Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trey Hopkins-contract extended
Good. Hopefully Trey brings it after the contract.

They should've kept him at Center last year and worked on Price for another position.

Instead they wanted to force him into the spot.

If it was Zac or Turner's decision to keep Trey at Center I give them complete credit.

It was a good decision obviously !
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Great to hear, he's been one of the few bright spots this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Look to the Patriots as a potential landing spot for Price in a trade this off season. Depending on if David Andrews will continue his career after the blood clotting issues that took him out for the year, Price would make sense there. Don’t get too excited it’s a day 3 pick at this point but there will be suitors for a center potentially.
Reply/Quote
Congrats to Trey Hopkins he earned every cent.

That's 3 out of 5 starting offensive linemen for next year. Would love to see Michael Jordan take a big step forward in year two and draft a Tackle on day 2.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: Look to the Patriots as a potential landing spot for Price in a trade this off season. Depending on if David Andrews will continue his career after the blood clotting issues that took him out for the year, Price would make sense there. Don’t get too excited it’s a day 3 pick at this point but there will be suitors for a center potentially.

Why trade him at this point when he basically has no value?  His contract makes him perfectly suited as a backup for now, and there is still the chance the light might come on for him. 
Reply/Quote
I like the signing and props to the Bengals for making it happen now instead of closer to free agency.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:51 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Why trade him at this point when he basically has no value?  His contract makes him perfectly suited as a backup for now, and there is still the chance the light might come on for him. 

He’s a center, not a guard and it’s pretty apparent at this point. Long term it looks like they prefer Miller and Jordan with possibly a rookie in the mix at guard. His contract for a back up is actually kind of high as a former 1st round pick, but while the general public doesn’t value day 3 picks a lot of really good o linemen are found on day 3.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:48 AM)pally Wrote: new 3 year  $20.4 million contract.  Good for Trey...he earned it

Good deal...now the problem will be do the Bengals think they can get anything out of Price as a guard with a full offseason to prepare?  Does it even matter what they think?  Can he do it or not?  He was supposedly injured all season, but his play was downright awful.  As bad a pick as Ogbuehi.  Wish there was another Nelson, the G from Indy, in the draft.  That guy is a beast and Indy really benefited from his arrival.  
Reply/Quote
Hopkins struggled at guard but has become a top notch center. Great job Bengals on signing Hopkins. Now let’s sign a big time lineman and we are back in buisiness. Especially with the return of Williams at tackle.
Reply/Quote
Is Hopkins really a "top center"?  I know he was better than Price last year, but that is not saying a lot.

To me Price is probably the biggest disappointment on a team of disappointments this year.  I thought last year's poor play was due to his recovering from an injury in the offseason.  I was really counting on him to make big improvements to the O-line this year.
Reply/Quote
Good for Hopkins he deserved it. One of too few bright spots.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is Hopkins really a "top center"?  I know he was better than Price last year, but that is not saying a lot.

To me Price is probably the biggest disappointment on a team of disappointments this year.  I figure last years poor play was due to his recovering from an injury in the offseason.  I was really counting on him to make big improvements to theO-line this year.

I don't remember who was saying it.  Could have been Lapham or maybe Dehner.  Anyway, one of the local guys was saying that his lack of arm length forced him to reach and play off balance.  He overcommits to compensate.  Essentially, he's not suited to play anywhere but center, if even there.  He's not built for winning the leverage game at the NFL level.

Not saying it's ogspel, but just another possible explanation for his lack of success.
Reply/Quote
Good for Hopkins and good for the team to get him locked down. There are enough question marks up front right now. No need to let him test free agency if he can be signed now. His avg annual pay in the extension equals out to what I figured he'd get, ie around 7 mil per.

Now go get an upgrade at guard or OT to end the era of shitty Bengal o-line play.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is Hopkins really a "top center"?  I know he was better than Price last year, but that is not saying a lot.

To me Price is probably the biggest disappointment on a team of disappointments this year.  I thought last year's poor play was due to his recovering from an injury in the offseason.  I was really counting on him to make big improvements to the O-line this year.

He was for a decent stretch at the beginning of the season. I know his play has dropped off a bit since then (or at least his grade).

I don’t know where he stacks up against other centers around the league at this point, but I think it’s fair to say he’s the best one we’ve had in quite a while. I’m glad we re-signed him.

Reply/Quote
Good news, still hope we draft Biadasz if we trade back or in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
Well, they signed Bobby Hart to an extension too .....sooo let’s hold the applause for now.
Reply/Quote

I wouldn't say he's a top center, more like mid-pack; but he is by far our best olineman. Put him between NFL caliber Guards and he very well could become one. Couple that with the fact that he's played over 1,000 snaps and you have an interior lineman you must re-sign. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Well it's a start. Now if they can sign some quality FA's and draft some more lineman to protect the franchise QB they're sure to draft in the first.
Reply/Quote
PFF has him ranked 5th in snaps played, tied for 26th in penalties (2), and 1st in sacks allowed (5)

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/trey-hopkins/9276
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 03:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: PFF has him ranked 5th in snaps played, tied for 26th in penalties (2), and 1st in sacks allowed (5)

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/trey-hopkins/9276

I think he's solid, and will raise it to good once they get some competent guards around him.

PFF grades aren't gospel or anything, but it's not like these ones here are telling us anything our eyes haven't told us all year....
John Jerry: 55.6 (2 penalties, 8 sacks)
Michael Jordan: 39.0 (5 penalties, 6 sacks)
John Miller: 57.0 (3 penalties, 2 sacks)
Alex Redmond: 50.6 (1 penalty, 2 sacks)
Billy Price: 42.3 (4 penalties, 2 sacks)

And here's where the real difference maker comes. % of snaps played.

Hopkins: 99.9%
Jerry: 43.6%
Jordan: 55.9%
Miller: 69.1%
Redmond: 18.5%
Price: 57.2%

So Hopkins has had to play with 5 different terrible guards next to him. The sacks/penalties for the guards look so much worse when you realize that's only playing part time. Jordan with 5 penalties and 6 sacks despite only playing 55.9%. Jerry with 8 sacks despite playing only 43.6% of the snaps is absolutely brutal. I can't imagine playing next to that as a C means you're focusing only on your guy since you know you're about to have a guy blast right past your G near you.

Need to spend more money in FA this coming offseason. Get 2 more good (not Bobby Harts) OL even if you're banking on Jonah Williams coming back and being good (not a great bet considering this FO track record on OL lately). Can't subject Burrows to that OL, you'll break/ruin him like David Carr.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote