Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump continues to back aluminum and steel tariffs despite Republican fears
I know some will be shocked...but apparently Trump is wrong about multiple things and his ideas are bad.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/03/05/trump-sends-mixed-signals-steel-tariffs-canada-mexico-and-nafta/394344002/

Quote: President Trump said Monday he is moving ahead with tariffs on imported aluminum and steel despite calls from House Speaker Paul Ryan to avoid creating what Ryan called an unnecessary trade war.

“We are extremely worried about the consequences of a trade war and are urging the White House to not advance with this plan," said AshLee Strong, Ryan's spokeswoman. "The new tax reform law has boosted the economy and we certainly don't want to jeopardize those gains.”

"We're not backing down" on tariffs, Trump said in remarks before a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. "We had a very bad deal with Mexico, we had a very bad deal with NAFTA," the North American Free Trade Agreement with Mexico and Canada.

Trump started his week with tweets that said he may end the tariffs on Mexico and Canada in exchange for better terms in the talks to renew NAFTA.

Trump did not provide many details in a pair of tweets, except to say that Canada "must treat our farmers much better," while Mexico "must do much more on stopping drugs from pouring into" the United States.

"NAFTA, which is under renegotiation right now, has been a bad deal for U.S.A.,"  Trump tweeted. "Massive relocation of companies & jobs. Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will only come off if new & fair NAFTA agreement is signed."
Quote:[/url][Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

We have large trade deficits with Mexico and Canada. NAFTA, which is under renegotiation right now, has been a bad deal for U.S.A. Massive relocation of companies & jobs. Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will only come off if new & fair NAFTA agreement is signed. Also, Canada must..
6:47 AM - Mar 5, 2018

Quote:[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

...treat our farmers much better. Highly restrictive. Mexico must do much more on stopping drugs from pouring into the U.S. They have not done what needs to be done. Millions of people addicted and dying.
6:53 AM - Mar 5, 2018
Contrary to Trump's claims, the United States has a trade surplus with Canada.

Canada is also the top exporter of steel and aluminum to the United States, and the biggest importer of American steel and aluminum.
Trump's tweets kicked off a week in which he plans to sign new tariffs of 25% on steel imports and 10% on aluminum imports, a move that has drawn criticism from economists who say it will spark a trade war and higher prices for consumers worldwide.

While the tariffs are targeted more at China, other countries may be affected. Officials in Canada, Mexico, and other nations have attacked Trump's plan, and some say they may authorize counter-tariffs targeting American products from bourbon to blue jeans.

Aides said there are no plans for exemptions, but that Trump could always decide otherwise.

"He has made a decision at this point, 25 and 10," said Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, speaking Sunday on NBC's Meet The Press. "If he for some reason should change his mind, then it'll change."

The president also left his plans unclear, tweeting later in the day: "To protect our Country we must protect American Steel! #AMERICA FIRST."
Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump][Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

To protect our Country we must protect American Steel! #AMERICA FIRST
7:57 AM - Mar 5, 2018

Trump made trade a major focus of his 2016 presidential campaign, claiming other countries were taking advantage of the United States.

He pledged to place tariffs on foreign products and threatened to end the North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico unless they signed off on changes to NAFTA, the subjects of ongoing negotiations.

Many Republican allies of Trump oppose the tariff plan. In addition to concern about higher prices, they said American jobs could be lost in industries that rely on steel and aluminum.

"For every steel worker job that might be saved because of a tariff, our country will lose even more American jobs in auto plants, construction, and so many other industries," said David McIntosh, president of the anti-regulation Club for Growth.

Citing political as well as economic impacts, McIntosh said that "tariffs will also harm the pro-growth effects of the tax cuts, stall the economy, incite a trade war, and help hand the (2018 congressional) election to the Democrats."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Martha Stewart has some advice for some of his friends.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Not sure if should be in memes thread but whatever:

He is going to use massive tariff taxes to pay for the tax cuts he gave the wealthy and corporations.
Not a tariff guy at all. But he did say he would do this on The campaign trail and is following though. Certainly have to credit him for that no matter where you stand on this issue.

Democrats should be happy. This is exactly what theyir boy Bernie wanted to do.
The Repubs had no business cutting taxes for anybody, as much debt as we're in.
(03-05-2018, 05:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not a tariff guy at all.   But he did say he would do this on The campaign trail and is following though.  Certainly have to credit him for that no matter where you stand on this issue.  

Democrats should be happy.   This is exactly what theyir boy Bernie wanted to do.

