Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-22-2024, 09:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I still think they need to take a tackle with the 1st pick. Any time we rely on one individual signing, that person seems to get hurt. We need a better 3rd tackle than what's on the roster right now.

We need a better 3rd DT, 3rd CB and 3rd WR than what’s on the roster right now and you don’t need an injury to happen for a path to significant snaps (50%+).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 09:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: McCarthy has been moving up the board since combines etc.. will be shocked he does not go in top 17 and i have a feeling Penix might go also.. alot of teams in need of QBs

It would be surprising if McCarthy doesn’t go in the top 10 with the recent trade the Vikings did with the Texans. They gave themselves ammo to move up.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 09:25 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: We need a better 3rd DT, 3rd CB and 3rd WR than what’s on the roster right now and you don’t need an injury to happen for a path to significant snaps (50%+).

I might go along with a better corner (although we have a lot of talent in that room) but I disagree with WR. Boyd's replacement is already here with whoever steps up in camp this year, be it Yoshi or Jones. And Irwin is about as solid of a 4 as you're gonna find. With the addition of Gesicki (sp) and the emergence of Hudson as a solid pass catcher, WR's behind Chase and Higgins is the least of my concerns. I'd rather they focus on up front, which is what everyone complains about every year, adn then come draft time they want wide receivers.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 09:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I might go along with a better corner (although we have a lot of talent in that room) but I disagree with WR. Boyd's replacement is already here with whoever steps up in camp this year, be it Yoshi or Jones. And Irwin is about as solid of a 4 as you're gonna find. With the addition of Gesicki (sp) and the emergence of Hudson as a solid pass catcher, WR's behind Chase and Higgins is the least of my concerns. I'd rather they focus on up front, which is what everyone complains about every year, adn then come draft time they want wide receivers.

We didn’t complain about OL injuries last year.

Chase and Higgins the last two years has missed games… luckily they don’t overlap that much… or they haven’t in the past. We have no clue what we have in Andre or Jones and Tee is almost certainly not a bengals next year. Wide receiver contracts are going through the roof…

Getting a WR that you lock in for 5 years at a reasonable price (relative), with a path to 70%+ snaps year one and 90%+ snaps after year 1.

Our WR room behind tee and chase, for their career.

65 catches, 766 and 9 TDs.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 09:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I might go along with a better corner (although we have a lot of talent in that room) but I disagree with WR. Boyd's replacement is already here with whoever steps up in camp this year, be it Yoshi or Jones. And Irwin is about as solid of a 4 as you're gonna find. With the addition of Gesicki (sp) and the emergence of Hudson as a solid pass catcher, WR's behind Chase and Higgins is the least of my concerns. I'd rather they focus on up front, which is what everyone complains about every year, adn then come draft time they want wide receivers.

Agree, we drafted Jones in 4th round really to be the replacement for Boyd, i know he did not play much last year and when he did he struggled some with routes but have to give him more reps this year to see if he can be the slot WR replacement for Boyd...
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 10:01 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: We didn’t complain about OL injuries last year.

Chase and Higgins the last two years has missed games… luckily they don’t overlap that much… or they haven’t in the past. We have no clue what we have in Andre or Jones and Tee is almost certainly not a bengals next year. Wide receiver contracts are going through the roof…

Getting a WR that you lock in for 5 years at a reasonable price (relative), with a path to 70%+ snaps year one and 90%+ snaps after year 1.

Sorry have to disagree, on norm.. Oline go down more and longer than WRs so because we avoided the injury bug was against the norm, plus we did not play at the level we should have being pretty much injury free last year on Oline

also there is way more depth in WRs in the NFL and draft so we can look 3/4 round again for WR or if needed pick up a veteran before start of season... and Bengals drafted Jones in 4th seems very likely to replace Boyd.. Now if they are committed to not signing Tee, I can see them maybe taking his replacement this year but doubtful
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 10:09 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sorry have to disagree, on norm.. Oline go down more and longer than WRs so because we avoided the injury bug was against the norm, plus we did not play at the level we should have being pretty much injury free last year on Oline

also there is way more depth in WRs in the NFL and draft so we can look 3/4 round again for WR or if needed pick up a veteran before start of season... and Bengals drafted Jones in 4th seems very likely to replace Boyd.. Now if they are committed to not signing Tee, I can see them maybe taking his replacement this year but doubtful

Charlie jones and his 9 catches last year is going to take over 100 targets?
Reply/Quote
I expect Chuck Sizzle and Gesicki to both do a lot of slot.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 11:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Charlie jones and his 9 catches last year is going to take over 100 targets?

Could.  Have to give a guy a chance to get a chance.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 11:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Charlie jones and his 9 catches last year is going to take over 100 targets?

Jones was hurt and that derailed his rookie campaign. We will see in coming weeks if FO and Zac have faith WR#3 is currently on the roster.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 10:01 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: We didn’t complain about OL injuries last year.  

Chase and Higgins the last two years has missed games… luckily they don’t overlap that much… or they haven’t in the past.  We have no clue what we have in Andre or Jones and Tee is almost certainly not a bengals next year.  Wide receiver contracts are going through the roof…

Where did I say we complained about injuries? I said people are constantly complaining about our Oline, then wanting to take WR's when the draft starts.

Quote:
 I'd rather they focus on up front, which is what everyone complains about every year, and then come draft time they want wide receivers.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 11:57 AM)Joelist Wrote: I expect Chuck Sizzle and Gesicki to both do a lot of slot.

For sure
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 12:47 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm still against him in the first, he's getting ready for a once in a lifetime job opportunity, if he doesn't want to do the workouts then that's a red flag to me. 
No one is expecting a big guy like him to "wow" at the combine/work outs, but it would be nice to know he's not a slug either.

Did he at least get cleared medically? 

Definitely is a good question anytime a player skips workouts. I like to rely on film more than the Combine and pro days though just sayin'.
Reply/Quote
If yall talking about Harrison Jr. not working out that is a red flag for me too. Where is the drive to compete. Seems like he is hiding something (40 time), or feels entitled.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

If they throw to him 100 times...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 04:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If they throw to him 100 times...

If the queen had balls, she'd be king.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 04:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: If yall talking about Harrison Jr. not working out that is a red flag for me too. Where is the drive to compete. Seems like he is hiding something (40 time), or feels entitled.

Pretty sure he could crawl the 40 yard dash and still be the first non QB taken in the draft.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 12:12 PM)Stewy Wrote: Could.  Have to give a guy a chance to get a chance.

Why? Why do we have to give him a chance? He has college tape, was scouted, and had a full season in the building. I’m not saying this particular player is bad, but just because we drafted someone in the mid rounds doesn’t mean he should start the slot. Our team isn’t an up and coming team. We’re trying to win a Super Bowl. We should be going after vets to fill the remaining “starter” positions.

And for the record I don’t think Charlie Jones is going to be a second contract type of player for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 07:13 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: Why? Why do we have to give him a chance? He has college tape, was scouted, and had a full season in the building. I’m not saying this particular player is bad, but just because we drafted someone in the mid rounds doesn’t mean he should start the slot. Our team isn’t an up and coming team. We’re trying to win a Super Bowl. We should be going after vets to fill the remaining “starter” positions.

And for the record I don’t think Charlie Jones is going to be a second contract type of player for the Bengals.

We don't know that, yet.  He barely saw the field last season but, Oh that TD on the Punt Return let me know that he does have some potential for sticking around.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We don't know that, yet.  He barely saw the field last season but, Oh that TD on the Punt Return let me know that he does have some potential for sticking around.

Right

Would I wildly speculate that Charlie Jones will rewrite the record books at this moment? NO But it's nearly as wild a speculation to claim he'll wash out of the NFL in short order, at this moment.

One doesn't just fluke into 110 receptions and over 1.300 yards in one season for Purdue playing a big ten schedule. What his career trajectory may be is yet to be determined for sure.
Reply/Quote