Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-25-2024, 09:57 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I don’t think it goes higher.  2m gtd, 2.5 in bonuses/availability.

That is a good deal for the team.  If Brown is not healthy they dont lose much, if he is healthy that's a great price for a good RT.  Nobody can complain about that signing/contract.
Reply/Quote
That's damn near highway robbery for a starting RT, even with the injury concerns. Low risk, high reward. Maybe this pushes the need to draft a RT to rounds 2-and down if a guy they have rated higher falls down their board, or they can get a versatile guy to push Volson, this year, with RT in his future. I've been vocal about not drafting guys and switching their position (like Charmin), but if a guy is there that played all over his college line and can handle it w high football I.Q. then I could be happy with that.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 07:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: 4.5 million cap hit is a pretty nice deal for us. That tells me thought RT is still in play at 18 but also doesn’t force us to do it.

(03-25-2024, 09:57 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I don’t think it goes higher.  2m gtd, 2.5 in bonuses/availability.

I wonder if him playing for more than one year here was discussed.

If he has a good year. He will be 31 this year. Does he want to go to 32, 33, 34, 35, Whit mode and go to 40?

If a great tackle is cutting deals wanting to play here... We should be interested.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 01:58 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wonder if him playing for more than one year here was discussed.

If he has a good year. He will be 31 this year. Does he want to go to 32, 33, 34, 35, Whit mode and go to 40?

If a great tackle is cutting deals wanting to play here... We should be interested.

It would be a tremendous windfall for the team, should T Brown be able to stay healthy and play like he can, especially after all of the bad luck they have had with drafted OL in the past decade.  Like you said, if he does get his health in order, it would be nice to be able to have him for a few seasons.  Although, the team still cannot neglect drafting and developing a young prospect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 01:58 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I wonder if him playing for more than one year here was discussed.

(03-26-2024, 08:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It would be a tremendous windfall for the team, should T Brown be able to stay healthy and play like he can, especially after all of the bad luck they have had with drafted OL in the past decade.  Like you said, if he does get his health in order, it would be nice to be able to have him for a few seasons.  Although, the team still cannot neglect drafting and developing a young prospect.

I sure hope so, that would solve RT for years to come if Trent Brown can stay healthy as he is a proven top Tackle when healthy.
Reply/Quote
Finally some numbers and good ones at that.
If he plays he gets paid some, but it's not a crippling contract to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 06:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Finally some numbers and good ones at that.
If he plays he gets paid some, but it's not a crippling contract to begin with.

I would slightly argue and say great numbers. This screams ''I want a ring.'' I think that they were in discussions for quite awhile. He could have easily gotten a better contract somewhere else if that's what was most important to him.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
That seems like an excellent deal for the Bengals. I’m impressed.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 08:41 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It would be a tremendous windfall for the team, should T Brown be able to stay healthy and play like he can, especially after all of the bad luck they have had with drafted OL in the past decade.  Like you said, if he does get his health in order, it would be nice to be able to have him for a few seasons.  Although, the team still cannot neglect drafting and developing a young prospect.

I think there is a plug and play OT from ND that could be had in round 3 (we may have to trade up). Blake Fisher is a sophomore, 6'6" and 312. I think he could be drafted in early round 3. We have the draft capital to move up in round 3. 

My point is there are OT's out there in the draft available outside round 1 if we decide to go CB, TE (if Bowers slides) or Murphy DT or even Thomas at WR.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 04:07 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think there is a plug and play OT from ND that could be had in round 3 (we may have to trade up). Blake Fisher is a sophomore, 6'6" and 312. I think he could be drafted in early round 3. We have the draft capital to move up in round 3. 

My point is there are OT's out there in the draft available outside round 1 if we decide to go CB, TE (if Bowers slides) or Murphy DT or even Thomas at WR.

Yes, really like Blake Fisher and Notre Dame puts out some damn good OL. 

Fisher is a little more physical than Alt who relies more on technique. I would take Blake at 49 and not blink.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2024, 11:41 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: That's damn near highway robbery for a starting RT, even with the injury concerns. Low risk, high reward. Maybe this pushes the need to draft a RT to rounds 2-and down if a guy they have rated higher falls down their board, or they can get a versatile guy to push Volson, this year,  with RT in his future. I've been vocal about not drafting guys and switching their position (like  Charmin), but if a guy is there that played all over his college line and can handle it w high football I.Q. then I could be happy with that.
How is it low risk with only playing a full season 1 out of last 5 years.? Because the risk was high is why he was cheap
Reply/Quote
Love this signing when healthy dude can just flat out dominate. He passes off fluidly is strong as hell and makes it just look easy a lot of the time. Max Crosby used to say if he beat him one in practice he had a good day.

Watching Trent Browns tape the amount of reps he just dominates is crazy. I don't know if I've seen any other olineman tape that dominates reps as frequently a he does. He can just stones guys right at the point of contact because of his size and how strong he is.He can recover a lot of times just because of how strong he is. He gets off the ball quick as hell too.

If he can stay healthy and plays the way he's capable of playing he is probably the best olineman on the team.Wish he could get to the second level in the run game better but dude is a stud and these AFCN pass rushers are gonna have a much harder road to get to Burrow. If all that noise about him was just that..... Noise, we absolutely stole this guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2024, 11:33 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How is it low risk with only playing a full season 1 out of last 5 years.? Because the risk was high is why he was cheap

If he plays 12 games this year at his normal level, it’s still a great win for us. Especially if he is healthy going into playoffs
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 12:10 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: If he plays 12 games this year at his normal level, it’s still a great win for us.  Especially if he is healthy going into playoffs

That's a lot of "if" for a guy who hasn't played an entire season in years.  It would be nice to see him healthy for the stretch run, but I'm not holding my breath for it and neither should the Bengals. Signing Trent Brown absolutely does not relieve the team of needing to draft a starter capable RT.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 09:00 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's a lot of "if" for a guy who hasn't played an entire season in years.  It would be nice to see him healthy for the stretch run, but I'm not holding my breath for it and neither should the Bengals. Signing Trent Brown absolutely does not relieve the team of needing to draft a starter capable RT.

Same could be said for a lot of position groups on this team.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 09:30 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Same could be said for a lot of position groups on this team.

Really? Which other position group have we hired an often injured older veteran with hopes of him holding down the starting role this year?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 10:20 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really? Which other position group have we hired an often injured older veteran with hopes of him holding down the starting role this year?

QB (ducks)
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I think it’s pretty obvious we are drafting OT in Round 1. Nice thing is barring a really weird run on tackles they will have several options to choose from.
Reply/Quote
Fuaga is on a plane right now heading to Cincy for a visit so it’s apparent we are still look at high end OT’s for round 1 potentially.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2024, 06:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: Fuaga is on a plane right now heading to Cincy for a visit so it’s apparent we are still look at high end OT’s for round 1 potentially.

I'd prefer the RT guys: Fuaga, Latham, Mims. 

But I'd still be happy with Fashanu or Fautanu. 

Guyton is a step down/trade down for me. 

But along with Alt, 6 OT in the top 17 serms awful unlikely: 

QB (4): Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy 
WR (3): Harrison, Nabers, Odunze 
OLB/DE (1): Turner 
TE (1): Bowers 

All we need is 3 more non OTs: 
CB (2): Arnold, Mitchell

It could happen, we need 1 more non-OT: 
OLB/DE (2): Latu, Verse 
CB (1): DeJean 
IOL (2): JPJ, Barton 
QB (1): Nix