Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tucker Carlson GONE from Fox
(04-24-2023, 04:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Fox News may be as SOL in regards to Trump as the rest of the "we're just in it for the money, we don't believe it" GOP folks.  Trump isn't going to care that Fox News lost over half a billion bucks kissing his ass and lying for him.  He's going to rip into them for refusing to tell the "truth" or "fight for him."  You can never win with narcissists, you'll throw everything you have into a black hole and once your lose your last dollar, your last friend, or your last drop of blood and expire they'll just say "You never helped me at all."

I get that Fox can't just keep paying these things out, but until the MAGA wing of the GOP fizzles out I don't see how any network that wants to keep the MAGA base happy and watching will be able to NOT say whatever insane thing Trump says is true.

Newsmax' Greg Kelly is interviewing Trump tonight at 10 pm. 

They have devoted the entire day to casting Fox as "mainstream" and "Bush Rino" and "Leftist," while praising the integrity of Tucker, who calls them as he sees them and won't kow tow to the corporate bosses. 

They have been discussing the Dominion settlement since the news broke, but I have not heard a single person mention or explain why Fox had to settle in the first place FOR LYING ABOUT DOMINION TO PROMOTE THE LIE THAT THE ELECTION WAS STOLEN --WHILE KNOWING IT WAS A LIE--especially Carlson. 

People who go back and forth between the MSM and RWM can easily spot the black hole at the center of discussion, hour after hour, but I don't think those immersed in that environment see that hole at all. They just see brave Tucker, never afraid to TELL THE TRUTH, and that's what corporate deep staters really fear--FREE SPEECH . . . THAT'S what this is really about! But the government will go after anyone who contests their "narrative." Real journalism is dead because of the government; Murdoch gave the game away with his deposition, making Fox now the "Mitt Romney" of news organizations; it has "bent the knee" to the "militant left" etc.  Major news companies who tolerate people who kneel for the national anthem will be getting rid of their "truth speakers" who "find stories no one else had." Sebastion Gorka pronounces Fox News "dead" as Alan Dershowitz demands "the rest of the 1/6 footage" now that Tucker has blown the lid off the msm narrative there was an insurrection. (LOL those beating and bear spraying police and the hundreds chanting "hang Mike Pence" as they broke class and destroyed property were actually only a small proportion of the thousands sent to disrupt the certification of legitimate votes!) 

Scarier than Fox, at least until they too get sued for lying (i.e., by "government censorship"), but we could see a mass movement of MAGA viewers to this site in the coming weeks, following the Trump interivew. You are right about the fool's errand of satisfying a malignant narcissist. Newmax may be about to discover that, though not until the honeymoon is over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 07:46 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: That picture of him in his brand new white boots is out there for all too see. Not enough $.

He's trying to get the metrosexual vote.  Remember when that was a thing?  Metrosexuals?
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 08:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He's trying to get the metrosexual vote.  Remember when that was a thing?  Metrosexuals?

Crossroads church appropriated them.
Reply/Quote
Awwww, poor Cucker Tarlson. Now he's going to have to take that confused 'dog trying to figure out a magic trick' look on his face strictly to the internet. Newsmax and OAN won't be able to afford him.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Imagine watching that dude every night and totally buying in. There is a big audience in the market looking for their outrage fix. Lucky for them the outraged conservative is a popular shtick so there are plenty of other outlets to find that hate fuel.
Reply/Quote
interesting that Blackrock now owns 15% of fox
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 07:37 PM)Dill Wrote: Lemon was boring, but what did he do that was "worse" than Tucker? 

I've always considered Tucker a comedic opinion, not to be taken seriously, but to fire up the masses. Kind of like a twisted, mentally ill Paul Harvey and that's a poor comparison since I enjoyed Paul Harvey a lot in his day.  As for Don Lemon, he an asshole and treats people like shit. He thinks his opinion is the only one and he's not above playing the race card on a whim. TBH, there's probably not much difference between the two. Their goal was to get people emotional. Only difference to me is I dislike Tucker and despise Don Lemon. 

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 01:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I've always considered Tucker a comedic opinion, not to be taken seriously, but to fire up the masses.

It is fitting a country as fired up and misguided as ours would have a comedic troll as the most viewed news commentator.  Seriously though, have you told any conservatives you know that Tucker is not to be taken seriously and how did they take that assertion?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 02:07 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It is fitting a country as fired up and misguided as ours would have a comedic troll as the most viewed news commentator.  Seriously though, have you told any conservatives you know that Tucker is not to be taken seriously and how did they take that assertion?

Tucker would be excellent at closing out the last few minutes of 60 minutes every Sunday. LOL

I don't think people take him as seriously as you think. Maybe a few live by his words, but they don't speak for everyone else. 

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 05:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Tucker would be excellent at closing out the last few minutes of 60 minutes every Sunday. LOL

I don't think people take him as seriously as you think. Maybe a few live by his words, but they don't speak for everyone else. 

I just doubt millions of people tune in to him nightly because they enjoy a daily dose of pretend outrage. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2023, 05:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Tucker would be excellent at closing out the last few minutes of 60 minutes every Sunday. LOL

I think quite a few took him seriously.  Newsmax desparately wants him. 

You say Don Lemon was "racist" perhaps occasionally,

But Carlson was mainstreaming the fringe Replacement Theory, reaching millions. 

That in addition to spreading the election lie.  And being far "meaner" to people than Lemon.

That's far more damage than Lemon ever did.  

And I'm no Lemon fan. I hardly ever watched the guy because it just did not repay the time.
At least watching Hannity or Tucker I can see where the right wing politicians are getting their
talking points, and watching Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddox I get good news analysis.

Nothing like that ever from Lemon. We'll likely be seeing Tucker back on the air with a lesser platform.
Less likely Lemon will be back. Perhaps he'll have a podcast. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 11:37 AM)Dill Wrote: I think quite a few took him seriously.  Newsmax desparately wants him. 

That in addition to spreading the election lie.  And being far "meaner" to people than Lemon.

And I'm no Lemon fan. I hardly ever watched the guy because it just did not repay the time.
At least watching Hannity or Tucker I can see where the right wing politicians are getting their
talking points, and watching Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddox I get good news analysis.

Nothing like that ever from Lemon. We'll likely be seeing Tucker back on the air with a lesser platform.

Additionally, no one is saying that now that Don Lemon has been fired he is an instant top-tier candidate for VP or president.  It's nice that some folks who lean right can see Tucker for what he is, and is legally required to admit he is, but I don't think most right wing folks got the memo.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 11:37 AM)Dill Wrote: I think quite a few took him seriously.  Newsmax desparately wants him. 

Fox's Stock about to drop hard....  Tucker was the reason most people even tuned in
Reply/Quote

I know Lemon and Chris Cuomo are very close, so I bet he gets vetted for a spot on NewsNation.  BTW,  That's a decent news channel and they play in-between the  35-to-35 yd lines.  I like to watch Chris and then Dan Abrams
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 11:42 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Fox's Stock about to drop hard....  Tucker was the reason most people even tuned in

Fox is lying in the bed they made.  I will say it is amusing to see folks acting like a corporation that fires an employee who just cost them half a billion bucks is making a stupid move that is going to cost them money.  But I guess they're right.

Also, I'm no stock-talking guy, but would paying out a settlement to Dominion with another lawsuit with Smartmatic looming affect Fox's stock value in the not so good sense, too?  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 11:42 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Fox's Stock about to drop hard....  Tucker was the reason most people even tuned in

Supposedly it went down 5 pts. the first day, then gained 2 pts the next.

But you bring up another interesting aspect of his termination, Xeno--

Is it the personality or is it the platform?  

Fox did just fine, or even better, after dropping Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck.  

This is a bigger test case, I think. And the Fox audience has become more extreme since Beck.

The other Fox hosts have "wished Tucker well" and fallen silent about him;
it may be out of sight out of mind for many.

But Newsmax is still blabbing away practically every segment and involving their
viewers in a phone Poll: "Was Fox wrong to terminate Tucker?"* 

*Fox NEVER mentions Newsmax. Can you imagine giving your competitor so much free publicity as Newsmax is doing?
It will be interesting to see who the permanent replacement is on Fox. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 11:50 AM)Dill Wrote: Supposedly it went down 5 pts. the first day, then gained 2 pts the next.

But you bring up another interesting aspect of his termination, Xeno--

Is it the personality or is it the platform?  

Fox did just fine, or even better, after dropping Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck.  

This is a bigger test case, I think. And the Fox audience has become more extreme since Beck.

The other Fox hosts have "wished Tucker well" and fallen silent about him;
it may be out of sight out of mind for many.

But Newsmax is still blabbing away practically every segment and involving their
viewers in a phone Poll: "Was Fox wrong to terminate Tucker?" 

It will be interesting to see who the permanent replacement is on Fox. 

