Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump administration has secretly withheld millions from FDNY 9/11 health program
For those of you not from the area the Trib leans to right in the same way the Titanic leans toward the ocean floor.

https://triblive.com/news/politics-election/report-trump-administration-has-secretly-withheld-millions-from-fdny-9-11-health-program/?fbclid=IwAR18uzvJYvBvuMo7YeNzQi-LwEkuCWh6voO3_7GEq9iIgGN9WSxLIjhRlz0

Quote:WASHINGTON — The Trump administration has secretly siphoned nearly $4 million away from a program that tracks and treats FDNY firefighters and medics suffering from 9/11-related illnesses, the New York Daily News has learned.

The Treasury Department started withholding parts of payments — nearly four years ago — meant to cover medical services for firefighters, emergency medical technicians and paramedics treated by the FDNY World Trade Center Health Program, documents obtained by The News reveal.

The payments were authorized and made by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, which oversees the program. But instead of sending the funds to the city, the Treasury started keeping some of the money.

“This was just disappearing,” the program’s director, Dr. David Prezant, told The News. “This is the most amazing thing. This was disappearing — without any notification.”

Prezant said he was docked about half a million dollars each year in 2016 and 2017. Then it crept up to about $630,000 in 2018 and 2019. This year, Treasury has nearly tripled its extractions, diverting $1.447 million through late August, according to Prezant.

“Here we have sick World Trade Center-exposed firefighters and EMS workers, at a time when the city is having difficult financial circumstances due to covid-19, and we’re not getting the money we need to be able to treat these heroes,” said Prezant, the FDNY’s Chief Medical Officer.

“And for years, they wouldn’t even tell us — we never ever received a letter telling us this,” he explained.

Prezant was never able to get an explanation from NIOSH or the mammoth Department of Health and Human Services which has the agency under its umbrella.

After years of complaining, Prezant did get a partial answer when Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y., put his political weight behind the inquiry. That answer was that some other agency in the city has been in an unrelated feud with the feds over Medicare bills.

For some reason, Treasury decided to stiff the FDNY. Neither the Treasury Department nor the White House answered requests for comment.

King said whatever the circumstance is that forces a premier program for sick 9/11 first responders to go begging for help on the eve on the 19th anniversary of the attack — it has to end.

“It’s disgraceful,” King said.

“I don’t even care what the details of this thing is. That fund has to be fully compensated, fully reimbursed. I mean, this is absurd,” he said. “If anyone were true American heroes, it was the cops and firemen on 9/11, especially the firemen, and for even $1 to be being held back is absolutely indefensible.”

King wrote to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin over the summer asking what the problem was and for a solution. He got no response and has fired off another letter.

He also intends to confront Vice President Mike Pence on Friday, when both attend the Tunnel to Towers event marking the anniversary.

“I gotta tell him,” King said. “Forget the politics. I don’t want to sound naive, but this is terrible, absolutely inexcusable.”

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., is similarly disgusted.

“The Trump Treasury Department siphoning congressionally appropriated funds meant to pay for 9/11 workers’ health care is an outrageous finger in the eye to the firefighters, cops and other first responders who risked their lives for us,” Schumer said. “This needs to stop forthwith and payments to the workers’ health program must be made whole — and now.”

Congress created a temporary health program in 2010, with the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act. The program was extended by 75 years in December 2015, after sick and dying 9/11 workers made hundreds of trips to the Capitol pleading their cause.

“I’m not sure quite what to make of this other than it’s despicable,” said Jake Lemonda, president of the Uniformed Fire Officers Association. “We’ve fought very hard for many years for these funds to provide proper medical treatment for our sick and injured. The withholding of these funds without a legitimate explanation is inexcusable.”

Prezant said he’s been able to keep functioning because the Fire Department fronts the program the money, with the understanding that the feds will reimburse it under the 9/11 Health and Compensation Act.

The program was designed by Congress and the government to be self-sufficient. The lack of reimbursement means Prezant may have to do less to support the sick, even though the program is extremely cost-efficient, since its staff only draw city government salaries.

“The money that we don’t get means that physicians, nurses and support staff are not hired. We have not had to lay off anyone, yet, but we are at that brink,” he explained. “This just isn’t fair. It’s not fair to our patients.”

“The city has been covering some of our shortfall. But in this time of covid crisis, that cannot continue,” he said.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
The GoP: "We love our heroes and you should always respect them!"

Also the GoP: "**** them guys"
Reply/Quote
No one respects ________ more than Trump
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 10:00 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: The GoP: "We love our heroes and you should always respect them!"

Also the GoP: "**** them guys"

You do realize that one of the guys looking to get to the bottom of this is a Republican, right?

Also, it says the siphoning started in 2016. The head of the Treasury Department at the time was an Obama appointee. Steve Mnuchin, Trump's appointee, started in February of 2017. So, maybe, just maybe there's more to this than "Trump/GOP bad".

Leave it to Democrats and liberals to not care about the facts as long as it makes Trump look bad.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 11:05 AM)PhilHos Wrote: You do realize that one of the guys looking to get to the bottom of this is a Republican, right?

Also, it says the siphoning started in 2016. The head of the Treasury Department at the time was an Obama appointee. Steve Mnuchin, Trump's appointee, started in February of 2017. So, maybe, just maybe there's more to this than "Trump/GOP bad".

