Poll: Is Trey the Best Bengals FA ever?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Hendrickson Best FA signing ever?
What? No Fat Randy picks? Hilarious

Ogenjobi, Reader? There was a season when a one TO was the leading receiver, but he had minimal impact..
Eddy Edwards was no slouch..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 12:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Ced was a fan favorite but he really wasn't that good while he was here. He wasn't much better than BJGE. 

If nothing else I will always love Benson for that playoff game against the Jets.  I know we lost, but to me that was the most impressive post season performance in Bengal history.  I think the Jets had the #1 defense in the league and he just ran all over them.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If nothing else I will always love Benson for that playoff game against the Jets.  I know we lost, but to me that was the most impressive post season performance in Bengal history.  I think the Jets had the #1 defense in the league and he just ran all over them.

I do agree with you here. He ran absolutely wild in a game where the passing game couldn't get off the ground. That and the Bears game were super fun to watch. I loved his domination of Chicago. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: He had a great game against the Jets, I agree. He did have three 1,000 yard seasons, but total yards are an awful way to judge a player. You have to look at his efficiency. From 2009-2011, there were 59 running backs that had 200 or more carries. Here is where Benson ranked...

Yards per carry - 53rd
Success Rate - 30th
EPA - 53rd

Why did he have those 1,000 yard seasons? Because over that same time frame, he was 4th in total carries. I knew he wasn't very good, but those numbers are flat out awful. That's way worse than I expected. 

Sure, you can look at it that way, but we all know Ced was playing at a time when every defense knew the Bengals would be running the ball. Those were the run run pass punt days. Palmer was coming off the knee injury, Henry had just died and there weren’t too many other weapons to move the ball. I get the YPC was low, but he had an uphill battle majority of his time here.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 12:46 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Ced was a fan favorite but he really wasn't that good while he was here. He wasn't much better than BJGE. 

you're failing to remember that Ced Benson was the focal point of the offense while he was here. Teams were keying in on him 

BJGE was secondary after the passing attack

and then Gio arguably overtook BJGE in 2013
Reply/Quote
Just take a minute to look at the guys we consider possibly our best free agent signings before 2020.

It is really shocking.

it really gives a lot of perspective to what Marvin was able to accomplish under the handicap of our front office.
Reply/Quote
There's really only one free agent who is in contention for the title at this point.

Pacman Jones played 8 seasons in Cincinnati and was a great returner and cornerback for the majority of his time here. He had some run ins within the NFL and outside the NFL, but he remained a really good player and, honestly, a good Bengal on and off the field.

If Trey replicates this success for his entire contract, he is definitely the best Bengals free agent ever. Even now, it's looking really good. I will say yes with an asterisk that he is the best based on the assumption that his production continues. If he falls off next year and is cut then, obviously, Pacman will re-take the crown as best Bengals free agent ever.

EDIT: Obviously, we also have to consider that Reader, Awuzie, Bell, Spain or Hilton may have lasting success and claim the crown as well. We're in an unprecedented era of Bengals football where players want to come here (because of Burrow) and that could attract more outside free agents over time. We'll have to see how everything shakes out once all these guys retire/leave the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:07 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Sure, you can look at it that way, but we all know Ced was playing at a time when every defense knew the Bengals would be running the ball. Those were the run run pass punt days. Palmer was coming off the knee injury, Henry had just died and there weren’t too many other weapons to move the ball. I get the YPC was low, but he had an uphill battle majority of his time here.

Palmer was coming off of the elbow injury, not the knee. I do get that the weapons were limited, but his performance was his performance. It isn't all his fault, but the man just wasn't very good. I went ahead and grabbed all running backs that had 500 or more carries over that time span to account for primary running backs and he was last in EPA per rush, next to last in YPC and below average in SR. 

If someone is putting him up for top FA recognition, then BJGE has to be in the conversation as well. They were about as good as each other. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not knocking Hendrickson's production at all, but there is not a lot of competition for "Best Bengal Free Agent".

Adam Jones was All-Pro for us one year.

Burfict should have been All-Pro the one great season he had here.

Tory James went to the Pro Bowl the year he was 2nd in the league in interceptions.

Jeff Blake had a couple of good Pro Bowl seasons, but nothing close to elite

Who else would be on the list?

Are you guys forgetting the guy we signed that made the All-Pro team?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:16 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Palmer was coming off of the elbow injury, not the knee. I do get that the weapons were limited, but his performance was his performance. It isn't all his fault, but the man just wasn't very good. I went ahead and grabbed all running backs that had 500 or more carries over that time span to account for primary running backs and he was last in EPA per rush, next to last in YPC and below average in SR. 

If someone is putting him up for top FA recognition, then BJGE has to be in the conversation as well. They were about as good as each other. 

Whoops sorry, meant the elbow. Got my 6 and 9 mixed up there hehe.

I still think Benson was good here, but agree to disagree.

I also think BJGE is worth an honorable mention here, he was a good player for us as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:09 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: you're failing to remember that Ced Benson was the focal point of the offense while he was here. Teams were keying in on him 

BJGE was secondary after the passing attack

and then Gio arguably overtook BJGE in 2013

No, I remember. He just wasn't very good. There were plenty of other RBs that were the focal point of the offense who performed better than Cedric. Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson (he had good Favre for 2009 only).

EDIT - To add more guys, Rashard Mendenhall, Thomas Jones, Michael Turner, Frank Gore, Matt Forte.
Reply/Quote
I always like Nate Clements as well. He’s not our top acquisition by any means, but I liked what he brought over from SF.

How about TO? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:18 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Whoops sorry, meant the elbow. Got my 6 and 9 mixed up there hehe.

I still think Benson was good here, but agree to disagree.

I also think BJGE is worth an honorable mention here, he was a good player for us as well.

Can definitely agree to disagree. He did provide some fun performances. I mentioned it to Fred earlier, but his games against Chicago and the Jets (even though we lost) were super impressive. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No, I remember. He just wasn't very good. There were plenty of other RBs that were the focal point of the offense who performed better than Cedric. Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson (he had good Favre for 2009 only).

You just listed 3 potential hall of famers lol. All 5 of those guys were really really really good! Of course Ced didn’t live up to that standard lol.
Reply/Quote
James Brooks was a good one also.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:20 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: You just listed 3 potential hall of famers lol. All 5 of those guys were really really really good! Of course Ced didn’t live up to that standard lol.

There's more, I just cut the list off. Michael Turner, Mendenhall, Frank Gore. There's more, but you start getting a little far on the carries that they had. 

EDIT - Thomas Jones as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Are you guys forgetting the guy we signed that made the All-Pro team?

Obviously.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Obviously.

Ashley Ambrose
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not knocking Hendrickson's production at all, but there is not a lot of competition for "Best Bengal Free Agent".

Adam Jones was All-Pro for us one year.

Burfict should have been All-Pro the one great season he had here.

Tory James went to the Pro Bowl the year he was 2nd in the league in interceptions.

Jeff Blake had a couple of good Pro Bowl seasons, but nothing close to elite

Who else would be on the list?

Bobby Willliams
Reply/Quote
Jon Kitna.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote