everyone!

He/Him/His/They is Risen!

Why have we never seen any pictures of her pregnant? Ninja

It’s a dumbass conspiracy theory. I actually think she’s rather attractive, especially the way she carries herself. No *****.
Reply/Quote
My stance on trans people is that as a straight man there is only one penis on this planet I care about, and it's my own.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have zero issue if you want to make a day of the year Transgender day of Visibility. Making it on Easter Sunday is an insanely disrespectful thing to do, and I'm not a Christian.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 01:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have zero issue if you want to make a day of the year Transgender day of Visibility.  Making it on Easter Sunday is an insanely disrespectful thing to do, and I'm not a Christian.

They made Easter on the Transgender day of visibility.  It's been March 31st for 15 years.

That's been posted multiple times.

Easter is the first sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

There was no disrespect just Christian claiming victimhood again.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 01:24 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have zero issue if you want to make a day of the year Transgender day of Visibility.  Making it on Easter Sunday is an insanely disrespectful thing to do, and I'm not a Christian.

The day of recognition is static... it's Mar 31 worldwide every single year.  Easter changes every year.  It has fallen on Mar 31st 3 times since 1700 including today and will not fall on this date again until 2086.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 01:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: They made Easter on the Transgender day of visibility.  It's been March 31st for 15 years.

That's been posted multiple times.

Easter is the first sunday after the first full moon after the vernal equinox.

There was disrespect just Christian claiming victimhood again.

(03-31-2024, 01:38 PM)pally Wrote: The day of recognition is static... it's Mar 31 worldwide every single year.  Easter changes every year.  It has fallen on Mar 31st 3 times since 1700 including today and will not fall on this date again until 2086.

I am aware, I was raised Episcopalian.  It should have been moved this year.  Having any sort of "X" day on a major religious day is a bad idea, be it Judaism, Islam or Christianity.

Reply/Quote
Why ?

They are not people ? God hates them ?

Or it might offend people who are outraged on daily basis by everything ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 03:06 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Or it might offend people who are outraged on daily basis by everything ?

Shh, don't talk about the left like that.  They'll kick you out of the tree house.

Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 03:20 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Shh, don't talk about the left like that.  They'll kick you out of the tree house.

That hilarious given that only the right is offended about this AND they are making up the reason they are outraged by saying Biden did this on purpose because it was Easter.

But I'm sure someone will be along to tell you "both sides" get offended about things all time.

Any minute now... Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2024, 02:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I am aware, I was raised Episcopalian.  It should have been moved this year.  Having any sort of "X" day on a major religious day is a bad idea, be it Judaism, Islam or Christianity.

The inherent risk of a holiday that migrates days based on something other than a fixed date is that it may conflict with other holidays or celebrations.

Easter is held on the first Sunday following the full moon that occurs after the Spring Equinox.

Based on the lunar months and their relation to the solar year, this could theoretically happen anywhere between mid March and late April.

Trans Visibility Day, on the other hand, operates on a fixed day. March 31st.

Is has for 15 years.

You are falling victim to the right wing outrage machine right now. This is a non-story.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 10:01 AM)CJD Wrote: The inherent risk of a holiday that migrates days based on something other than a fixed date is that it may conflict with other holidays or celebrations.

Easter is held on the first Sunday following the full moon that occurs after the Spring Equinox.

Based on the lunar months and their relation to the solar year, this could theoretically happen anywhere between mid March and late April.

Is has for 15 years.

You are falling victim to the right wing outrage machine right now. This is a non-story.

Next year Easter is on Hitler's birthday.  

Can you imagine if Trump is in office when that happens?!?!  The outrage!!
Reply/Quote
Who cares, I don't.
But I do want my own Cranky Old Guy national holiday!
you know i'm not feeling included in all of these National Holidays. Stop the Divison!
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 10:26 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Who cares, I don't.
But I do want my own Cranky Old Guy national holiday!
you know i'm not feeling included in all of these National Holidays. Stop the Divison!

When I worked in radio I had a big book of "National Days" that we'd read for laughs.

That was just pre-internet.

I got you.  It's not a national holiday but maybe we can start a letter writing campaign?

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/curmudgeons-day/

Quote:Curmudgeons Day

Raise a cheer for the lovable grumps who add a dash of comedy to our lives by honoring their cantankerous charm and embracing the laughter they bring!

Whether they exhibit symptoms of being a grumbler, complainer, fault-finder or nitpicker (or all of the above), a curmudgeon is known to be deeply grumpy and always in a sour mood. No matter how well things are going at the moment, this type of person has the amazing ability to find anything to complain about. 

And this day, Curmudgeons Day, is all about celebrating and paying heed to these crusty and cantankerous old guys!

