Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump cabinet
(11-10-2016, 11:24 AM)Benton Wrote: That's almost as humorous as Fiorina as Commerce. Would we just not teach anything that happened pre-3000 BC?

You laugh, but it's my understanding he is on that list. We all know the position of the GOP on the DOE in general, so is it out there that they would not put someone in that position that would actually do what needs to be done?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-10-2016, 11:39 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: You laugh, but it's my understanding he is on that list. We all know the position of the GOP on the DOE in general, so is it out there that they would not put someone in that position that would actually do what needs to be done?

Oh, I fully expect them to continue the move to increased charter schools. And Carson makes a good choice as 1- he's educated and 2- he's black, so that gives them a chance to say 'look, charter schools don't encourage race based segregation, a black guy did it.' And I expect them to continue trying to chip away at Title 1, so we'll have more low income students with even fewer resources.

I just find it laughable that a guy who thinks the world is only several thousand years old is going to be the figure in charge of educationg anyone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Please no Chris Christie, and I don't have any names, but wouldn't be surprised to see a Dem or two.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-10-2016, 11:24 AM)Benton Wrote: That's almost as humorous as Fiorina as Commerce. Would we just not teach anything that happened pre-3000 BC?

carson can teach kids that the pyramids were used to store grain....
People suck
http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37931552

Some interesting thoughts here.  Really don't like Gingrich as SoS but I have heard even vehement opponents of him praise him for his intellect.
(11-09-2016, 06:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I thought it would be interesting for us to speculate and bandy about ideas as to who will be in Trump's cabinet and in what positions.  I've heard Giuliani mentioned as Attorney General, which strikes me as a solid, and likely move.  Any other thoughts?

I always assumed Christie for AG, but I see Rudy is licking his chops at the idea of it now. Christie gets something for selling his soul and being Trump's McDonalds fetcher, but what...?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Ben Carson will want a job (HHS or Surgeon General), but I don't think Trump truly respects him.

I imagine a huge homeschooling or school choice advocate will be Sec of Education IF he keeps that department.

Either way, I hope they explain to him that he can't get rid of common core.

(11-10-2016, 06:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I imagine a huge homeschooling or school choice advocate will be Sec of Education IF he keeps that department.

Either way, I hope they explain to him that he can't get rid of common core.

Interestingly,Trump has vowed to end common core in his First 100 day action plan (or whatever he called it). 

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501451368/here-is-what-donald-trump-wants-to-do-in-his-first-100-days

Quote:
  1. School Choice And Education Opportunity Act. Redirects education dollars to give parents the right to send their kid to the public, private, charter, magnet, religious or home school of their choice. Ends common core, brings education supervision to local communities. It expands vocational and technical education, and make 2 and 4-year college more affordable.

I don't know if you wil get your wish.
(11-10-2016, 06:42 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Interestingly,Trump has vowed to end common core in his First 100 day action plan (or whatever he called it). 

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501451368/here-is-what-donald-trump-wants-to-do-in-his-first-100-days

I don't know if you wil get your wish.

I don't want it to end, but yea, the fact that he wants to in 100 days is why I mentioned it. He doesn't have the constitutional authority. He can end federal incentives for implementing it, but he cannot end it. Individual states make the choice to have it. 

(11-10-2016, 06:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I always assumed Christie for AG, but I see Rudy is licking his chops at the idea of it now. Christie gets something for selling his soul and being Trump's McDonalds fetcher, but what...?

I just don't see Christie getting through the nomination process as I stated in the OP.  The BBC article I linked above mentions this as well.  Giuliani is actually a good choice though.  Also in regards to the BBC article, it's hard not to notice that everyone being discussed was a white man.
(11-10-2016, 04:28 PM)Griever Wrote: carson can teach kids that the pyramids were used to store grain....

Now Griever, I have been inside Khufu and I can assure there is a chamber in which you could store almost a truckload of grain.  I can't imagine rats chewing through 60 yards of stone, so it would be well worth it to spend 40 years building the ultimate storehouse.  Carson is a step ahead of all. Cool

(11-10-2016, 07:15 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I just don't see Christie getting through the nomination process as I stated in the OP.  The BBC article I linked above mentions this as well.  Giuliani is actually a good choice though.  Also in regards to the BBC article, it's hard not to notice that everyone being discussed was a white man.

The more womanizing authoritarians in charge of our country, the better! 

