Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trent Brown signs 1 year deal with the Bengals
(03-19-2024, 03:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: True enough. 

And it is not like the situation is irretrievable. The coaches & FO seemed to pin some of our defensive issues vs the run to communication/trust issues on the back end. Getting Stone & Bell should help with that, regardless of Reader. Sweat would be fantastic, Jackson good. 

But a DT room of BJ Hill, Rankins, Carter, Tufele, & Bell is putrid. Especially vs the run. I still think we need 2 DTs/NTs. 

Sweat & Jackson are the only NTs I think that can be starter-ish level year 1. And I'd be stunned if either are close to Reader. 

In 2024, we could have had an elite player for close to nothing. Or at least the possibility of one. That is a risk worth taking. 

For, 2025, the cost would have been steeper, but still a bargain for Reader if he is close to 100%. 

Anyway, you will never be able to convince me the Reader/restructure issue was anything but flat out stupid, no matter how it plays out. You can hit on 19 and get a duece, but the decision was still dumb. 

I am just hoping we can pull that duece. Or an ace. 

As for Mr. Brown, it is hard to say without viewing the contract. I assilume we got input from Gesicki & Karras before the signing. I'd trust him. The Pats dud screw him over on the bonus. I am OK with the attitude issues. 

The injury issues worry me some. I am still all in on Fuaga/Latham in Rd 1. If both are gone & Bowers is there.....I may pull the trigger. I do like Mims as well, but he & Guyton are OTs all the way. Latham/Fuaga/Fautanu have some G possibilities. 

It opens up the draft some. Frankly, I thought it eould be hard for us to get a good OT because I figured they want a guarantee on starting (Smith, Onwenu, Eluemunor, Brown, etc). If we got Brown without one, that is a big win. 

So you are down as the 2024 Bengals are not likely to be any good due your expert analysis afer the Brown signing and prior to the draft.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 08:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What do you think that they will offer to an oft injured, mentally unstable, disgruntled old Tackle like Brown?  1 yr/$5M?

Room matess with Frank Pollack? 
Reply/Quote
I guess #3 could be that IF we take an OT at #18, he would start regardless.

I am fine with that.
Reply/Quote
Another rental at a crucial position. I'm 100% on board with the signing because they HAD to sign someone, but I am 0% on board with the Bengals utter failures at replacing Andre Smith (of all bars to have to gingerly hop over) with a draft pick..... THE LAST 14 SEASONS!

The person/people scouting the O line needed fired 8 years ago.

I became threat level: Vomit when James Rapien (or PDJr) said that Pollack wanted the Bengals to draft Creed Humphry in 2021 2nd round & the Bengals traded back and STILL took Jackson Carman, a player most teams had removed from their board completely due to injuries AND/OR rape allegations in college.

The litany of O-Line whiffs by Bengals scouts is INSANE. They can't even accidentally nail one.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:04 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I like the sound of that less. 

I mean, I guess I am still confused as to what he meant. 

Interpretation #1: He isn't concerned about us taking an OT at #18 because we told him we won't and he is the starter. 

This worries me because you are relying on an injury prone guy to start AND if OT is BPA you cannot take one. Pkus, Brown is on a 1 year deal. Take the long term solution if it is there. 

Interpretation #2: He's not concerned about us taking a RT at #18 because he is OK with it if it happens. 

This would be ideal.

But it sounds like #1 more than #2.

Hes on a 1 year Deal he gets paid no matter who we draft...  (assuming hes still here week 1 which is likely)
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you are down as the 2024 Bengals are not likely to be any good due your expert analysis afer the Brown signing and prior to the draft.  

No, I just think you judge decisions based on the info you have at the time the decision is made. Not how it turns out later. 

Hitting on 19 is dumb, regardless if you get a 2 or not. 

Not bringing Reader back for $5.8 and/or not restructuring Brown to save over $4 mil was dumb. Period. 

We can still be a good team either way. Burrow, Chase, Hendrickson + the other moves and players we have. 

But did we fumble a chance to be better? Absolutely. 

I don't need to wait to know that. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 03:57 PM)Au165 Wrote: Brown said this in his introductory press conference. The contract will tell the story though. I think we could be in play for a trade back from 18 now for maybe a higher upside but less polished RT (Mims) and add more ammo. The other thought here is I could see us taking one at the top of round 2 in a trade up but going a different direction at 18.

[Image: resize?url=https%3a%2f%2fdxbhsrqyrr690.c...&type=jpeg]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 03:57 PM)Au165 Wrote: Brown said this in his introductory press conference. The contract will tell the story though. I think we could be in play for a trade back from 18 now for maybe a higher upside but less polished RT (Mims) and add more ammo. The other thought here is I could see us taking one at the top of round 2 in a trade up but going a different direction at 18.

I hate this. Especially with this team's track record. Just take the best available RT at 18. Or BPA

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:11 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Another rental at a crucial position. I'm 100% on board with the signing because they HAD to sign someone, but I am 0% on board with the Bengals utter failures at replacing Andre Smith (of all bars to have to gingerly hop over) with a draft pick..... THE LAST 14 SEASONS!

dre was a top 5 RT from '11-15
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping he is just the backup swing tackle and paid accordingly. Just can't rely on a guy in his 30s who has only made at least 10 starts in a season once in four years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:11 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Another rental at a crucial position. I'm 100% on board with the signing because they HAD to sign someone, but I am 0% on board with the Bengals utter failures at replacing Andre Smith (of all bars to have to gingerly hop over) with a draft pick..... THE LAST 14 SEASONS!