Curmudgeons Day is one of those days that many people find hard to believe is real. And, of course, it’s not exactly declared as a national holiday by any governments, but that doesn’t make it any less meaningful. Because almost everyone has had a curmudgeon in their life at one point or another.

There are many schools of thought regarding Curmudgeons Day. Some say it’s a holiday where people are supposed to stay home all day and do nothing. Others, though, see it as the one day in the year when anyone and everyone is permitted to be as miserable and grouchy as they like. In fact, many people consider this to be a day when grumpiness should be celebrated!

History of Curmudgeons Day
As it turns out, Curmudgeons Day can be traced back to American entertainer, W.C. Fields, as it is celebrated on the anniversary of his birth, which was January 29, 1880. Born William Claude Dukenfield, his stage name of W.C. Fields is well known for his comic acts where he portrayed antisocial, bad-tempered characters. In addition, Fields was also world-famous for his uncanny ability to juggle, even performing for Queen Victoria of England!

While Curmudgeons Day doesn’t date back quite that far, it still offers an opportunity to give a nod to those disagreeable, ill-humored old men that pretty much everyone knows has a soft heart buried underneath somewhere!

How to Celebrate Curmudgeons Day
There’s no need to worry, because it isn’t completely necessary to be grumpy to celebrate this day because it is usually celebrated tongue-in-cheek. Even those who aren’t feeling too ill-tempered can consider some of these ideas and plans for observing Curmudgeons Day without necessarily being grumpy themselves:

Cheer Up a Curmudgeon
Spread the cheer by finding a curmudgeon and making it a goal to make them laugh. Be prepared with silly jokes and puns. Make some strange faces. Do a little dance or find some other ways that it would be possible for a grumpy sourpuss to chuckle or, at the very least, crack a smile.

Of course, for those who are self-proclaimed curmudgeons, perhaps it’s time to show a little gratefulness and try to enjoy life a little more. Look in the mirror and take a few moments to appreciate life and think about why it isn’t necessarily better to be grumpy. After all, there’s almost always something good that can be found for those who try hard enough!

Watch a Film Featuring a Curmudgeon 
Curmudgeons in real life aren’t necessarily everyone’s favorite person to deal with, especially when they live next door and measure the length of your grass! However, in the movies or on television they tend to make interesting characters that are written into stories quite a bit. 

In celebration of Curmudgeons Day, check out some of the fussbudget-y characters in these shows:

• Grumpy Old Men (1993). This American comedy features actors Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau as two curmudgeon-y next door neighbors who can’t seem to get along with each other.
  • A Man Called Otto (2022): Tom Hanks and his son, Truman Hanks, both star as Otto (with Truman as a younger version) in this movie that tells the story of a widower who has given up on life.
  • Dennis the Menace (1993). Also starring Walter Matthau (who seems to make a quintessential curmudgeon) as grumpy Mr. Wilson, this one is a take on the comic strip dating back to the 1950s.
  • Up (2009). Sure, this one is an animated character, but Carl Frederickson (voiced by Ed Asner) still embodies the important characteristics of a stubborn curmudgeon who is also lovable and makes viewers root for him throughout the film.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 10:33 AM)GMDino Wrote: When I worked in radio I had a big book of "National Days" that we'd read for laughs.

That was just pre-internet.

I got you.  It's not a national holiday but maybe we can start a letter writing campaign?

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/curmudgeons-day/

I'm in!
And that movie UP! Killed me!
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 10:01 AM)CJD Wrote: The inherent risk of a holiday that migrates days based on something other than a fixed date is that it may conflict with other holidays or celebrations.

Is has for 15 years.

I'm not falling victim to anything.  I just find it in poor taste.  If Easter can be moved so can this day.  I'd make the exact same point if it was a major religious holiday for Islam or Judaism as well.  I'm an atheist leaning agnostic, so I have no skin in the game.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 12:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm not falling victim to anything.  I just find it in poor taste.  If Easter can be moved so can this day.  I'd make the exact same point if it was a major religious holiday for Islam or Judaism as well.  I'm an atheist leaning agnostic, so I have no skin in the game.

Okay.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 12:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm not falling victim to anything.  I just find it in poor taste.  If Easter can be moved so can this day.  I'd make the exact same point if it was a major religious holiday for Islam or Judaism as well.  I'm an atheist leaning agnostic, so I have no skin in the game.

We're in the middle of Ramadan.  I don't see hysterical posts from offended Muslims

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Well what’s the head count? How many survived? I just got back up to the surface from the doomsday bunker I had prepped for trans vis doomsday
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 12:58 PM)pally Wrote: We're in the middle of Ramadan.  I don't see hysterical posts from offended Muslims

And that makes it ok them? 
Reply/Quote