Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tucker Carlson: Omar 'living proof' US immigration laws are 'dangerous'
(07-11-2019, 01:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I suppose you could suggest the fault lies in the implication or the inference.

Or perhaps with the ideology of the person making it. 

That person might be making faulty inferences, but the serious problem would be the values underlying and distorting those inferences.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-11-2019, 02:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I suppose you could suggest that.

Are you suggesting that?

That's what I'm reading in this thread.

My inference is Carlson is disappointed with Immigrants cursing the very freedoms the country provides and his example cited happens to be of color.

It seems others are inferring that because the person is black Carlson's thoughts on assimilation are racist.

Perhaps I am misreading other's do you care to share yours?

I disagree with Carlson's assertion that immigrants "must" assimilate. They simply must follow our laws and in some cases traditions. What traditions is where the rub comes and that's something that time could be much better used discussing than simply crying RACIST!!

There's a movie out Call "Best of Enemies" some of you should give it a look-see.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-11-2019, 04:19 PM)Dill Wrote: Or perhaps with the ideology of the person making it. 

That person might be making faulty inferences, but the serious problem would be the values underlying and distorting those inferences.

How did you determine the ideology of the person making it? Was it through inference?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-11-2019, 05:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How did you determine the ideology of the person making it? Was it through inference?

Of course. But observation first.
(07-11-2019, 05:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That's what I'm reading in this thread.

My inference is Carlson is disappointed with Immigrants cursing the very freedoms the country provides and his example cited happens to be of color.

It seems others are inferring that because the person is black Carlson's thoughts on assimilation are racist.

I disagree with Carlson's assertion that immigrants "must" assimilate. They simply must follow our laws and in some cases traditions. What traditions is where the rub comes and that's something that time could be much better used discussing than simply crying RACIST!!

There's a movie out Call "Best of Enemies" some of you should give it a look-see.

The problem is immigrants aren't the only ones who feel the way Omar feels. There are US Born citizens who feel the same way. But he is singling her out because she's an immigrant. This is not a case of "we're letting in immigrants that hate us." It's a case of "There are millions of people in this country that are unhappy with the way things are going in America, both immigrant and US born citizen."

So, in the best case scenario, Tucker is calling her out for having an opinion he doesn't like (having differing opinions is completely legal, for the record) and deriving that it's because she's an immigrant and that this is proof that there's "a problem," of which he does not specify, but simple context clues indicate it's a problem with who is allowed into the country via immigration.

And the person who he's using as a model for what's wrong with immigration just happens to be a black woman from an African country who is Muslim. 

Again, following the best case scenario, he is accidentally implying that black and/or Muslim immigrants hold beliefs that are "antithetical to ours" and, presumably, should not be allowed in for those reasons (although he does not explicitly say this, which gives him that plausible deniability we've been talking about.)

We already know that there is a significant anti-Muslim sentiment among some people who vote Republican. We also already know that there is a significant anti-black sentiment among some people who vote Republican.

So, in this theoretical best case scenario, Tucker is sounding off horns in those particular people's heads completely by accident.

In total, we have intentional anti-immigrant sentiments and "accidental" anti-Muslim and anti-black sentiments in this quote. He's accidentally calling out to racists and islamaphobes and he is intentionally calling out to anti-immigration people (although being against immigration is not inherently bad, the subtext/nationalism is often troubling). On a national news network.

That's damaging to our society. 

And you are giving him the full benefit of the doubt that this is accidental despite the fact that he does things similar to this on a somewhat regular basis. Despite people consistently pointing out these things to him, he has not altered his means of delivering these sentiments.

So at what point does accidental racism combined with explanations about why what he's doing is racist and his subsequent refusal to reform or learn from his mistakes equal intentional racism in your mind?

Best of Enemies sounds like an interesting story. I'll keep my eye on it.
(07-11-2019, 07:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The problem is immigrants aren't the only ones who feel the way Omar feels. There are US Born citizens who feel the same way. But he is singling her out because she's an immigrant. This is not a case of "we're letting in immigrants that hate us." It's a case of "There are millions of people in this country that are unhappy with the way things are going in America, both immigrant and US born citizen."

So, in the best case scenario, Tucker is calling her out for having an opinion he doesn't like (having differing opinions is completely legal, for the record) and deriving that it's because she's an immigrant and that this is proof that there's "a problem," of which he does not specify, but simple context clues indicate it's a problem with who is allowed into the country via immigration.

And the person who he's using as a model for what's wrong with immigration just happens to be a black woman from an African country who is Muslim. 

Again, following the best case scenario, he is accidentally implying that black and/or Muslim immigrants hold beliefs that are "antithetical to ours" and, presumably, should not be allowed in for those reasons (although he does not explicitly say this, which gives him that plausible deniability we've been talking about.)

We already know that there is a significant anti-Muslim sentiment among some people who vote Republican. We also already know that there is a significant anti-black sentiment among some people who vote Republican.

So, in this theoretical best case scenario, Tucker is sounding off horns in those particular people's heads completely by accident.

In total, we have intentional anti-immigrant sentiments and "accidental" anti-Muslim and anti-black sentiments in this quote. He's accidentally calling out to racists and islamaphobes and he is intentionally calling out to anti-immigration people (although being against immigration is not inherently bad, the subtext/nationalism is often troubling). On a national news network.

That's damaging to our society. 

And you are giving him the full benefit of the doubt that this is accidental despite the fact that he does things similar to this on a somewhat regular basis. Despite people consistently pointing out these things to him, he has not altered his means of delivering these sentiments.

So at what point does accidental racism combined with explanations about why what he's doing is racist and his subsequent refusal to reform or learn from his mistakes equal intentional racism in your mind?

Well said. Rep.
(07-11-2019, 05:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That's what I'm reading in this thread.

My inference is Carlson is disappointed with Immigrants cursing the very freedoms the country provides a
nd his example cited happens to be of color.

Faulty inference here.  There is no evidence Omar is "cursing freedoms," since she seems to be holding the US to claims made in the Declaration of Independence. She is rather exemplifying those freedoms.

One could infer that Carlson is cursing those guaranteed freedoms though, since his demand is not for political diversity of thought, but of conformity to a standard not generally held to represent the US--even by most conservatives.

Whether our time is better used discussing racism or not depends on whether or not racism is implied in and encouraged by Carlson's nativism. For the record, I think Carlson's motivation is broader than race, and extends to people of whatever stripe who don't think like us or "share our values."  Throw feminists in there too (not saying he wants to ban women immigrants, though).

As I said above, the audience is left to fill in the blank. "Accidental" associations with whatever out groups are welcome, if they keep you angry at the right targets.  
This is precisely why Tucker's rhetoric is harmful.

He tricks people like the President into thinking people of color = immigrants.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-tells-progressive-congresswomen-to-go-back-to-their-countries-aoc-ilhan-omar-2019-7
"I'm not racist!  You're racist for saying I'm racist!!!11!111!!"  Smirk

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

For those still trying to sell us it's all about illegal immigrants....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/us/politics/trump-immigration-policy.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

You guys were conned (again).

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
So many Omar threads to pick but I'll leave this one here:

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/ilhan-omar-accuses-trump-of-putting-her-life-in-danger-after-he-retweets-false-claim-she-partied-on-9-11/

Quote:Ilhan Omar (D-MN) has accused President Donald Trump of endangering her life by amplifying a false, now-deleted tweet claiming that the congresswoman was out dancing on the anniversary of 9/11.