I thought Newsmax was the one where Mike Lindell was on there talking conspiracy stuff and the host had to talk over him with a canned sort of "legal reply to assertions the election was rigged" in order to avoid a lawsuit themselves.  If that's the case, I don't think they can afford to pay Tucker's salary, nor are they keen to pay the legal bills required to platform him.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 11:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I thought Newsmax was the one where Mike Lindell was on there talking conspiracy stuff and the host had to talk over him with a canned sort of "legal reply to assertions the election was rigged" in order to avoid a lawsuit themselves.  If that's the case, I don't think they can afford to pay Tucker's salary, nor are they keen to pay the legal bills required to platform him.

That makes sense. Great points.

But Tucker may have to take a hit in the pocketbook it he wants to keep his popularity.

Perhaps they could structure is contract NFL style, with "bonus" money for higher ratings and 
high paying advertisers.  Base salary then after that he is paid for production. 

The legal part is more tricky. I think they were less vulnerable to dominion because they added the proper
disclaimers when discussing the Big Lie and perhaps avoided being as specific as Tucker. 

Newmax is presenting the firing as a case of free speech and Tucker was fired for "speaking his mind." 

But the MSM is talking about something else entirely as possible cause--impending suits for the toxic
workplace environment he created and a trove of sexist and anti-Semitic emails. So much liability
still hanging over Fox because the "mind" speaking in this case happened to be blatantly sexist and racist.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 12:01 PM)Dill Wrote: That makes sense. Great points.

But Tucker may have to take a hit in the pocketbook it he wants to keep his popularity.

Perhaps they could structure is contract NFL style, with "bonus" money for higher ratings and 
high paying advertisers.  Base salary then after that he is paid for production. 

The legal part is more tricky. I think they were less vulnerable to dominion because they added the proper
disclaimers when discussing the Big Lie and perhaps avoided being as specific as Tucker. 

Newmax is presenting the firing as a case of free speech and Tucker was fired for "speaking his mind." 

But the MSM is talking about something else entirely as possible cause--impending suits for the toxic
workplace environment he created and a trove of sexist and anti-Semitic emails. So much liability
still hanging over Fox because the "mind" speaking in this case happened to be blatantly sexist and racist.

We shall see.  I think people expect/demand a certain amount of incendiary and slanderous content from Tucker, so I'm not sure he can dial it back and remain effective (his fans would accuse the company of censoring him, not Tucker himself). Additionally, the Fox settlement is a bit of a "first blood" sort of thing.  At this point Tucker's red flags and risks to a company are known and repeat-offenders have a harder time dodging legal repercussions.

Fox getting Tucker and it costing them, that's bad for them, but another company hiring him after that...well, that's getting risky.  I don't know how much Tucker brings in per year, but we do know he's a big part of one massive settlement bill.

But as you said, Newsmax or any other place saying Tucker was fired for "speaking his mind" is just opening the door to their own company being sued or lambasted by Tucker fans for "not letting him speak his mind" when they try to avoid a lawsuit of their own.  His audience is going to demand more and more slanderous stuff, and if they tell him to not say it, well...they'll be violating his 1A right and they'll become enemy #1.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 12:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We shall see.  I think people expect/demand a certain amount of incendiary and slanderous content from Tucker, so I'm not sure he can dial it back and remain effective (his fans would accuse the company of censoring him, not Tucker himself). Additionally, the Fox settlement is a bit of a "first blood" sort of thing.  At this point Tucker's red flags and risks to a company are known and repeat-offenders have a harder time dodging legal repercussions.

Fox getting Tucker and it costing them, that's bad for them, but another company hiring him after that...well, that's getting risky.  I don't know how much Tucker brings in per year, but we do know he's a big part of one massive settlement bill.

But as you said, Newsmax or any other place saying Tucker was fired for "speaking his mind" is just opening the door to their own company being sued or lambasted by Tucker fans for "not letting him speak his mind" when they try to avoid a lawsuit of their own.  His audience is going to demand more and more slanderous stuff, and if they tell him to not say it, well...they'll be violating his 1A right and they'll become enemy #1.

A lot of the libel liability can be finessed by, e.g., not mentioning a company's name. Or placing a disclaimer somewhere about "entertainment" or Tucker's views not the network's, etc. 

Just a few additions like that would make it EXTREMELY hard to prove intentional malice, the bar such suits would have to meet for a news organization.

The other side of the coin are the work environment suits, Tucker's mistreatment of employees, especially of the female variety. One might get around that with NDA's and selecting the employees who are actually down with sexism and anti-semitism.  Some chicks dig REAL men, probably more of those at Newsmax than even Fox.
Reply/Quote