Christie might be able to serve in some lesser capacity.
(11-10-2016, 05:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37931552

Some interesting thoughts here.  Really don't like Gingrich as SoS but I have heard even vehement opponents of him praise him for his intellect.

He is a conservative with a Ph.D. in history. Unlike many other conservatives, he appears to see his own career in larger, historical terms--how future generations will look back and judge him. And he knows some US history. But like many other conservatives, he has no empathy for minorities or the working poor.

I wouldn't "praise" him for his intellect, since he has so misused it in his career of opportunism. But that intellect will make him an interesting choice for Secretary of State. He will have a much better sense of the consequences of Trump's foreign policy choices. That could lead to conflict with Trump, or Gingrich rationalizing crazy policy choices to keep his job, perhaps even knowing it will make him look bad in the future.

But I also think, better than other people around Trump, he recognizes that Trump is not a person you reason with. You agree with him constantly and get him to change his mind or see the light by planting ideas in his head and acting as if Trump himself came up with them.
(11-10-2016, 07:36 PM)Dill Wrote: He  a conservative with a Ph.D. in history. Unlike many other conservatives, he appears to see his own career in larger, historical terms--how future generations will look back and judge him. And he knows some US history. But like many other conservatives, he has no empathy for minorities or the working poor.

I wouldn't "praise" him for his intellect, since he has so misused it in his career of opportunism. But that intellect will make him an interesting choice for Secretary of State. He will have a much better sense of the consequences of Trump's foreign policy choices. That could lead to conflict with Trump, or Gingrich rationalizing crazy policy choices to keep his job, perhaps even knowing it will make him look bad in the future.

But I also think, better than other people around Trump, he recognizes that Trump is not a person you reason with. You agree with him constantly and get him to change his mind or see the light by planting ideas in his head and acting as if Trump himself came up with them.

Newt certainly is equipped for the job. He also isn't afraid to criticize Trump or call him out. Trump may be able to put his ego aside and see that for its worth. For all that I disagree with him for ideologically, Newt is an intelligent man.

(11-10-2016, 07:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Newt certainly is equipped for the job. He also isn't afraid to criticize Trump or call him out. Trump may be able to put his ego aside and see that for its worth. For all that I disagree with him for ideologically, Newt is an intelligent man.

As was Goebbels.

And if Gingrich does criticize Trump, I don't think he will last long. If he does stand up to him, I don't think it will be publicly, while he is in office. If Trump is SofS and then gets fired or "resigns", he may criticize Trump once out of office.
(11-10-2016, 08:52 PM)Dill Wrote: As was Goebbels.

And if Gingrich does criticize Trump, I don't think he will last long. If he does stand up to him, I don't think it will be publicly, while he is in office. If Trump is SofS and then gets fired or "resigns", he may criticize Trump once out of office.

Not necessarily publicly, but personally.

I'm going to be open minded and hope the weight of the office affects Trump and makes him capable of taking constructive criticism and surrounding himself with those who won't just be "yes men". Gingrich doesn't strike me as a "Yes man". 

(11-10-2016, 09:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not necessarily publicly, but personally.

I'm going to be open minded and hope the weight of the office affects Trump and makes him capable of taking constructive criticism and surrounding himself with those who won't just be "yes men". Gingrich doesn't strike me as a "Yes man". 

Well, Gingrich strikes me as someone who will swallow a lot of pride to go down in history as a secretary of state. But
I agree that, temperamentally, he is not a yes man.   We just don't know what will happen, should he be appointed to S S. He may Kow tow to Trump, or he may bail if he sees looming policy disaster and finds Trump obstinate.

I can't share your optimism about Trump, based upon his campaign behavior. His handlers corralled him the final week of the campaign, but they can't do it for four years. 

In fact, I predict the pressure and complexity of the office will affect Trump negatively. He does not have Clinton's ability to see long-term consequences and finesse policy differences. He doesn't have the "temperament," meaning in part that he cannot think clearly under pressure. When he finds out government doesn't work as he suspected, he will perceive "enemies" in his own party and elsewhere, especially the press--whom he always blamed when his polls dipped.
(11-10-2016, 09:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Not necessarily publicly, but personally.

I did not see the video, just heard the audio on NPR today, but Trump speaking after meeting with Obama sounded like a man who just realized what he got himself into.  Just my opinion based on his voice.

Maybe this is big enough to humble him a little bit.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-09-2016, 09:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Carly Fiorina- Secretary of Commerce

With a face like that?? Come on!

I am thinking Victoria's Secret model, Romee Strijd, though she may be over 25 now.