On Wednesday, Trump retweeted two tweets from Terrence K. Williams, a right-wing Twitter personality who the president previously promoted for advancing conspiracy theories about the Clinton family and Jeffrey Epstein. One of the tweets Trump retweeted today claimed that Omar “partied on the anniversary of 9/11.”
Quote:[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]
[/url]Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

IIhan Omar, a member of AOC Plus 3, will win us the Great State of Minnesota. The new face of the Democrat Party! https://twitter.com/w_terrence/status/1173743104098209792 …

8:14 AM - Sep 18, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

That tweet has been deleted, but here’s what it looked like.
[Image: Screen-Shot-2019-09-18-at-11.35.22-AM.jpg]

Contrary to Williams’ claims about the Omar video, she was not dancing on September 11. Instead, that video was recorded on September 13, when Omar joined the Congressional Black Caucus for their annual legislative conference
Quote:[Image: 92ced2fd5abd8f1efcf37be5428f10ff_normal.png]
Adam Green

@AdamGreen

Can someone name something better than @IlhanMN dancing to @lizzo? Because I can’t think of anything. #CBC2019 #CBCWeek #cbcweekend

[Image: wL5XHZk_KOr1SsZY?format=jpg&name=small]

9:28 PM - Sep 13, 2019

Omar has noticed Trump’s tweet, and she’s slamming him for “continuing to spread lies that put my life at risk.”
Quote:[Image: 6xDfGUfx_normal.jpg]
Ilhan Omar

@IlhanMN

This is from a CBC event we hosted this weekend to celebrate black women in Congress.

The President of the United States is continuing to spread lies that put my life at risk.

What is Twitter doing to combat this misinformation? https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1174295718388854784 …
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

IIhan Omar, a member of AOC Plus 3, will win us the Great State of Minnesota. The new face of the Democrat Party! https://twitter.com/w_terrence/status/1173743104098209792 …

[url=https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1174327692415705088]38.7K
10:21 AM - Sep 18, 2019

Probably just ignorance on DJT's part.  Some of those people around him that are supposed to keep him from doing stupid things really should speak up more.   Mellow
(07-11-2019, 05:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My inference is Carlson is disappointed with Immigrants cursing the very freedoms the country provides and his example cited happens to be of color.

Which "freedom" did Omar curse and why is it a problem for the United States.
(07-11-2019, 05:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  They simply must follow our laws and in some cases traditions. What traditions is where the rub comes and that's something that time could be much better used discussing than simply crying RACIST!!

You are 100% correct.  We should leave racism out of this conversation.

So which specific traditions should immigrants be forced to follow?
I dunno...this sounds more dangerous.

(11-26-2019, 01:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: I dunno...this sounds more dangerous.

Comrade Carlson has finally flown his red flag.
(11-26-2019, 09:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Comrade Carlson has finally flown his red flag.

Well he said he was "only joking" so I guess we have to believe him.

The gop treats citizens like battered spouses.

He promised he wouldn't hit us again. After all it was OUR fault he hit us anyway.  Whatever
Carlson admitting he is rooting for Russia (only to backtrack when the backlash hit social media in the middle of his show) exposes what we already know about Trump supporters and defenders.

They hate America and our Allies and are nothing more than Pro Russian, Anti American trolls.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(07-10-2019, 04:12 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Tucker is a racist. This is just one in a long line of racist things that he has said. He is not a fan of immigrants at all.

It's a shame that he remains popular despite how blatantly racist he is.

What kind of person likes listening to racists?

This is true.  Tucker seldom bothers with economic reasons to oppose immigrations he goes straight to the racists dog whistles...

"Preserve western culture"

"Fail to assimilate"

".....just have different values"
(11-26-2019, 04:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is true.  Tucker seldom bothers with economic reasons to oppose immigrations he goes straight to the racists dog whistles...

"Preserve western culture"

"Fail to assimilate"

".....just have different values"

Conservatives won't even call white supremacist websites racist.

Trump was convinced to hold up immigration reform by one WH aide who literally cites white supremacist websites to back his views and conservatives actually defend that aide. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]