Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
Yeah as those like Harrison Jr that don't workout in the Pros that is a red flag and shows in being caution.
Ready for May Day and Spring Fever!
Reply/Quote
I Love it.When healthy,this guy is one of the best.
Reply/Quote
I could not care less about Latham's 50 yard dash or 3 cone drill.

I'd be doing backflips if we sign him, or Fuaga, or Murphy, or Bowers.
Reply/Quote
WOW! Finally got around to watching the Trent Brown youtube highlights. Man. That gets me more excited than any of the draft prospects whose highlights I've watched. And he is wrecking NFL talent in his highlights.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 11:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Charlie jones and his 9 catches last year is going to take over 100 targets?

Exaaaaactly. Charlie jones and dj Turner have not shown they are ready and they are coming into big roles with massive shoes to fill. Jones is not ready for Boyd’s spot and Turner is not ready for chido spot. Sooooo sign a vet corner like Howard Gilmore or Rock Ya Sin and re sign boyd. Easy stuff imo
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 09:40 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Exaaaaactly.  Charlie jones and dj Turner have not shown they are ready and they are coming into big roles with massive shoes to fill.  Jones is not ready for Boyd’s spot and Turner is not ready for chido spot.  Sooooo sign a vet corner like Howard Gilmore or Rock Ya Sin and re sign boyd.  Easy stuff imo

Howard Gilmore is garbage. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 10:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Howard Gilmore is garbage. 

He sacrificed himself during WW2 and was awarded a medal of honor after this death.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2024, 11:31 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Charlie jones and his 9 catches last year is going to take over 100 targets?

So you don't think a major reason they took Jones in 4th round was not to anticipate not signing Boyd.. Because he did not play alot last year (part was injury) does not cancel him out from taking on the role this year.. I am not saying he will even out with production of Boyd and as much as I like Boyd, he did have a disappointing year and his production has decreased

just because a player does not play alot their 1st year (especially when they are stuck behind 3 veterans and missed games with injuries) does not mean they are unable to contribute the next year... it sure looks like that was the plan when they drafted Jones.. regardless they have other avenues also if they want to pursue them at WR ie giving Irwin more reps or signing a veteran in preseason etc.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 11:29 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So you don't think a major reason they took Jones in 4th round was not to anticipate not signing Boyd..  Because he did not play alot last year (part was injury) does not cancel him out from taking on the role this year.. I am not saying he will even out with production of Boyd and as much as I like Boyd, he did have a disappointing year and his production has decreased

just because a player does not play alot their 1st year (especially when they are stuck behind 3 veterans and missed games with injuries) does not mean they are unable to contribute the next year...  it sure looks like that was the plan when they drafted Jones.. regardless they have other avenues also if they want to pursue them at WR  ie giving Irwin more reps or signing a veteran in preseason etc.

Perhaps. Personally, I think we took Jones & Yoshi to do two things: upgrade the depth at WR (Stanley Morgan & Mike Thomas) and be a possible hedge vs Boyd & Higgins leaving. 

They aleady accomplished #1. #2 is possible, but neither guy is anywhere near convincing me they are ready to be WR2/WR3 on a contender. 

The Bengals don't seem convinced either, with our WR coach at the Texas pro-day (Mitchell, Worthy). 

Really, guys like Turner & Hill & Murphy have shown more than Yoshi & Jones. Turner & Hill played 2,000 snaps last year between them. Jones played under 100 (on offense) and most of those were vs Cleveland's backups. Yoshi was around 200-300, IIRC.

We have 4 top 100 picks. I'd say CB, WR, OT, and DT/NT are the top priorities for them ATM. Though what happens in FA & before us in the draft could change that. TE, IOL, and RB could be in play, too. 

We are scouting WRs and offering FA CBs contracts. I think it is safe to say both positions are gonna be addressed somehow. 

I think our biggest "holes" atm are a NT type to replace Reader and a WR3 to replace Boyd. Maybe there isn't a true TE1, but Gesicki/Sample/Hudson is already better than what we had last year.

With Brown & Brown, OT is not a hole, per se. But given Trent's injury history and 1 year contract and exceptionally deep OT class, a chance to draft a franchise level OT may not come around again.

CB is depth for the moment. Even if you buy Turner as CB2 and Hill moving to CB, Dax is likely a slot guy. Davis is. Ivey is inexperienced and had a major injury. Hilton in his last year, and we still need another boundary corner.