The person/people scouting the O line needed fired 8 years ago.

I became threat level: Vomit when James Rapien (or PDJr) said that Pollack wanted the Bengals to draft Creed Humphry in 2021 2nd round & the Bengals traded back and STILL took Jackson Carman, a player most teams had removed from their board completely due to injuries AND/OR rape allegations in college.

The litany of O-Line whiffs by Bengals scouts is INSANE. They can't even accidentally nail one.

I could talk with u for hours. I’ve been banging this table for years and was called a bengals hater for it. They can’t scout or develop olineman to save their lives. I’m praying Fuaga or Latham there at 18 other than that I’m
Terrified of who they chose. I can hear it now “with the 18th pick in the 2024 NFL draft the Cincinnati Bengals select…..Jordan Morgan” Just some dumb shit like that.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:40 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: dre was a top 5 RT from '11-15

You know what? You're right. I'm with you there. I should not have characterized his entire stint w the Bengals in that way, because that isn't fair.

I thought he was a very very good player at RT on his first contract, but then the revolving door of Andre Smith started & then it has not been the same at RT after that. That was my intention of that part of my post. The Bengals should have been able to find a long term replacement at RT if they weren't going to pay him. They couldn't, so they ended up with a broken version of Smith.... which was STILL better than anything they've drafted at either OT spot since!
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:04 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I like the sound of that less. 

I mean, I guess I am still confused as to what he meant. 

Interpretation #1: He isn't concerned about us taking an OT at #18 because we told him we won't and he is the starter. 

This worries me because you are relying on an injury prone guy to start AND if OT is BPA you cannot take one. Pkus, Brown is on a 1 year deal. Take the long term solution if it is there. 

Interpretation #2: He's not concerned about us taking a RT at #18 because he is OK with it if it happens. 

This would be ideal.

But it sounds like #1 more than #2.

He's ***** starting. I don't know why that reporter even asked that dumbass question at this dudes intro press conference. Man our reporters are so bad sometimes. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
- He's playing for a great QB again. Has to suck blocking for Mac Jones
- He has trust with Karras
- Team that can get to the SB

All this hopefully motivates him in a prove it year
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So you are down as the 2024 Bengals are not likely to be any good due your expert analysis afer the Brown signing and prior to the draft.  

Yeah he seems to know it all around here so it seems.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm hoping he is just the backup swing tackle and paid accordingly. Just can't rely on a guy in his 30s who has only made at least 10 starts in a season once in four years.

From the presser it sounded like he is the starter. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I hate this. Especially with this team's track record. Just take the best available RT at 18. Or BPA

100000000000000000000% this^^^^^^

Just use the extra 3rd and move up in the second to get sweat after Latham or Fuaga at 18. It’s that simple Cincinnati
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:51 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: I could talk with u for hours.  I’ve been banging this table for years and was called a bengals hater for it.  They can’t scout or develop olineman to save their lives.  I’m praying Fuaga or Latham there at 18 other than that I’m
Terrified of who they chose.  I can hear it now “with the 18th pick in the 2024 NFL draft the Cincinnati Bengals select…..Jordan Morgan”  Just some dumb shit like that.

I think Morgan would be a GREAT pick..... if he fell to them in the 2nd round.

I think they are going to go DT or find someone who happens to fall and then, classic Bengals, (NOT) out-think the room in the mid to later rounds. This draft would be the one to do that at the 3 crucial spots they need: DT, OL, TE. Draft is LOADED with a lot of quality prospects in those positions.

Our luck, they'll find some kid w a story that he got his leg ripped off by a lion while hunting on safari 2 seasons ago & they fell in love with his toughness. The plan is to develop him while they wait for him to learn how to walk again.

^ Oh, and turns out the guy has a history of pushing old people down the stairs for TikTok likes & was arrested 3x for it as a sophomore.... but Duke talked to his math tutor to check him out and it's fine.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2024, 04:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm hoping he is just the backup swing tackle and paid accordingly. Just can't rely on a guy in his 30s who has only made at least 10 starts in a season once in four years.

Yup

I don't want to pencil him in (with his injury history) as a 17+ game starter. IMHO we still are in dire need of a RT at 18. Plus our depth behind Carman has little to no NFL starting experience.

And I don't want to be saying once again, "a decent Oline away"
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 10:21 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: For those they still want Ot at 18 if we sign brown.  I’m assuming you are ok with our first round pick not playing in 2024.  You can’t predict injuries, so maybe they would get on the field.  But if things go our way, getting zero contribution from Your first overall pick would be a likely outcome.

Aren’t we tired of not drafting for the current year?  Signing brown opens up the draft a bit.

Agree.Now they don't have to go OT in round 1.They can get a DT,Murphy or Newton.Or get a wr, to take Higgins place after this year.Possibly A.D.Mitchell or Xavier Worthy , 
Reply/Quote