Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
True depth of our coaching staff will be tested
After a surprising run to the Superbowl, and nearly pulling off a championship, nobody is going to be surprised by the Bengals in 2022. We all know that the physical talent is there, the OL has been rebuilt, and save for a couple of additions at CB and perhaps DT the defense is good to go. However, the kicker is that many other AFC teams also have loaded up and improved their rosters this offseason. Buffalo, LA Chargers, and now possibly the Dolphins all look to be "scary" good as well.

What the 2022 season is going to come down to is the ability of Zac Taylor and his coordinators to continually keep coming up with diverse game plans with diverse play calling on offense and masterful schemes on defense. With such a high level of talent amassed in the AFC this season, it's going to come down to smart decisions and adjustments in real time this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Nobody with any opinion on weather Zac and the staff are up for the challenges ahead?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I will chime in sunset.  I think Zac Taylor has improved the last 3 years and I guess it can be argued that every coach makes questionable calls, especially when the plays don't seem to work out.  But the one coach I'm most impressed with is sweet. Lou. I think the Bengals have something there.

It seems to me with the new personnel along the o line that they're going to run the ball down the other team's throats. I knew other teams have improved but they do not have. Joe Burrow
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 12:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nobody with any opinion on weather Zac and the staff are up for the challenges ahead?

I think that Zac Taylor and his coordinators and frankly entire staff have proved that they passed the most difficult task and that’s changing from a loser mentality to a winning mentality. They completely changed the culture which is ridiculously tough. They did it in dramatic and expedited fashion. Steven Radicevic (head of pro scouting) on a podcast said they changed their approach 3 years ago (when Zac changed it). Zac told the scouting department to look at players interacting with their teammates on the sideline and look for players from winning teams and of high character. Mission accomplished. Instructed the college scouting department to also look at captains of teams and players from winning programs. Mission accomplished.

Now to your post. There are definitely challenges. The biggest challenge is keeping them hungry as a team. The free agents coming in should help as they’ve been on teams winning Super Bowls. That’s something the whole organization shares as new.

The next biggest challenge is self examination of their weaknesses and their forecast of how teams will defend them next year. It sounds like Hurst is an important piece there. I’d expect they will be much better in the run game as the additions in the OL are great in the run game. They will probably be more aggressive in their schemes with better talent. My understanding is the new additions are very smart. Smart can contribute to what you can do. Part of that process will be adjusting to how teams double team Chase and take advantage of it. Part of their evaluation will be fixing their poor third down and red zone difficulties. They need to fix that. The key next year will be taking this offense to the next level. But most of us message board geniuses don’t comprehend the handicap the poor line was in play calling and other areas. Yet the offense was efficient as hell as they were #8 in points per play. They also were nearly the least penalized team. So despite their weaknesses on offense they were pretty efficient.

The defense likewise needs to self-evaluate and improve.

Finally I know a NFL head coach and AFC OC and the perception Zac Taylor by them versus this message board is a hell of a lot different LOL. Taylor is not a finished product by any means. He’s still learning but as one said Bill Belichick wasn’t the second coming of Vince Lombardi at 38. He’s going to have a long ride in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
After his first two seasons I had no reason to have any faith in Zach or his staff. But I agreed that he deserved another year due to the way we had 3 position groups wiped out by injury (DT, CB, O-line)

14 weeks into his 3rd season we were 7-6 and did not look like a playoff team.

But based on how we finished I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. We just crushed it in free agency. He has the roster to win it all.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Finally I know a NFL head coach and AFC OC and the perception Zac Taylor by them versus this message board is a hell of a lot different LOL. Taylor is not a finished product by any means. He’s still learning but as one said Bill Belichick wasn’t the second coming of Vince Lombardi at 38. He’s going to have a long ride in the NFL.

Any specific details you can share on those thoughts?  The perception on the boards here runs a pretty wide range and has since Zac was hired.  

This will definitely be an interesting year for the team, though.  Last year they were all about proving people wrong, and surprising everyone.  Next year, they're going to have to grind it out from day 1 to keep the focus where it needs to be to get back and finish what they started this past season.  Playing the top teams in each division, target on their back and lots more film for people to see what to expect.  I'm very interested to see how it goes.  But I think the players are hungry, and everyone still feels there's something to prove to the league. 
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:32 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Any specific details you can share on those thoughts?  The perception on the boards here runs a pretty wide range and has since Zac was hired.  

This will definitely be an interesting year for the team, though.  Last year they were all about proving people wrong, and surprising everyone.  Next year, they're going to have to grind it out from day 1 to keep the focus where it needs to be to get back and finish what they started this past season.  Playing the top teams in each division, target on their back and lots more film for people to see what to expect.  I'm very interested to see how it goes.  But I think the players are hungry, and everyone still feels there's something to prove to the league. 

Mostly how difficult it is to turn around a franchise from such a disaster the previous couple of years and such a lengthy struggle of winning. The OC is impressed with the schemes on offense. But Mike Zimmer really was impressed with Taylor’s offensive schemes in addition. Sorry that’s it. May learn more when they aren’t so busy.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:41 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mostly how difficult it is to turn around a franchise from such a disaster the previous couple of years and such a lengthy struggle of winning. The OC is impressed with the schemes on offense. But Mike Zimmer really was impressed with Taylor’s offensive schemes in addition. Sorry that’s it. May learn more when they aren’t so busy.

That's good/interesting insight even if pithy!  No complaints from me on that.  Love to hear it.  In the breakdowns I've seen of offensive schemes, there's some pretty heady stuff going on, it just hasn't always been executed properly based on the roster they had.  Which is all I've really ever said about Zac.  He has had a vision, but couldn't execute it until he had "his guys" out there.  We saw last year where that can take them.  With a better roster now than last year, it's time to capitalize.  But respect from the league is good to hear.  And dropping game balls off around town has upped his respect among the laity as well!
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think that Zac Taylor and his coordinators and frankly entire staff have proved that they passed the most difficult task and that’s changing from a loser mentality to a winning mentality. They completely changed the culture which is ridiculously tough. They did it in dramatic and expedited fashion. Steven Radicevic (head of pro scouting) on a podcast said they changed their approach 3 years ago (when Zac changed it). Zac told the scouting department to look at players interacting with their teammates on the sideline and look for players from winning teams and of high character. Mission accomplished. Instructed the college scouting department to also look at captains of teams and players from winning programs. Mission accomplished.

This is something that I feel often goes overlooked around here, the amount of input that Zac has with regard to personnel and scouting decisions.  I remember back when he was hired, the common thought was that with a rookie coach, it was back to the old days as far as the front office dictating the roster decision.  Obviously, that is not the case, and Zac indeed has been able to have significant influence over personnel and scouting.  As far as crafting a winning culture?  It was off to a slow start, but has gained massive traction throughout the team.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 01:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I will chime in sunset.  I think Zac Taylor has improved the last 3 years and I guess it can be argued that every coach makes questionable calls, especially when the plays don't seem to work out.  But the one coach I'm most impressed with is sweet. Lou. I think the Bengals have something there.

It seems to me with the new personnel along the o line that they're going to run the ball down the other team's throats. I knew other teams have improved but they do not have. Joe Burrow

Any coach that can convince almost an entire fan base that Eli Apple is a good football player is Hall of Fame material.   Hilarious

Joking aside...When it comes to the current coaching staff, I put all my worries to rest last season after the Raiders W.  

We know ZT can adjust his game plan
We know ZT can change a culture (in the locker room and on the field)
We know ZT can win big games

If i were to manufacture concerns for this season it would be:

Can ZT adjust his game plan on the fly (versus waiting until half time)?
Can the coaching staff be less predictable on offensive play calling?
Can the coaching staff produce more consistency from the team?  (Browns, Chargers)

But honestly, I don't think I'm the least bit concerned about the coaching staff this season.  Like everyone else, I think this team is going to win a lot of games this coming season.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 11:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After a surprising run to the Superbowl, and nearly pulling off a championship, nobody is going to be surprised by the Bengals in 2022.  We all know that the physical talent is there, the OL has been rebuilt, and save for a couple of additions at CB and perhaps DT the defense is good to go.  However, the kicker is that many other AFC teams also have loaded up and improved their rosters this offseason.  Buffalo, LA Chargers, and now possibly the Dolphins all look to be "scary" good as well.

What the 2022 season is going to come down to is the ability of Zac Taylor and his coordinators to continually keep coming up with diverse game plans with diverse play calling on offense and masterful schemes on defense.  With such a high level of talent amassed in the AFC this season, it's going to come down to smart decisions and adjustments in real time this season.

