Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trey Hop shut down Donald in London.
Maybe we match up better than we think. Hopkins has at least a 70.2 or better pass blocking grade every game since week 9. The last time we faced the Rams in 2019 in London, Trey was on Donald, he allowed 1 hurry, no sacks, and graded out at 85.3. If Trey plays anywhere near that tomorrow, we're in damn fine shape.

Here's an article about the three most underrated Bengals that will be keys tomorrow that discusses this.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-underrated-players-game-changers-super-bowl-56/

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:32 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Maybe we match up better than we think. Hopkins has at least a 70.2 or better pass blocking grade every game since week 9. The last time we faced the Rams in 2019 in London, Trey was on Darnold, he allowed 1 hurry, no sacks, and graded out at 85.3. If Trey plays anywhere near that tomorrow, we're in damn fine shape.

Here's an article about the three most underrated Bengals that will be keys tomorrow that discusses this.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/cincinnati-bengals-underrated-players-game-changers-super-bowl-56/

It’s Aaron Donald. Not Sam Darnold

And one game 3 years ago is meaningless

Donald is the best defensive player in football. And has been for 5 years
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals Oline plays well we are SB champions!
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:32 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Maybe we match up better than we think. Hopkins has at least a 70.2 or better pass blocking grade every game since week 9. The last time we faced the Rams in 2019 in London, Trey was on Darnold, he allowed 1 hurry, no sacks, and graded out at 85.3. If Trey plays anywhere near that tomorrow, we're in damn fine shape.

I think Hop shut him down because it was such a blow out lol
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:34 PM)CincyDog Wrote: It’s Aaron Donald. Not Sam Darnold

LMAO, my mistake.

How is it meaningless 3 years ago when you say he's the best defensive player for the past 5 years? All we have to go off of are head to head matchups. We were terrible, they were good, Andy Dalton was QB, and Hopkins had a nice game. It's proof it's not hopeless, and Donald was 3 years younger, as was Trey.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think Hop shut him down because it was such a blow out lol

LoL, could be. All jokes aside, it actually wasn't. 24-10, LA, we were just really bad that year.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe we match up better than we think. Hopkins has at least a 70.2 or better pass blocking grade every game since week 9. The last time we faced the Rams in 2019 in London, Trey was on Darnold, he allowed 1 hurry, no sacks, and graded out at 85.3. If Trey plays anywhere near that tomorrow, we're in damn fine shape.

I would hope Hopkins could block Sam Darnold.  I mean, he's not great, but he's still an NFL OL.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:35 PM)M.W. Wrote: If the Bengals Oline plays well we  are SB champions!

They gotta be sick of hearing this shit.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Maybe we match up better than we think. Hopkins has at least a 70.2 or better pass blocking grade every game since week 9. The last time we faced the Rams in 2019 in London, Trey was on Darnold, he allowed 1 hurry, no sacks, and graded out at 85.3. If Trey plays anywhere near that tomorrow, we're in damn fine shape.

Donald played pretty well in that game overall. He finished the day with one sack and three tackles for loss. I'm not sure how many times Hopkins saw him, but Donald still played well. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: I would hope Hopkins could block Sam Darnold.  I mean, he's not great, but he's still an NFL OL.

LoL, yeah, I can't figure out how to edit it. Sue me, kids are running apeshit through the house, I had a blonde/senior moment. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:47 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Donald played pretty well in that game overall. He finished the day with one sack and three tackles for loss. I'm not sure how many times Hopkins saw him, but Donald still played well. 

I'd take one sack all day by Donald, wouldn't you? I mean, all we hear is TN had 9 sacks, AD will have that many by himself. If Trey can have himself a game as good as he did that day, we'll be fine. Also, Hopkins hasn't played as badly as folks on here act.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:50 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd take one sack all day by Donald, wouldn't you? I mean, all we hear is TN had 9 sacks, AD will have that many by himself. If Trey can have himself a game as good as he did that day, we'll be fine. Also, Hopkins hasn't played as badly as folks on here act.

Sure, of course. One important thing to note is that Donald generally plays on the right side of the defensive line - left side if you're thinking of the OL. He will be going against Spain primarily. Donald on Hakeem or Carman would be a huge issue, but I feel much better about Spain. Donald will get his still, but it won't be as bad. 

Von Miller on Prince is a big problem, though. At the end of the day, this team is plenty capable of beating the Rams. 
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:45 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: They gotta be sick of hearing this shit.

Im sure they’re sick of hearing it, but they’ve heard it all season and remained bad. It’s just a talent thing
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:35 PM)M.W. Wrote: If the Bengals Oline plays well we  are SB champions!

Nailed it - that's 80% of the game IMO.
If JB has a chance, he will find a way. 

The other 20% is our D minimizing the Cupp effect
He and Chase are game changers
Reply/Quote

At least it is 1 game in Trey's favor. Much better than Trey getting dominated by Darnold.
Reply/Quote
PFF's game grades are notoriously inconsistent. If you go through all our games this year, almost everyone's had their share of weeks when they were the weakest link. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true... I mean, for guys to swing that wildly from best to worst/week to week wouldn't even make sense. They're the same players, they're not really changing that much. If anything it's more reflective of our game plans.

Rather than how he's done against AD, it's good to know he's seen him at least. Also good to know we've designed and executed a successful strategy around him in the past, albeit without having to worry about Miller and Floyd as well. Unfortunately we won't have that luxury tomorrow.
Reply/Quote

Aaron Donald had basically the same 2021 as he did in 2019, which was when the Bengals last played against the Rams.
Nearly identical sacks, TFLs, QB hits, and PFF pass rush rating.
2019 - 12.5 sacks, 20 TFL, 24 QB Hits, 92.8 pass rush PFF rating, 93.6 overall PFF rating
2021 - 12.5 sacks, 19 TFL, 25 QB Hits, 92.7 pass rush PFF rating, 93.6 overall PFF rating

In that 2019 Bengals-Rams game, Billy Price and Alex Redmond were inside with Hopkins, as John Miller was inactive.

So if Hopkins was able to help stifle Donald that game with Price and Redmond next to him, he might fare the same with Spain and Carman this time. This time though, the OTs have to worry about Von Miller and Leonard Floyd whereas 2019 they had to worry about Dante Fowler and Samson Ebukam. 2021 OLBs are bigger threat.

Looking back at that 2019 starting OL for that game though...woo boy.
John Jerry, Billy Price, Hopkins, Alex Redmond, Bobby Hart.
Might be the worst OL in Bengals history lol.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:55 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Im sure they’re sick of hearing it, but they’ve heard it all season and remained bad. It’s just a talent thing

Oh yeah, totally agree with that. However, it seems when we really need em to hold the point of attack, they dig down deep from somewhere and get it done. Here's to hoping they have the game of their lives.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 05:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Sure, of course. One important thing to note is that Donald generally plays on the right side of the defensive line - left side if you're thinking of the OL. He will be going against Spain primarily. Donald on Hakeem or Carman would be a huge issue, but I feel much better about Spain. Donald will get his still, but it won't be as bad. 

Von Miller on Prince is a big problem, though. At the end of the day, this team is plenty capable of beating the Rams. 

Absolutely on all accounts. They're gonna have to chip Miller, I think Hop will be able to help the guards.

You're not gonna stop AD, you just need to minimize his effect on the game. What stands out for me about the game in question is the line that was around Trey that day.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2022, 06:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Aaron Donald had basically the same 2021 as he did in 2019, which was when the Bengals last played against the Rams.
Nearly identical sacks, TFLs, QB hits, and PFF pass rush rating.
2019 - 12.5 sacks, 20 TFL, 24 QB Hits, 92.8 pass rush PFF rating, 93.6 overall PFF rating
2021 - 12.5 sacks, 19 TFL, 25 QB Hits, 92.7 pass rush PFF rating, 93.6 overall PFF rating

In that 2019 Bengals-Rams game, Billy Price and Alex Redmond were inside with Hopkins, as John Miller was inactive.

So if Hopkins was able to help stifle Donald that game with Price and Redmond next to him, he might fare the same with Spain and Carman this time. This time though, the OTs have to worry about Von Miller and Leonard Floyd whereas 2019 they had to worry about Dante Fowler and Samson Ebukam. 2021 OLBs are bigger threat.

Looking back at that 2019 starting OL for that game though...woo boy.
John Jerry, Billy Price, Hopkins, Alex Redmond, Bobby Hart.
Might be the worst OL in Bengals history lol.

It ranks up there as one of the worst, no question. Thanks for providing more in depth comparison, as you usually do. 

Reply/Quote