Leave it to Democrats and liberals to not care about the facts as long as it makes Trump look bad.
The headline is from a conservative newspaper, take it up with them.

It didn't stop under Trump either.

In fact it accelerated.

Quote:Then it crept up to about $630,000 in 2018 and 2019. This year, Treasury has nearly tripled its extractions, diverting $1.447 million through late August, according to Prezant.

Trump is President still.  His people are responsible for allowing it to continue and for escalating it.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 11:26 AM)GMDino Wrote: The headline is from a conservative newspaper, take it up with them.

It didn't stop under Trump either.

In fact it accelerated.

Trump is President still.  His people are responsible for allowing it to continue and for escalating it.

All true. Doesn't change anything I said, either.
Reply/Quote
Swamp drained.
Reply/Quote
9/11? Wasn't that the day some people did some thing?

As to the OP: Anyone taking monies from that fund will have their day of reckoning
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 03:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 9/11? Wasn't that the day some people did some thing?

As to the OP: Anyone taking monies from that fund will have their day of reckoning

Indeed it was.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/04/rep-ilhan-omars-9-11-comments-in-context/

I'm sure you know the whole truth but where's the political games gain in that?

It was also the day Trump announced he now had the tallest building in NYC (lie) and that he saw Muslims cheering (lie).

But yeah...
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 03:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: Indeed it was.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/04/rep-ilhan-omars-9-11-comments-in-context/

I'm sure you know the whole truth but where's the political games gain in that?

It was also the day Trump announced he now had the tallest building in NYC (lie) and that he saw Muslims cheering (lie).

But yeah...

“CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties".

Thanks for the link refreshing my memory
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 11:05 AM)PhilHos Wrote: You do realize that one of the guys looking to get to the bottom of this is a Republican, right?

Trump suggested windmill noise causes cancer.

Why do Democrat’s have to be encumbered with facts and the truth when Trump clearly isn’t?
Reply/Quote

That's your defense for Trump not only not stopping the siphoning, but elevating it?

Wow. Okay.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 03:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Trump suggested windmill noise causes cancer.

Why do Democrat’s have to be encumbered with facts and the truth when Trump clearly isn’t?

Trump clearly isn't, true, but that doesn't mean the Democrats need to follow his lead and not care about the facts and truth either.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:17 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: That's your defense for Trump not only not stopping the siphoning, but elevating it?

Wow. Okay.

Who said I was defending Trump?

I'm sorry that pointing out facts is "defending Trump" but whatever, "orange man bad" right?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Who said I was defending Trump?

I'm sorry that pointing out facts is "defending Trump" but whatever, "orange man bad" right?

My comment wasn't to imply you were defending Trump; only that he didn't put a stop to it and your defense of it continuing is 'it started before him and please ignore how it got worse under him'.

I mean I'm not responsible for how you take the comment, only the content of it so I guess we can chalk this up as a misunderstanding.

Your defense of it continuing is still super weak, though.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Trump clearly isn't, true, but that doesn't mean the Democrats need to follow his lead and not care about the facts and truth either.

Trump is recording saying he always meant to downplay this pandemic. Yet, his press secretary denied he downplayed the pandemic. Multiple Trump associates, campaign officials, and cabinet members have been arrested and convicted of fraud and obstruction of justice. Trump gives pardons to those that obstruct justice to protect him. Do you think they would ever admit collusion with Russia or that Trump sexually assaulted even one of the many women who have accused him? When they will deny Trump did what Trump admitted he did? F no.

So I ask again, why should the Democrats burden themselves with telling the truth when Republicans clearly aren’t?
Reply/Quote

None of this is true. Didn’t happen.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 04:36 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: My comment wasn't to imply you were defending Trump;

No, you didn't imply anything. You OUTRIGHT STATED I was defending Trump.

(09-11-2020, 04:36 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: only that he didn't put a stop to it and your defense of it continuing is 'it started before him and please ignore how it got worse under him'.

Again, I was not defending anything other than the stupid comment that it was the GOP to blame.

(09-11-2020, 04:36 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I mean I'm not responsible for how you take the comment, only the content of it so I guess we can chalk this up as a misunderstanding.

Please tell me this is a joke. You're just emulating Trump in saying one thing and then turn around and say you didn't say that, right?

(09-11-2020, 04:36 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Your defense of it continuing is still super weak, though.

Again, not defending it. I'm not going to throw the blame around and until I know who it is to blame. If it's Trump, I'll be critical of Trump. It's called waiting for the facts.

Like I've said elsewhere, Dems don't care about the facts and you're proving my point quite nicely, so thanks for that.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 05:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Trump is recording saying he always meant to downplay this pandemic. Yet, his press secretary denied he downplayed the pandemic. Multiple Trump associates, campaign officials, and cabinet members have been arrested and convicted of fraud and obstruction of justice. Trump gives pardons to those that obstruct justice to protect him. Do you think they would ever admit collusion with Russia or that Trump sexually assaulted even one of the many women who have accused him? When they will deny Trump did what Trump admitted he did?  F no.

So I ask again, why should the Democrats burden themselves with telling the truth when Republicans clearly aren’t?

Well, at least you're admitting the Democrats don't have the moral high ground.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2020, 05:03 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: None of this is true. Didn’t happen.

Uh, yes it is.
Reply/Quote