Pretty much sums up a Trump supporter:

"I don't care if its a bad idea, a stupid idea or a destructive idea to the US...as long as Trump said it I'm behind it!"

Cool
(03-05-2018, 05:47 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: The Repubs had no business cutting taxes for anybody, as much debt as we're in.

But But But the stock market had only been on a record growth spurt for a few years and corporate profits had only been a record levels for a few years also.

This economy desperately needed some some huge doses of deficit spending by the government to get us out of that rut.
(03-05-2018, 05:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: Pretty much sums up a Trump supporter:

"I don't care if its a bad idea, a stupid idea or a destructive idea to the US...as long as Trump said it I'm behind it!"

Cool

Where did I say I was behind tariffs? I literally started my post against it.

You can be against tariffs but respect the fact he is keeping a campaign promise. Both can be true at the same time.
(03-05-2018, 07:14 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Where did I say I was behind tariffs?   I literally started my post against it.  

You can be against tariffs but respect the fact he is keeping a campaign promise.   Both can be true at the same time.

Actually no, you can't.

If you are against tariffs then you should be against he doing it.  Promise or not.  You should be saying this is wrong and was wrong when he campaigned on it.

I'm sure you respected Obama for the ACA...right?  I mean he campaigned on it.   Mellow

Well, unless you flipfop just to support Trump.
(03-05-2018, 07:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: Actually no, you can't.

If you are against tariffs then you should be against he doing it.  Promise or not.  You should be saying this is wrong and was wrong when he campaigned on it.

I'm sure you respected Obama for the ACA...right?  I mean he campaigned on it.   Mellow

Well, unless you flipfop just to support Trump.

Didn’t Obama’s campaign on Single payer?

I know he campaigned on being anti gay marriage.
(03-05-2018, 07:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Didn’t Obama’s campaign on Single payer?  

I know he campaigned on being anti gay marriage.

Did you respect him for the ACA?

Did you vote for him because he was "anti gay marriage"?
(03-05-2018, 07:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: Did you respect him for the ACA?

Did you vote for him because he was "anti gay marriage"?

This makes no sense. Try again.
(03-05-2018, 08:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This makes no sense.   Try again.

You disagree with Trump but "respect him" for keeping a campaign promise you disagree with.

Did you respect Obama for the ACA?

Wait:

Вы паважаеце Абама за кошт аховы здароўя?
Trump isn't exactly batting 1000 when it comes to matters of integrity, so why respect him for following through on something you don't like?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-05-2018, 08:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: You disagree with Trump but "respect him" for keeping a campaign promise you disagree with.

Did you respect Obama for the ACA?

Wait:

Вы паважаеце Абама за кошт аховы здароўя?

Нет.

Your tense is off btw.

Yes. It’s possible to disagree and respect the fact he does what he says.

Your Obama’s comparison is a joke. He didn’t do what he ran on.
(03-05-2018, 10:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Нет.

Your tense is off btw.  

Yes.   It’s possible to disagree and respect the fact he does what he says.  

Your Obama’s comparison is a joke.   He didn’t do what he ran on.

Nope.

I don't respect someone who does something bad just because they said they would do it.

Guy: "I'm gonna rob your house."
Me: "I don't think that's a good idea."

Guy robs my house.

Me: "Well I still disagree that he should have robbed me but I have to respect him for doing what he said he would."

Hilarious
(03-06-2018, 12:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: Nope.

I don't respect someone who does something bad just because they said they would do it.

Guy: "I'm gonna rob your house."
Me: "I don't think that's a good idea."

Guy robs my house.

Me: "Well I still disagree that he should have robbed me but I have to respect him for doing what he said he would."

Hilarious

Then where were you when Obama created an Iranian strongman in the Middle East?

Oh that’s right you only bash trump. The difference between us is that I can slam trump for dumb things and still credit him for his consistency of staying true to his campaign promises
(03-06-2018, 01:08 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Then where were you when Obama created an Iranian strongman in the Middle East?  

Oh that’s right you only bash trump.   The difference between us is that I can slam trump for dumb things and still credit him for his consistency of staying true to his campaign promises

This isn't about me and Iran...it's about you claiming you are against the tariffs but that you respect him for doing something you don't like and think is wrong.

The difference is you can't admit you are wrong.

Carry on.
(03-06-2018, 01:08 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Then where were you when Obama created an Iranian strongman in the Middle East?  

Oh that’s right you only bash trump.   The difference between us is that I can slam trump for dumb things and still credit him for his consistency of staying true to his campaign promises

why cant you defend trump without delving into whataboutisms?

if you cant defend trump without deflecting onto obama, that should tell you something
People suck