Why you have to single out the kicker ? I thought he did pretty well last season.  Shocked

Seriously though, yes I agree, we climbed hill A. Now we have to climb he B. It's gonna be a whole new ballgame. I'm hoping that the new Oline is much improved and that will open up the playbook to new heights. I'm hoping the run game will be much improved sending play action into the next gear. I'm hoping we'll have the ability to pick up those 3rd and 1's and 2's and sustain drives.

And most of all I'm hoping that JB and ZT with a full season under their belts plus playoffs they've ironed out their differences and get the playcalling down to a science.
Reply/Quote
Clearly more talent this year but we are also likely to have more injuries.

Also replacing 3 last place teams on our schedule with 3 division champions.

Our coaches will be tested.
Reply/Quote
So basically what you're saying is next season "Will define Zac?" Ninja Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 03:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So basically what you're saying is next season "Will define Zac?" Ninja  Hilarious  Hilarious  Hilarious

I'm not saying anything other than it will be a real test.  Mellow

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 02:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Why you have to single out the kicker ? I thought he did pretty well last season.  Shocked

Seriously though, yes I agree, we climbed hill A. Now we have to climb he B. It's gonna be a whole new ballgame. I'm hoping that the new Oline is much improved and that will open up the playbook to new heights. I'm hoping the run game will be much improved sending play action into the next gear. I'm hoping we'll have the ability to pick up those 3rd and 1's and 2's and sustain drives.

**And most of all I'm hoping that JB and ZT with a full season under their belts plus playoffs they've ironed out their differences and get the playcalling down to a science.**

Burrow and Taylor differences? You lost me
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 11:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After a surprising run to the Superbowl, and nearly pulling off a championship, nobody is going to be surprised by the Bengals in 2022.  We all know that the physical talent is there, the OL has been rebuilt, and save for a couple of additions at CB and perhaps DT the defense is good to go.  However, the kicker is that many other AFC teams also have loaded up and improved their rosters this offseason.  Buffalo, LA Chargers, and now possibly the Dolphins all look to be "scary" good as well.

What the 2022 season is going to come down to is the ability of Zac Taylor and his coordinators to continually keep coming up with diverse game plans with diverse play calling on offense and masterful schemes on defense.  With such a high level of talent amassed in the AFC this season, it's going to come down to smart decisions and adjustments in real time this season.

Great thread Sunset, no doubt this season will be a major test for the coaching staff. No one will be looking past us. We will have a
big damn target on our back the same as the Rams. Also the Ravens and Steelers will be looking for revenge after we just owned 
them last season. Have to start beating the Stains again. 

A team that you didn't mention that I think will be really good is the Broncos, they already had one of the best Defenses in the NFL.

Now they got Russell Wilson, if the O-line holds up and they get some weapons this could be a really tough team along with the Bills
as you mention and the Colts with their run game and Defense and now having Matt Ryan.

We have the players here to still be top dog but the coaching will have to continue to grow in all aspects.

The AFC is loaded compared to last year when it was pretty even and most teams were right around .500 or slightly above.

This year I think the AFC could dominate the NFC teams for the most part.

The Bengals surprised everyone last season, no one saw us coming. It will be different this season.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 03:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Burrow and Taylor differences? You lost me

Me too....
Reply/Quote

Just because you throw paint at a canvas doesn't make it a Picasso. Most of these trades and moves will not work out some will.

We have a lot of hard workers that love football on the team, and they know they will have to put in the work this year. Some have said it in interviews already so I think they will put in the work and effort it will take to make it back to the playoffs. We are still a hungry team.
Reply/Quote
I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm going to have to see another season of excellence to really cement just how I feel about this staff and team as real contenders. The real test will come as this season and then the following season unfolds. 23 will really test them and their ability to find replacement talent without having top 5 picks and tons of cap space for FAs. We shall see. I truly hope they exceed all my expectations.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 11:54 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Just because you throw paint at a canvas doesn't make it a Picasso. Most of these trades and moves will not work out some will.

We have a lot of hard workers that love football on the team, and they know they will have to put in the work this year. Some have said it in interviews already so I think they will put in the work and effort it will take to make it back to the playoffs. We are still a hungry team.

Somehow I feel like the Bills were already really close to being able to get over the top, and now they are looking to me to be the team to beat in the AFC.  The Chargers are also building something special out there.  On Miami, I feel like you're right.  It will likely all blow up in their faces.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote