Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Trey Hendrickson
(10-07-2021, 10:23 AM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: I’m still amazed that people called Trey’s 13.5 sacks a fluke. That would be tied for the single season Bengals record. It doesn’t matter who you’re playing next to or how overrated some guy at PFF thinks sacks are. You don’t get 13+ sacks without being a damn good pass rusher.

No one called it a fluke. And no one suggested he wasn’t a really good pass rusher. There were just some questions as to whether or not he could switch teams (onto what’s been a terrible defense the last few years - - especially at getting to the QB) without missing a beat.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Over his first two seasons Hubbard had 14.5 sacks in only 1350 snaps.  That is a very good ratio for a guy who was not just playing on passing downs. Only two players from the '18 draft have more sacks than Hubbards 18 (Harold Landry 21.5, Bradley Chubb 20.5).  So Hubbard is not as weak at pass rush as many people claim.

He may not put up huge sack numbers, but he gets pressure and is elite against the run.  He is absolutely worth what we paid him.  Fans who don't look at any stat other than sacks would be very surprised at what Sam would have gotten on the free agent market.

Sam Hubbard is relentless.  He may not be flashy and get the highlight speed rush to the outside in garbage time, but he is a constant force and he should have been credited with a sack of Lawrence on a read-option where he stayed home and Lawrence basically tackled himself.  You could tell he was surprised that Hubbard didn't fall for it.  He lost one yard on the play.  Should have been a sack.  If he is awarded with a sack, every rating for him shoots up like 20 points.  The bottom line is, he forced a huge play on defense, whether he was credited with a sack or not.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 04:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, if he wasn't constantly being held and mugged by Offensive Tackles, he would have 6 or 7 already....

I thought he could of had 5 in the opener for heck sake. Just held him to prevent the sacks is what happened though...
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 12:09 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: To me, what makes Trey a great addition to this team is his motor. You can coach technique, and you can build your body up in the weight room with discipline, but you can’t instill the sheer “want to” into a player. This kid plays with his hair on fire and I love it! Plays within the system, does what is asked of him, and his numbers are competitive with most any DE in the league aside from Garret’s ridiculous numbers padded by that Chicago game. And I think his play resonates down the line. Every one of these guys looks like they want it. Even their rotational back ups.

Trey's motor definitely stands out along with his discipline in containing the Edge.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 04:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hubbard is 39th in pressures, so that puts him pretty close there(better obv, by a few spots) but he's #1 is tackles and stops, for EDs. It looks like he's, at least, living up to what his billing is and doing a damn good job.

Oh, I agree. That's why I considered that ranking kind of low at first look because of the eye test. He plays so hard and relentless. Then, I did the math and realized that he was actually middle of the pack of all of the #2 DEs in a stat that he's not really there to do. He's strong against the run and anything else is gravy. That's why I repped the OP. It's an accurate look that doesn't appear slanted or "out on the limb" research to point out something to grind an ax.

If anything, it proves that Cam Jordan sure does miss having TH on the other side.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Cleveland is crazy. I knew we should have signed Tak last year

They did, but I think it was a failed physical that prevented him from joining.  No offense to him, he is hungry and playing well, but I think playing on that line has to help.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 10:19 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: On the flip side… Hubbard, step it up!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

I couldn't post the picture but it shows Sam's value in the run game...which will be huge against the Browns and Ratbirds.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:27 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't get the love with Hubbard, he's been an OK player his entire career.

The organization is obsessed with him it seems - all the marketing they do around him and how they extended him this off-season. I just don't think he lives up to all of that. He makes a play here and there, but I don't think he's super consistent. I haven't heard his name called a lot this year.   

Doesn't always go in the stat sheet.  Should have been credited with a sack when Lawrence kept a read-option (probably the toughest assignment in the NFL today after Lamar and Murray) and stuff it.  

He may not be flashy, but he stuffs the run and is relentless.  
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 02:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I didn’t say I “doubted” him. I said I thought it was fair to wonder if there’d be any drop off. I figured he’d be a good player for us (about what Lawson was), but he’s been even better than I had hoped for. You just never know though when guys change situations.

Btw what did Fred finally do to get the permanent ban hammer? I’m guessing something P&R related?

I STILL laugh every time I hear (or read) "banhammer"....we sooo need a banhammer emoji.  Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh!
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 04:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I thought he could of had 5 in the opener for heck sake. Just held him to prevent the sacks is what happened though...

This is an absolute truth, and if GB has a starting OT this weekend out (not sure if it is his side), he could do that again.  He destroyed the Vikes.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 07:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32176833/2021-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings

I couldn't post the picture but it shows Sam's value in the run game...which will be huge against the Browns and Ratbirds.

Here is what caught my eye

Team pass block win rate....Bengals #13
Team run block win rate.....Bengals #6
Reply/Quote
[Image: FBgouKpWUAo7meI?format=jpg&name=large]

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 10:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
No one called it a fluke. And no one suggested he wasn’t a really good pass rusher.
There were just some questions as to whether or not he could switch teams (onto what’s been a terrible defense the last few years - - especially at getting to the QB) without missing a beat.

Well, the really kinda did. There were lot's of folk on here trying to say Hendrickson was only a product of the line he played on in NO, and that he would not be good without that kind of talent here. Kind of the same argument when people say Riley was only as good as he was because he played opposite Lamar Parrish. Neither argument is worth a spit. Trey will get the single season sack record for the Bengals this year. If the refs would quit letting other teams hold him, he would already be closing in on it.
Reply/Quote