Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troy Walters announced as WR coach
Troy Walters, currently assistant WR coach is expected to be promoted to the WR coach position succeeding Bob Bicknell

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I wonder what went down with Bob. He was one of our better Assistant coaches I felt (along with Livingston).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 04:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: I wonder what went down with Bob. He was one of our better Assistant coaches I felt (along with Livingston).

I somewhat agree but somewhat disagree.
Receivers who boosted themselves - Higgins, Boyd.
Receivers who declined or stayed the same - Green, Ross, Thomas
It's hard to say either way for Tate and Erickson, as both had decent 2019 season but not good 2020 season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 04:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I somewhat agree but somewhat disagree.
Receivers who boosted themselves - Higgins, Boyd.
Receivers who declined or stayed the same - Green, Ross, Thomas
It's hard to say either way for Tate and Erickson, as both had decent 2019 season but not good 2020 season.

well green declined due to age and health.. Ross never inclined  So not really sure can put that on anyone cept those who drafted him
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 04:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well green declined due to age and health.. Ross never inclined  So not really sure can put that on anyone cept those who drafted him

Ross did incline...2019. Over 500 yards in 8 games.
IMO it's on the WR coach, playcalling, and John Ross himself that he wasn't at least that effective this past year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 04:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well green declined due to age and health.. Ross never inclined  So not really sure can put that on anyone cept those who drafted him

Yeah, Ross was a colossal bust. Ross even being on this team is on Tobin and Mike Brown. Marvin got more out of him, 7 TDs in 2018, than Taylor has in either year.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:39 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, Ross was a colossal bust. Ross even being on this team is on Tobin and Mike Brown. Marvin got more out of him, 7 TDs in 2018, than Taylor has in either year.

He was having a better overall season in 2019 than 2018. He easily exceeded every stat except TDs. And that was with him missing half the season.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:39 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, Ross was a colossal bust. Ross even being on this team is on Tobin and Mike Brown. Marvin got more out of him, 7 TDs in 2018, than Taylor has in either year.

Clearly Ross ain’t cut out for it.  I was really hoping to see Ross excel under ZT, and it seemed like it was primed to happen with the opener in Seattle in 2019.  Then he remembered he’s John Ross I guess.  Ugh.  Wasted talent.  
Reply/Quote
Bengals officially announce the promotion

Reply/Quote
Looking at Walters' coaching history is fascinating. He seriously began his coaching career as a D1 OC/WR/QB coach. You can say what you want about it being an FCS position, but that's impressive.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 04:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ross did incline...2019. Over 500 yards in 8 games.
IMO it's on the WR coach, playcalling, and John Ross himself that he wasn't at least that effective this past year.

He had a lot of failures in 2019 as well and IIRC, there was some garbage time stats that padded him.

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 04:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ross did incline...2019. Over 500 yards in 8 games.

And only a 50% catch rate that year, a 14.3% drop rate, and multiple turnovers due to lack of effort or knowledge.

He had 1 good game, man, and it was a fluke. He got THE most garbage time TD I have ever seen in Week 2, and then in the next 6 weeks he had 236 yards receiving and only caught 47.3% of the passes thrown to him.

There was no incline.

- - - - - -- - - - - -

As for this hire... it's amazing how often the Bengals seem to think they have the guy they need to fill their spots already in the organization. Even West Virginians think the Bengals are too inbred of an organization.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Lightbulb 
(01-09-2021, 09:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And only a 50% catch rate that year, a 14.3% drop rate, and multiple turnovers due to lack of effort or knowledge.

He had 1 good game, man, and it was a fluke. He got THE most garbage time TD I have ever seen in Week 2, and then in the next 6 weeks he had 236 yards receiving and only caught 47.3% of the passes thrown to him.

There was no incline.

- - - - - -- - - - - -

As for this hire... it's amazing how often the Bengals seem to think they have the guy they need to fill their spots already in the organization. Even West Virginians think the Bengals are too inbred of an organization.

Hey now...inbreeding is statistically a higher percentage in Ohio because of Amish and Mennonites.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 09:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: He had a lot of failures in 2019 as well and IIRC, there was some garbage time stats that padded him.

That's one of the things stat people forget about, a lot.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2021, 04:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: I wonder what went down with Bob. He was one of our better Assistant coaches I felt (along with Livingston).

Just curious how you would know he was a good assistant? Not trying to be a smart ass, I just wouldn’t know. Platers comments? 
Reply/Quote
I don’t see how this makes the coaching staff better. Going from two coaches to one coach seems like a downgrade unless the coach you’re losing was doing more harm than good. Kind of a meh move. But maybe in this case the assistant coach was a better coach??

Pollack is a definite an upgrade at oline coach. Otherwise the coaching staff hasn’t improved other than the young coaches learning on the job.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 09:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And only a 50% catch rate that year, a 14.3% drop rate, and multiple turnovers due to lack of effort or knowledge.

There was no incline.

- - - - - -- - - - - -

I consider a "good" game to be 75+ yards. Ross had 80+ yards 3 times in 8 games in 2019.
That's more than "one good game."
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

AJ was at the level of elite in league, his decline was injuries not Coaching. Ross just was a non factor so much to even fairly judge
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:21 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I don’t see how this makes the coaching staff better. Going from two coaches to one coach seems like a downgrade unless the coach you’re losing was doing more harm than good. Kind of a meh move. But maybe in this case the assistant coach was a better coach??

Pollack is a definite an upgrade at oline coach. Otherwise the coaching staff hasn’t improved other than the young coaches learning on the job.

I'm sure we're going to hire an assistant WR coach. 

I think this is more an issue of keeping an up and coming young coach, versus a mid-career coach whose contract was probably up on an underachieving team. No he's not a bad coach and will probably get interest somewhere else, but there probably wasn't much upside in keeping him. On the other hand, if Walters is a future OC (as he has done in college), this is the best time to make sure you keep him. 
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 08:58 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Looking at Walters' coaching history is fascinating. He seriously began his coaching career as a D1 OC/WR/QB coach. You can say what you want about it being an FCS position, but that's impressive.

Yes. Exactly. 

And he was OC at Nebraska before he came here. He's got a wealth of experience for his age. This is why I think it was more about retaining Walters than it was "firing" Bicknell. At least that's how i'm reading the tea leaves. 
Reply/Quote