Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trey Hopkins-contract extended
(12-28-2019, 12:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Congrats to Trey Hopkins he earned every cent.

That's 3 out of 5 starting offensive linemen for next year. Would love to see Michael Jordan take a big step forward in year two and draft a Tackle on day 2.

Who is the third?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 04:25 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Who is the third?

Jonah Williams Trey Hopkins and John Miller.

They seem committed to Miller. I'd say he's the definition of average but helps going into a line rebuild year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 04:29 PM)Synric Wrote: Jonah Williams Trey Hopkins and John Miller.

They seem committed to Miller. I'd say he's the definition of average but helps going into a line rebuild year.

I would call Miller a capable backup. I would prefer to keep Glenn for his last year of his contract at guard - then you have 3 and if they could actually target a starter RT with the second pick that may make 4. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 11:48 AM)pally Wrote: new 3 year  $20.4 million contract.  Good for Trey...he earned it

Great news, finally got a good Center after all these years of poor play at the position. Congrats to Trey Hop. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And Gatorade....

As much as he can drink at the stadium. He just can’t take it home with him.
Reply/Quote
Props to the front office! He should continue to get better.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is Hopkins really a "top center"?  I know he was better than Price last year, but that is not saying a lot.

To me Price is probably the biggest disappointment on a team of disappointments this year.  I thought last year's poor play was due to his recovering from an injury in the offseason.  I was really counting on him to make big improvements to the O-line this year.

Not since week 3. He's currently the 24th rated center and he's given up the 3rd most pressures. 

Meanwhile...Ragnow is the 3rd rated center and 15th in pressures. 

But in this clown show of a year, i guess he could be considered a "bright spot". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hopkins isn't a top center by any means, but is a fine player that needed to be extended and I'm glad we did. Stabilize one of the guard spots and I believe that the level of play we saw from Hopkins at the start of this season can be sustained for an entire season. Honestly this OL isn't far off from being a solid group.

Just really sucks that Price didn't pan out and we had a capable guy all along. But some of us figured that Price was a reach to begin with. Really would've liked Wynn or Will Hernandez instead.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 06:04 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not since week 3. He's currently the 24th rated center and he's given up the 3rd most pressures. 

But in this clown show of a year, i guess he could be considered a "bright spot". 

Ragnow talk is moot as he was gone when we drafted but looking at some of the olinemen taken after price makes one shake their head:
Isiah Wynn
Will Hernandez
Braden Smith
James Daniels
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 06:04 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not since week 3. He's currently the 24th rated center and he's given up the 3rd most pressures. 

I wonder if changing the blocking scheme actually hurt him?

I seem to recall him being rated decent midyear?
Reply/Quote
I don't recall who said what when the Price pick was announced, but I do recall plenty of people acting like he was a can't miss player. Hindsight is a heck of a drug, huh? I remember myself thinking, "He'll get injured if he isn't already.." which to my recollection was the case.
Now that we're poised to pick Joe Burrow perhaps the bengals braintrust should petition LSU to sit him against Clemson.. I smell an injury in the making.. GOD! I hate being THIS pessimistic.. I like to be somewhat pessimistic, but now I've kicked it into another gear..  Sick
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 07:42 AM)Whodey614 Wrote: Hopkins isn't a top center by any means, but is a fine player that needed to be extended and I'm glad we did. Stabilize one of the guard spots and I believe that the level of play we saw from Hopkins at the start of this season can be sustained for an entire season. Honestly this OL isn't far off from being a solid group.

Just really sucks that Price didn't pan out and we had a capable guy all along. But some of us figured that Price was a reach to begin with. Really would've liked Wynn or Will Hernandez instead.

Sadly on Price, I've read hes more suited for C than Guard so I doubt he plans out here. Maybe hes a backup C for 2 more years?
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 12:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder if changing the blocking scheme actually hurt him?

I seem to recall him being rated decent midyear?

Since week 4, it's been a steady decline with a couple bumps up before going back down. Last 5 weeks have been 48, 52, 61, 60 and 54. 

No penalties though, and he's been consistently good in passpro. It's his run blocking that is pretty bad but that could be attributed to bad play on either side of him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
FWIW PFF had him in the top half just last month:
https://www.pff.com/news/underrated-players-on-every-nfl-team
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Have to remember a 59 is an above average run blocking grade. They are harsh with their run blocking scores.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Hopkins put an end to Bengal central turnstiles and embarrasements.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2019, 12:28 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Me too — and in my case this might be me speaking as an OSU alumnus — but there has to be a logical reason why Billy Price went from hero to zero when moving from Columbus to Cincinnati. It could be coaching.  It could be incomplete recovery from injury.  It could be a combination of both.  One doesn’t go bust without a reason.  

Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t Billy playing well during his first few games as a Bengal in 2018 before the injury when the team started 4-1?

Or it could be that he was greatly overrated.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2019, 01:50 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Or it could be that he was greatly overrated.

OSU player being over rated by many on this board? Say it ain’t so....lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote