Poll: Is Trey the Best Bengals FA ever?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Hendrickson Best FA signing ever?
(11-29-2021, 01:22 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: James Brooks was a good one also.

We traded for Brooks.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We traded for Brooks.

Yes Brooks! and from SD
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Ashley Ambrose

Rep.

In that same vein Cedric Peerman went to the Pro Bowl one year.
Reply/Quote
Back to the topic of Trey, I’m curious to see how many years he can match this type of production for us. That’ll be the key to if he’s the best ever FA for us. If we get 3+ years of this then easily. He’s surpassed even my high expectations for him. We are lucky the Saints are in cap hell and we were able to steal him away.

Also, let’s not forget DJ Reader, this guy has been a top pickup for us as well.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

In that same vein Cedric Peerman went to the Pro Bowl one year.

Signing Awozie this year reminded me a lot of the Ambrose signing.   Young guy, not really a big time name, but ready to take the next step.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:23 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: There's more, I just cut the list off. Michael Turner, Mendenhall, Frank Gore. There's more, but you start getting a little far on the carries that they had. 

EDIT - Thomas Jones as well.

another hall of famer lol

yea, ced benson wasnt better than hall of famers
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not knocking Hendrickson's production at all, but there is not a lot of competition for "Best Bengal Free Agent".

Adam Jones was All-Pro for us one year.

Burfict should have been All-Pro the one great season he had here.

Tory James went to the Pro Bowl the year he was 2nd in the league in interceptions.

Jeff Blake had a couple of good Pro Bowl seasons, but nothing close to elite

Who else would be on the list?
I agree... I just wanted to know what everyone else thought.. I don't even think anyone else is even close...
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:35 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: another hall of famer lol

yea, ced benson wasnt better than hall of famers

I mean, yeah, usually a team makes a good player the focal point of their offense? That's how it goes. Cedric is an example of what happens when you make a bad player the focal team of an offense - he doesn't do very well. He was okay in 2009 and sucked the other two years. I'm not sure what else to tell you. Out of all of these guys who were a primary weapon the offense, Cedric is the worst of them all. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:36 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I mean, yeah, usually a team makes a good player the focal point of their offense? That's how it goes. Cedric is an example of what happens when you make a bad player the focal team of an offense - he doesn't do very well. He was okay in 2009 and sucked the other two years. I'm not sure what else to tell you. Out of all of these guys who were a primary weapon the offense, Cedric is the worst of them all. 

Benson and the defense were the 2 main reasons Cincy won the division in 2009

I will not discount him
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yes, I'm aware, Tony said that in the post that I replied to. I was just discussing Reggie with him. 

I'm right there with you on Reggie..He was awesome here. Zim really turned him around. He maybe the Best Trade player we ever acquired....
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Benson and the defense were the 2 main reasons Cincy won the division in 2009

I will not discount him

Yeah, I'm not discounting 2009 specifically. He was fine in 2009. Not great, but he was fine. He sucked the other two years, so overall from 2009-2011, he wasn't very good. That's really all I'm saying. 
Reply/Quote
I love Hendrickson, but I think I’d call him the second best FA signing of the Taylor era so far (DJ Reader). Awuzie is also in that conversation. They’ve hit on a ton.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:35 PM)Tony Wrote: I agree... I just wanted to know what everyone else thought.. I don't even think anyone else is even close...

It probably is indeed Hendrickson at this point, but idk that nobody else is even close. We have the #4 rush D and Reader is one of the biggest reasons for that (literally). Awuzie has also been playing like a top 10 CB all season. And Spain has been our best offensive lineman, and has helped the two Joe’s immensely.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:49 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I love Hendrickson, but I think I’d call him the second best FA signing of the Taylor era so far (DJ Reader). Awuzie is also in that conversation. They’ve hit on a ton.

Nobody thinks of Vonn Bell...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:36 PM)KillerGoose Wrote:  He was okay in 2009

He was 2nd in the league in rushing yards per game (96.2) while playing for an offense that was 27th in passing.

That is a hell of a lot better than "ok".
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 01:36 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I mean, yeah, usually a team makes a good player the focal point of their offense? That's how it goes. Cedric is an example of what happens when you make a bad player the focal team of an offense - he doesn't do very well. He was okay in 2009 and sucked the other two years. I'm not sure what else to tell you. Out of all of these guys who were a primary weapon the offense, Cedric is the worst of them all. 

Cris Crocker was another under the radar signing and he paid off bigtime
Reply/Quote
Any love for Pacman?

Edit: Never mind, he's been mentioned. Sorry!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not knocking Hendrickson's production at all, but there is not a lot of competition for "Best Bengal Free Agent".

Adam Jones was All-Pro for us one year.

Burfict should have been All-Pro the one great season he had here.

Tory James went to the Pro Bowl the year he was 2nd in the league in interceptions.

Jeff Blake had a couple of good Pro Bowl seasons, but nothing close to elite

Who else would be on the list?

Maybe Reader.  I think he is the highest overall graded bengal by the fan favorite PFF 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 02:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was 2nd in the league in rushing yards per game (96.2) while playing for an offense that was 27th in passing.

That is a hell of a lot better than "ok".

Out of 49 running backs with 100 carries or more, he was...

28th in YPC
22nd in EPA per rush
26th in success rate
36th in touchdowns per attempt

Rushing yards per game is just a breakdown of total rushing yards, which is an awful way of judging a players performance. It's a volume stat. Cedric was second in the league in rushing yards per game because he had the most carries per game of any RB. Despite only playing 13 games, he finished 6th in the league in carries at 301, on pace for 368 carries. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2021, 02:34 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Cris Crocker was another under the radar signing and he paid off bigtime

I remember a Crocker hit on Holmes that was brutal. Santonio Holmes ran a slant and was absolutely lit up by Crocker. 
Reply/Quote