Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-20-2024, 02:48 PM)jj22 Wrote:

Thanks for this JJ22. Rock On

(03-20-2024, 03:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree and would add this applies to any team. Teams have better depth at some positions than others, the key is to not have injuries (all teams will have injuries unless very lucky) in positions of poor depth. I look at our roster and I see a lot of experience. Fans can chastise Carmen, but he has game experience. Our safety room is extremely deep not even considering Anderson who was hurt in 2023. 

We have 2 QB's who have proven they can win games. If we are done with FA, I don't think we are, I would be happy with the roster and heading into a draft with 10 picks including 4 within top 100 picks. 

Yes, I don't think we are done in FA either and we have done a good job with this last signing. If we can stay healthy we will be a front
runner for the Super Bowl this year. Just have to look at what we have looked like with a healthy Joe Burrow the last 3 years or so and 
we can judge those teams. When he isn't healthy and players like Sam and Logan aren't healthy we aren't the same team.
Reply/Quote
Was pissed when the Bengals let Whit go personally. He deserved to retire a Bengal and to make matters worse imho they did a good man wrong while continuing to keep a punk like Pacman on the team again.

Yet in hindsight I'm glad Whit got his SB ring for all his exemplary years of service in the NFL. The irony of that move was that it most likely came at the Bengals SB ring expense. Pretty sure if you were to take Whit off the Rams and back on the Bengals that year, the Bengals win that SB.

So am happy for Whit on how it turned out for him though it was a debacle by the FO to one of their very most loyal Bengals ever. He never complained even when things were run poorly and all it took was to add the third year and he stays. Probably goes into the HOF wearing a Rams jersey as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 05:42 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Was pissed when the Bengals let Whit go personally. He deserved to retire a Bengal and to make matters worse imho they did a good man wrong while continuing to keep a punk like Pacman on the team again.

Yet in hindsight I'm glad Whit got his SB ring for all his exemplary years of service in the NFL. The irony of that move was that it most likely came at the Bengals SB ring expense. Pretty sure if you were to take Whit off the Rams and back on the Bengals that year, the Bengals win that SB.

So am happy for Whit on how it turned out for him though but it was a debacle by the FO to one of their very most loyal Bengals ever. He never complained even when things were run poorly and all it took was to add the third year and he stays. Probably goes into the HOF wearing a Rams jersey as well.

Yeah, and Whit still loves the Bengals and his time here. I didn't want him to leave and thought if there was a Tackle that could last 
that long it would of been Whit with how he takes care of his body. So true, we definitely win that Super Bowl if he was on our team.
Reply/Quote
Did we ever get the terms of the deal?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Speaking of 77's Trent Brown sure looks like a major upgrade over Jonah when watching those highlights.
Reply/Quote
I couldn't take my eyes off of Mac Jones. My goodness was that gross looking.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 06:33 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I couldn't take my eyes off of Mac Jones. My goodness was that gross looking.

That is some bad QB play that is for sure lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
The Rams paid a premium for Whit because they needed a veteran leader at a high-leverage position on their offensive line. They were piecing together their SB run. We had OogieBoogie "expected" to take over. Had the Bengals needed to draft a LT THAT draft, I would expect they would have tried much harder to retain him. Hindsight, yeah it sucks they let him get away but you can't fault them for moving on because they felt it was time. I think it hurts Bengals fans more because Cedric sucked so bad. Had he been a worthy 1RP, and played up to his draft position, we probably wouldn't still be talking about this.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 07:00 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: The Rams paid a premium for Whit because they needed a veteran leader at a high-leverage position on their offensive line. They were piecing together their SB run. We had OogieBoogie "expected" to take over. Had the Bengals needed to draft a LT THAT draft, I would expect they would have tried much harder to retain him. Hindsight, yeah it sucks they let him get away but you can't fault them for moving on because they felt it was time. I think it hurts Bengals fans more because Cedric sucked so bad. Had he been a worthy 1RP, and played up to his draft position, we probably wouldn't still be talking about this.

People also never point out that the line was pretty damn bad with Whitworth in 2016. That Bengals team was in decline, and that decline was gonna continue with or without Andrew Whitworth. They prepared for life after him at LT, it didn't work, and that's that... 7 years ago.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
When Whitworth got into his 30's the Bengals kept screwing him around on his contracts so he got fed up and left. At first the Bengals only gave him a 2 year contract. After that 2 year contract was up they only gave him a 1 year contract. When that was up they tried to give him another 2 year contract and that is when LA came in and said we will sign you to a 3 year contract and give you more money than the Bengals.

If Whitworth had been injury prone or was showing signs of falling off, I could understand but he was about as durable as you could get and he was playing at an elite level.
Reply/Quote
Is it possible for someone to start a thread about Whitworth and move all these posts? This thread is about Trent Brown who we signed in 2024, not Andrew Whitworth who left via FA 8 years ago. Get over it. You were "right" and the Bengals (and anyone who agreed w/ the move) were "wrong".
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I like the signing, I just hope he can stay healthy AND we draft our RT of the future in this supposedly loaded draft. I don't blame the guy for being pissed if NE really did sit him so he couldn't hit his pay escalators, that's some shady ish right there. He's a BIG dude, my concerns are how well he can hold up in pass pro on an island, in a scheme that does the line no favors, coming from a team that historically runs the ball more than pass.

I'll be rooting for him this year, and hope he takes to the mentor role he'll no doubt be given if we draft our RT of the future. Hope he's unselfish and gives these AFCN pass rushers a run for their money this year!
Reply/Quote
No clue how much he signed for yet?
I don't see it out there??
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 01:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have 0 idea why folks are not happy w/ this signing. We needed a RT and got the best one available.

I'm sure the team has some Olinemen on their big-board and if one of their choosing is there at 18 they'll pull the trigger.

If not we'll go BPA at another thin position.

All this pick does is give us a high-quality RT on the roster.

Do folks realize one of the reasons he missed time is NE almost killed him giving him an IV?

I'm fine with him as  1 yr but not fine seeing him right now as future, his career over past 5 yrs gives me concern and hope we look #18 to solidify RT
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 07:07 PM)jason Wrote: People also never point out that the line was pretty damn bad with Whitworth in 2016. That Bengals team was in decline, and that decline was gonna continue with or without Andrew Whitworth. They prepared for life after him at LT, it didn't work, and that's that... 7 years ago.

Thank you.Clapping

The o-line would continue to decline, enough to the point where I didn't want to draft Burrow because I felt that he would get Andrew Luck'd out of the league, which is still very much of a possibility. I wanted them to trade down, trade down again and go heavy on the o-line. It's not that I didn't believe in Burrow, I didn't believe in the Bengals enough to take care of Burrow.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:04 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Thank you.Clapping

The o-line would continue to decline, enough to the point where I didn't want to draft Burrow because I felt that he would get Andrew Luck'd out of the league, which is still very much of a possibility. I wanted them to trade down, trade down again and go heavy on the o-line. It's not that I didn't believe in Burrow, I didn't believe in the Bengals enough to take care of Burrow.

Difference is Luck was durable in His career and took alot more hits also because of his style where Burrow has not been as durable and his style lends to less hits .
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 08:58 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I like the signing, I just hope he can stay healthy AND we draft our RT of the future in this supposedly loaded draft. I don't blame the guy for being pissed if NE really did sit him so he couldn't hit his pay escalators, that's some shady ish right there. He's a BIG dude, my concerns are how well he can hold up in pass pro on an island, in a scheme that does the line no favors, coming from a team that historically runs the ball more than pass.

I'll be rooting for him this year, and hope he takes to the mentor role he'll no doubt be given if we draft our RT of the future. Hope he's unselfish and gives these AFCN pass rushers a run for their money this year!

I honestly don't know a ton about him, but he's supposed to be very stout in pass protection on an island. We shall see... I've learned to believe it when I see it when it comes to our o line signings. I don't think any of them have been as advertised since they arrived in Cincinnati.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 08:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Is it possible for someone to start a thread about Whitworth and move all these posts? This thread is about Trent Brown who we signed in 2024, not Andrew Whitworth who left via FA 8 years ago. Get over it. You were "right" and the Bengals (and anyone who agreed w/ the move) were "wrong".

Don't really watch the Patriots unless playing the Bengals to be able to share much about him. Am happy the Bengals filled a need and freed their hands in the draft. Sounds as if he is solid from this thread and possibly an upgrade. Do you have anything other than he signed in 2024 per the thread seems to have slowed since this policing post. 

Tell us the IV story and possibly revive it. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:13 PM)jason Wrote: I honestly don't know a ton about him, but he's supposed to be very stout in pass protection on an island. We shall see... I've learned to believe it when I see it when it comes to our o line signings. I don't think any of them have been as advertised since they arrived in Cincinnati.

(03-21-2024, 06:22 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Don't really watch the Patriots unless playing the Bengals to be able to share much about him. Am happy the Bengals filled a need and freed their hands in the draft. Sounds as if he is solid from this thread and possibly an upgrade. Do you have anything other than he signed in 2024 per the thread seems to have slowed since this policing post. 

Tell us the IV story and possibly revive it. 

I believe they're looking at him as a bridge RT/swing backup. And we definitely need the depth!! Outside of Carman....and umm......we don't really have much NFL experienced backups. And I get it you're never gonna have 3 all-pros sitting on the bench waiting.

But I still believe we really need a RT at 18 and probably another late round interior Oline. 

I don't want to say well we were just a good Oline away, again.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:38 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Hill has always been a better situation rotational piece which is why I believe they brought Rankins in. To fill the starter role putting hill back to his relieve role where he was much better spelling the starter. Tartt with his run stopping ability wouldve been surely to take Readers spot/Role. If McKinnley Jackson were to brought in it would be to eventually fill Readers role. Ur calling hill the starter right now cuz of contracts when that’s not the case at all right now hill the starter do to lack of personnel. If tartt were to be brought in or they select sweat or Jackson it would be to fill Readers role/spot.

AtoZ Sports https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/bengals-winners-losers-free-agency-dax-hill-bj-hill-tee-higgins/

Hill the big winner playing next to Rankins
DT B.J. Hill: The best season of Hill's career came in 2021 when he had a capable running mate at 3-technique in Larry Ogunjobi. The duo helped spark a Bengals pass rush good enough to win the AFC North. What would happen if Hill was paired with an even better 3-tech? That's what the Bengals intend to find out with the signing of Sheldon Rankins.

Though he's not a one-for-one replacement for DJ Reader, Rankins will undoubtedly boost the Bengals' pass rush. His presence will keep Hill fresh throughout the season, which will have a positive impact on the soon-to-be 29-year old entering a contract year.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote