Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-20-2024, 09:39 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: No clue how much he signed for yet?
I don't see it out there??

The longer it goes the better the contract likely is for the bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 06:22 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Don't really watch the Patriots unless playing the Bengals to be able to share much about him. Am happy the Bengals filled a need and freed their hands in the draft. Sounds as if he is solid from this thread and possibly an upgrade. Do you have anything other than he signed in 2024 per the thread seems to have slowed since this policing post. 

Tell us the IV story and possibly revive it. 

I linked the IV story back on post #332. It's in there somewhere amongst the Whitworth posts. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I misspoke he was actually at OAK when the incident occurred. 
Patriots OL Trent Brown: 'I almost died' during IV issue last season (nfl.com)

"According to Brown, he nearly went into cardiac arrest at the time. Air was accidentally introduced into his bloodstream with a pre-game IV, and he was hospitalized for three days beginning on Nov. 1, 2020."

That had to have been a genuinely frightening moment in his lifetime.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I just read Bengals ESPN beat writer Ben Baby says we still need a RT and need to draft one in round 1.

I do think we need to look at RT long term, but not sure Brown will not be the starter in 2024.

I see DT and CB as the more pressing need as of now but could change if we add anyone in FA.

Also, just saw Ei Apple is only 28. Seems like he has been around forever. Should Bengals try a reunion with Eli for depth?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 02:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I just read Bengals ESPN beat writer Ben Baby says we still need a RT and need to draft one in round 1.

I do think we need to look at RT long term, but not sure Brown will not be the starter in 2024.

I see DT and CB as the more pressing need as of now but could change if we add anyone in FA.

Also, just saw Ei Apple is only 28. Seems like he has been around forever. Should Bengals try a reunion with Eli for depth?

I think they will lean toward a RT at 18. But I also think signing Brown doesn’t pigeon hole them as it would have. I think they would take Bowers ( unlikely) a top WR or DT.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 02:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I just read Bengals ESPN beat writer Ben Baby says we still need a RT and need to draft one in round 1.

If there is a prospect worthy of the pick there in round 1 we should still take RT. 

But if the prospects left if there is a weird run on tackles would be significant reaches, we don't have to feel obligated to reach, and end up in another Billy Price situation. 

That's how I see it at least. 
Reply/Quote

I heard that Eli didn't play near as good last year though. 

(03-21-2024, 02:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think they will lean toward a RT at 18. But I also think signing Brown doesn’t pigeon hole them as it would have. I think they would take Bowers ( unlikely) a top WR or DT.

Yes, if some player like Brock Bowers or Byron Murphy fell to 18 I could see them taking one of these two same with Newton.

But RT is the most likely in Fuaga, Latham and I am warming up to Mims now with the Trent Brown addition.

Gives Mims a year to learn behind a very good veteran Tackle.

(03-21-2024, 02:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: If there is a prospect worthy of the pick there in round 1 we should still take RT. 

But if the prospects left if there is a weird run on tackles would be significant reaches, we don't have to feel obligated to reach, and end up in another Billy Price situation. 

I see it the same. Guyton still scares me a touch and could be that Billy Price type of pick that we don't want to make.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 02:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: If there is a prospect worthy of the pick there in round 1 we should still take RT. 

You and me both. 

It would be hard to get me off Fuaga or Latham at #18 if available. Bowers & Murphy are the two who make it a tough decision.

Mims vs Bowers vs Murphy is probably a dead heat for me. Trading down & still getting one would be the ideal scenario. 

I'd take Bowers or Murphy easily over Guyton. Probably Arnold/Mitchell. If it is Guyton vs Thomas vs DeJean vs JPJ. That is where I try and trade back. 

Worst case (realistic) draft: 
QB (3): Williams, Daniels, Maye 
WR (4): Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas 
OT (5): Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, Mims 
TE (1): Bowers
DT (1): Murphy 
CB (2): Arnold, Mitchell  
DE (1): Turner (top 17 lock)
------------- 

JPJ, DeJaen, Newton, Fautanu, & Guyton would be the next tier for me. Maybe Wiggins.That screams trade back.

But seeing guys at spots of lesser need for us go earlier (QB, DE) would help things along: McCarthy, Verse, Latu, etc. 

I'd be REALLY happy with any of the non-QBs/DEs on the above list of 17.
Reply/Quote
I'm personally turned off to Latham, He didn't perform at his Pro-Day. So we have no idea what his RAS is, and last 3 that we have drafted high that didn't perform either were all bombs. (Oggy, Price and Johnson? i think)
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 06:02 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm personally turned off to Latham, He didn't perform at his Pro-Day. So we have no idea what his RAS is, and last 3 that we have drafted high that didn't perform either were all bombs. (Oggy, Price and Johnson? i think)

Do you mean Michael Jordan? Latham still has good film and he is physical and a monster. Not against us drafting him.

