Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
We don't have a RT so signing him is favorable.

Duke would then have flexibility at pick 18 in the draft to go OL, DT, CB, or TE (Bowers).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 09:08 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: We don't have a RT so signing him is favorable.

Duke would then have flexibility at pick 18 in the draft to go OL, DT, CB, or TE (Bowers).

WR has to be in the mix as well. Hell, there are as more WR snaps available in 2024 than any other position (assuming brown gets signed). Plus we know if/when tee leaves, we will have even a bigger hole to fill.

After Jefferson, Chase and lamb reset the market… WR might be the highest paid position outside of QB and pass rush. Meaning high ROI based on draft capital.
Reply/Quote
Im a huge fan of Trent Brown, a Super Bowl Champion with position versatility. I think if you put him on a good team with motivation he can be one of the better tackles in the league. If we can get him at 6-7 million a year it would be a steal imo.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Anyone but Becton.
Reply/Quote
I would hate to have to float the restaurant bill for this OL lol
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 08:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What do you think that they will offer to an oft injured, mentally unstable, disgruntled old Tackle like Brown?  1 yr/$5M?

this and a juicy tomahawk steak with JB that puts him in a food coma and signs right there at the table 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 10:13 AM)kalibengal Wrote: this and a juicy tomahawk steak with JB that puts him in a food coma and signs right there at the table 

dude is almost 400 lbs probly take 2 steaks or 3
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 12:09 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Was also the only OT thrown out of the building. Accused of quitting and having a bad attitude.

We need to hope that NE being a total cluster was the issue more so than just Trent being a problem. 

Last season, he was a healthy scratch for the Week 17 Buffalo game that let to him missing out on a $6.5 million playing time incentive.  So, I would understand him being pissed off and quitting on the team.

With the Raiders, it sounds like he just did not want to be there.  Can't say I blame him either coming from a Super Bowl winning program in New England and the Raiders being, well, the Raiders.

I'd give him a 2 year deal at $7 million a year with the first year guaranteed and pray for the best.  We're going to have to take a chance here and that's NOT by lining up Cody Ford to start at RT.  

Haven't we been down that road before so many times? Cry
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Too many times.
Reply/Quote
Trent Brown would definitely reduce the need to take RT in Rd 1.
If Bengals do sign Brown and stay at 18, I could see it be any of the following positions selected:
- OT
- DT
- CB (although would they go for a CB so early after investing so much the past couple drafts?)
- WR
- Brock Bowers
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 11:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bingo. With Gresham still here Eifert wasn’t going to put up real big numbers. I still consider him a “contributor” his rookie season. If you don’t, fair enough.

2013 is still plenty long ago anyway. There’s no denying that outside of can’t miss guys like AJ, Burrow, and Chase they have a spotty track record with 1st round picks. Thankfully they’ve at least had a a lot of success in the 2nd.

Yea the bengals are horrible in the first round and it’s hard to be successful when u don’t hit on blue chip type prospects. They also do dumb shit too. Like the trade back for carman or selecting busted players in the first like ogbuehi.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 10:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Trent Brown would definitely reduce the need to take RT in Rd 1.
If Bengals do sign Brown and stay at 18, I could see it be any of the following positions selected:
- OT
- DT
- CB (although would they go for a CB so early after investing so much the past couple drafts?)
- WR
- Brock Bowers

The more I think about it, the more I see WR as the pick. It makes sense as we draft a year earlier than “needed”. But WR3 is wide open so there is room to contribute now. Also, protects against some of the injuries bugs that Chase/higgins have had recently.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 12:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: As I mentioned earlier. Very similar to Trent Williams before he signed with SF. 

I get what you are saying about their reps and injuries but Brown is nowhere near as good as Williams (not sure anyone is). If he could play at 75% of Williams’ level I would be thrilled.
I think Brown would be a great signing and help them not have to target a specific position in the first round.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals can't miss on OL draft picks forever...can they? If ketchup man says they're good run away!   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
There is no way I want to rely on Brown to start. He has only played 600+ snaps once in the last 5 years.

He graded out super high last year, but remember the Pats were relatively run heavy. And he has usually been a high 60s/low 70s PFF guy most of his career. Not 80.2.

He has experience at LT & RT.

For me, he is a perfect swing tackle to act as a potential bridge starter if the OT you draft at #18 needs a little development (Mims, Guyton). If it is Fuaga or Latham, they probably start day 1 and you have excellent OT depth, which would be a new phenomenon here. You could even try Fuaga/Latham at G if you want.

I know we all have this fantasy about opening up the draft if RT is solved. And it is a good thing. But the reality is need drives most picks (Harrison would go #2 otherwise, or #1) and it is unlikely Bowers falls to us.

Further, it is a dead certainty one of the RT prospects fall to us (Latham, Fuaga, Mims, Guyton). We are 95% taking an OT. The issue is whether it is a plug & play guy (Latham or Fuaga) or a more inexperienced/raw guy (Mims/Guyton). If the former, we take them. If it is the latter? Then maybe trade downs, or another position (JPJ, CB, WR), or Bowers becomes more likely.

But I do not think WR is likely. We have Chase & Higgins. We drafted Yoshi & Jones last year. We have 2 TEs that are basically slot receivers. And it is a deep WR class. We can get slot help later (Pearsall, Wilson, Corly, McCaffery, MacMillan, etc).

CB is intriguing. But we are talking about depth at CB4. CTB, Turner, & Hilton will start. And it looks like Hill is moving to CB with Stone and Bell incoming at S. It is also a fairly deep CB class.

DT with Murphy or Newton was appealing before we gave Rankins $13 mil a year. Hill gets $10. DT3 at #18 seems like a luxury we cannot afford with the other holes. Way too high for Sweat.

JPJ to boost the IOL? Maybe. Trade down if Fuaga & Latham gone? Maybe. Bowers if he is there? Yeah, I could dig that. But it is unlikely he lasts.

Sit at #18.Take RT. Worry about NT, WR3, CB4 on Day 2 and in the rest of FA.

Brown + another solid FA signing or two (WR, CB, IOL, NT2, LB, P).
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 10:59 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: The more I think about it, the more I see WR as the pick. It makes sense as we draft a year earlier than “needed”. But WR3 is wide open so there is room to contribute now. Also, protects against some of the injuries bugs that Chase/higgins have had recently.

If Bengals go 1st round I will LOSE MY MIND. We still dont have a RT on the squad and even if they sign Brown you need another RT because who knows how much of the season he sees the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 10:59 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: The more I think about it, the more I see WR as the pick.  It makes sense as we draft a year earlier than “needed”.  But WR3 is wide open so there is room to contribute now.  Also, protects against some of the injuries bugs that Chase/higgins have had recently.

And with how much WR is costing for a good one nowadays, I can easily see the Bengals making the selection from a cost savings perspective.
With Chase getting a big contract next season likely, Bengals might want the rest of the offensive weapons to be on the cheaper side but still needing to be effective.

With that said, this does look to be a pretty good WR draft so I do think they can find a starter-caliber WR who would only need a year or less to groom by the end of Rd 3, which would allow them to still go trenches in first two rounds if they wanted.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 11:06 AM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I get what you are saying about their reps and injuries but Brown is nowhere near as good as Williams (not sure anyone is). If he could play at 75% of Williams’ level I would be thrilled.
I think Brown would be a great signing and help them not have to target a specific position in the first round.

Williams was always a very good player prior to SF (7 Pro Bowls) but he didn't become "All World" until he got there.

2023 was a trainwreck for TB and he was as much to blame as anyone. But I think the cohesion of our oline will be good for him. 

If we do sign him, I have 100% faith in our FO constructing a "smart" contract. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 10:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Trent Brown would definitely reduce the need to take RT in Rd 1.
- OT
- DT
- WR
- Brock Bowers

My decision tree would be: 

1) RT (Fuaga or Latham) 
2) Bowers 
----------------- 
3) Trade down to take...
4) RT (Mims, Guyton) 
------------ 
5) JPJ 
6) CB (Mitchell or Arnold or DeJean) 
----------- 
7) WR
8) DT (Murphy, Newton)
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 11:18 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: There is no way I want to rely on Brown to start. He has only played 600+ snaps once in the last 5 years.
Were you "willing to rely" on Reader being our starting NT? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote