Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump on Eminent Domain
http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/10/06/trump-eminent-domain-even-for-private-projects-is-wonderful-thing-youre-not-taking-property/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

You see that right, I'm posting a link from Breitbart. LOL

A conservative political blogger I am friends with posted this link on Facebook and I thought that this would be an interesting one to bring up here for the boards.

Quote:Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump argued that eminent domain, including for private projects that “employ thousands of people” is “a wonderful thing” in an interview broadcast on Tuesday’s “Special Report” on the Fox News Channel.

Trump stated, “I think eminent domain is wonderful, if you’re building a highway, and you need to build, as an example, a highway, and you’re going to be blocked by a hold-out, or, in some cases, it’s a hold-out, just so you understand, nobody knows this better than I do, because I built a lot of buildings in Manhattan, and you’ll have 12 sites and you’ll get 11 and you’ll have the one hold-out and you end up building around them and everything else, okay? So, I know it better than anybody. I think eminent domain for massive projects, for instance, you’re going to create thousands of jobs, and you have somebody that’s in the way, and you pay that person far more — don’t forget, eminent domain, they get a lot of money, and you need a house in a certain location, because you’re going to build this massive development that’s going to employ thousands of people, or you’re going to build a factory, that without this little house, you can’t build the factory. I think eminent domain is fine.”

Trump was then asked for his past support for the Supreme Court’s ruling on eminent domain in Kelo v. New London, he stated, “Eminent domain — number one, a person has a house, and they end up getting much more than the house is ever worth. You know, eminent domain is not like you — they take your house.”

Will this create a problem for Trump? Anyone on the liberty minded side of things would take issue with the violation of personal property rights this brings up under that ideology. I'm just not sure if this will be the death knell some think it will be for him. They continue to view him as non-establishment when he is a part of it, so I don't have much hope for the enlightenment this should bring to some voters.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Except instead of factories or highways, his experience with eminent domain has more to do with golf courses.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-07-2015, 01:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/10/06/trump-eminent-domain-even-for-private-projects-is-wonderful-thing-youre-not-taking-property/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

You see that right, I'm posting a link from Breitbart. LOL

A conservative political blogger I am friends with posted this link on Facebook and I thought that this would be an interesting one to bring up here for the boards.

Will this create a problem for Trump? Anyone on the liberty minded side of things would take issue with the violation of personal property rights this brings up under that ideology. I'm just not sure if this will be the death knell some think it will be for him. They continue to view him as non-establishment when he is a part of it, so I don't have much hope for the enlightenment this should bring to some voters.

I don't think it's an issue most people even need to consider.  I agree that it won't be Trumps death knell, and like you, I'm still amazed at his popularity.  Dudes an asshole.  There's not one thing I like about the guy.
He's right, but it's an area of potential abuse. Just as the govt can seize/do things in the name of national security, but it's rarely used. In either case, what usually happens is the govt pays well above market value.

So not to minimize being forced out of your home, but getting above market is something different than stealing.
(10-07-2015, 03:18 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: He's right, but it's an area of potential abuse. Just as the govt can seize/do things in the name of national security, but it's rarely used. In either case, what usually happens is the govt pays well above market value.

So not to minimize being forced out of your home, but getting above market is something different than stealing.

I know he is right, you know he's right, and many people know he is right. The thing is that the people that have been jumping on the Trump bandwagon are those that tend to not think highly of eminent domain. The use of it is contrary to their typically espoused political leanings. Much like the "establishment" politicians being those they are against.

It's very interesting to me to watch the GOP this election cycle because of these sorts of things. The DNC isn't doing much of anything because they really don't have anything exciting going on. Bernie isn't going to do anything, as much as his supporters are hoping and wishing for it and Hillary is, well, Hillary. The DNC isn't as much of a spectacle for me this time around. So I have to resort to the Donald Trump show over on the GOP side of things.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-07-2015, 03:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's very interesting to me to watch the GOP this election cycle because of these sorts of things.

True.  Trump is actually left of the hated RINO's.  But he APPEARS to be to the right on immigration and the Middle East.  While I can respect the honesty that issues are fluid and he'll change his mind based on new facts....he's basically telling his "base" that he reserves the right to flip-fliop.  And while I think the whole "flip-flop" criticism of candidates is ridiculous, the people who support Trump wouldn't tolerate that.