I guess I coukd be talked into IOL or TE if the right name is there. Or RB day 2. But I am hoping to see OT, NT, WR, CB be the next additions.
Reply/Quote
So it might already be said somewhere in the last 20 pages but what are we thinking his contract will be (rough guess)? Also, is there any danger that it taking so long means it still might not happen?

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 12:58 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: So it might already be said somewhere in the last 20 pages but what are we thinking his contract will be (rough guess)? Also, is there any danger that it taking so long means it still might not happen?

He's definitely signed.  His video with reporters on the main page has him confirming he signed on the dotted line.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 11:50 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Perhaps. Personally, I think we took Jones & Yoshi to do two things: upgrade the depth at WR (Stanley Morgan & Mike Thomas) and be a possible hedge vs Boyd & Higgins leaving. 

They aleady accomplished #1. #2 is possible, but neither guy is anywhere near convincing me they are ready to be WR2/WR3 on a contender. 

The Bengals don't seem convinced either, with our WR coach at the Texas pro-day (Mitchell, Worthy). 

Really, guys like Turner & Hill & Murphy have shown more than Yoshi & Jones. Turner & Hill played 2,000 snaps last year between them. Jones played under 100 (on offense) and most of those were vs Cleveland's backups. Yoshi was around 200-300, IIRC.

We have 4 top 100 picks. I'd say CB, WR, OT, and DT/NT are the top priorities for them ATM. Though what happens in FA & before us in the draft could change that. TE, IOL, and RB could be in play, too. 

We are scouting WRs and offering FA CBs contracts. I think it is safe to say both positions are gonna be addressed somehow. 

I think our biggest "holes" atm are a NT type to replace Reader and a WR3 to replace Boyd. Maybe there isn't a true TE1, but Gesicki/Sample/Hudson is already better than what we had last year.

With Brown & Brown, OT is not a hole, per se. But given Trent's injury history and 1 year contract and exceptionally deep OT class, a chance to draft a franchise level OT may not come around again.

CB is depth for the moment. Even if you buy Turner as CB2 and Hill moving to CB, Dax is likely a slot guy. Davis is. Ivey is inexperienced and had a major injury. Hilton in his last year, and we still need another boundary corner.

I guess I coukd be talked into IOL or TE if the right name is there. Or RB day 2. But I am hoping to see OT, NT, WR, CB be the next additions.

I think they would love to trade Tee if they could get a good deal. But if they trade him they are going to need a WR. You say the biggest need is NT. I expect they draft a NT in the later rounds. They’ve made their decision on Rankins and Hill as the starters. As far as Charlie Jones & Isovias I don’t think they know if either one is a starter .
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Cordell Volson has a good shot at being the most athletic starter on the OL now...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 03:45 PM)Synric Wrote: Cordell Volson has a good shot at being the most athletic starter on the OL now...

Also has a shot at being the crappiest 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 05:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Also has a shot at being the crappiest 

[Image: new-title.png]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 05:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Also has a shot at being the crappiest 

We can't have 5 all pro OL so someone will have to be worse than the other 4.  Ninja

I see he is the MB whipping boy, we always have at least one. I see a guard who has potential to get better and is very strong and athletic. He is year 3, 4th round pick. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 05:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We can't have 5 all pro OL so someone will have to be worse than the other 4.  Ninja

I see he is the MB whipping boy, we always have at least one. I see a guard who has potential to get better and is very strong and athletic. He is year 3, 4th round pick. 

let it go, he stinks

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 05:41 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: let it go, he stinks

If you say it, we know he has hope. 
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 09:40 AM)JoeyB2023 Wrote:   Charlie jones and dj Turner have not shown they are ready and they are coming into big roles with massive shoes to fill.  Jones is not ready for Boyd’s spot and Turner is not ready for chido spot.  Sooooo sign a vet corner like Howard Gilmore or Rock Ya Sin and re sign boyd.  Easy stuff imo

Disagree.They both have had a year to sit,watch and learn.Both should be ready to start in 2024.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2024, 11:50 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Perhaps. Personally, I think we took Jones & Yoshi to do two things: upgrade the depth at WR (Stanley Morgan & Mike Thomas) and be a possible hedge vs Boyd & Higgins leaving. 

I understand what you are saying at WR, but there are only so many balls, when you have 3 veteran WRs in front of you, it is hard to get many reps.. so lets look at Jones rookie year.. games 1 to 4 the big 3 are healthy so little chance of getting much playing time then you miss game 4 to 10 then have to take a couple games to get back to playing shape. So really you are looking at 4 to 5 games of some type of playing time...
Reply/Quote