There are knocks on every OL.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 06:02 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm personally turned off to Latham, He didn't perform at his Pro-Day. So we have no idea what his RAS is, and last 3 that we have drafted high that didn't perform either were all bombs. (Oggy, Price and Johnson? i think)

Historical the Bengals have had alot of success drafting tackles with under 20th picks: Holland, Munoz Anderson Jones, A. Smith, Williams, no busts out of that group 1 HOF with Anderson maybe another.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 06:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Do you mean Michael Jordan? Latham still has good film and he is physical and a monster. Not against us drafting him.

JC Latham did come in at a decent weight at the Combine at 342 pounds when people were worried he would be around 360.

Seems to me like Fuaga & Latham will both be gone before the Bengals pick at #18.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 06:15 PM)depthchart Wrote: JC Latham did come in at a decent weight at the Combine at 342 pounds when people were worried he would be around 360.

Seems to me like Fuaga & Latham will both be gone before the Bengals pick at #18.

That is a good thing for sure on Latham and yeah, I figure those two will both be gone and Mims could be the pick who I would not be against.

Mims does have great film, even if it was for only 8 games or so. Unlike some of what I have seen of Guyton on film, not near as impressive.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 03:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: You and me both. 

It would be hard to get me off Fuaga or Latham at #18 if available. Bowers & Murphy are the two who make it a tough decision.

Mims vs Bowers vs Murphy is probably a dead heat for me. Trading down & still getting one would be the ideal scenario. 

I'd take Bowers or Murphy easily over Guyton. Probably Arnold/Mitchell. If it is Guyton vs Thomas vs DeJean vs JPJ. That is where I try and trade back. 

------------- 

JPJ, DeJaen, Newton, Fautanu, & Guyton would be the next tier for me. Maybe Wiggins.That screams trade back.

But seeing guys at spots of lesser need for us go earlier (QB, DE) would help things along: McCarthy, Verse, Latu, etc. 

I see a lot of mocks have Verse and Lutu also in top 16. Both are edge rushers, a commodity for teams to build a defense around. 

I would still like to see us move up to 12th if it is an OL being targeted. If we go with WR Thomas with 18, I am guessing Higgins is gone and we get at least a 2nd round pick for him. There are quite a few RT only prospects that should be available in round 2. 

This is what it fun, but also nerve wracking. We have no control and we each have our ideal players at each position. Yet, impossible for each of to have Bengals draft our guy.  
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I heard that Eli didn't play near as good last year though. 

Yes, if some player like Brock Bowers or Byron Murphy fell to 18 I could see them taking one of these two same with Newton.

But RT is the most likely in Fuaga, Latham and I am warming up to Mims now with the Trent Brown addition.

Gives Mims a year to learn behind a very good veteran Tackle.

I see it the same. Guyton still scares me a touch and could be that Billy Price type of pick that we don't want to make.

Eli has never played as well as he did while in Cincinnati for anyone else. We got great contributions from him for peanuts. I'd bring him back on the cheap in a heartbeat. At the same time, I'm not as down on the young DBs as some are. I expect Turner and Hill to show a lot of improvement this season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 07:22 PM)jason Wrote: Eli has never played as well as he did while in Cincinnati for anyone else. We got great contributions from him for peanuts. I'd bring him back on the cheap in a heartbeat. At the same time, I'm not as down on the young DBs as some are. I expect Turner and Hill to show a lot of improvement this season.

True, Lou could probably get the best out of Eli once again and I agree on the young DB's. You have to expect some struggles with any 
young players getting their first significant amount of snaps in the NFL. They will learn from the struggles I am sure of it.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 07:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, Lou could probably get the best out of Eli once again and I agree on the young DB's. You have to expect some struggles with any 
young players getting their first significant amount of snaps in the NFL. They will learn from the struggles I am sure of it.

Thank you, I was getting ready to say something similar about the coach who drafted him knowing exactly how to properly utilize him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 03:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: You and me both. 

------------- 

McCarthy has been moving up the board since combines etc.. will be shocked he does not go in top 17 and i have a feeling Penix might go also.. alot of teams in need of QBs
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 06:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Do you mean Michael Jordan? Latham still has good film and he is physical and a monster. Not against us drafting him.

I'm still against him in the first, he's getting ready for a once in a lifetime job opportunity, if he doesn't want to do the workouts then that's a red flag to me. 
No one is expecting a big guy like him to "wow" at the combine/work outs, but it would be nice to know he's not a slug either.

Did he at least get cleared medically? 
Reply/Quote

I still think they need to take a tackle with the 1st pick. Any time we rely on one individual signing, that person seems to get hurt. We need a better 3rd tackle than what's on the roster right now.
Reply/Quote