Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tues-Burrow speaks to the media
The QB press availability at the combine is Tues from 8AM to 11AM. We are practically guaranteed for the first question to Joe being “will he play for the Bengals if picked”. With any luck the response will be an unequivocal “of course what a ridiculous question”. If there is ANY ambiguity we are in for an even bigger onslaught of negative press

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Plan for ambiguity. QBs arent supposed to be controversial and he really hasnt been.
Reply/Quote
Yep.
Reply/Quote
Buckle up, Burrow just measured with 9 inch hands and that will now be the next pointless fact people go to on why the Bengals should consider trading him.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 10:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: Buckle up, Burrow just measured with 9 inch hands and that will now be the next pointless fact people go to on why the Bengals should consider trading him.

Is that too small?
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 10:41 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Is that too small?

9 inches is the absolute bottom of the normal check box hand size. The belief is smaller hands lead to more fumbles, but that falls in line with other historical check boxes like QB height and Tackle arm length that I look at as lazy scouting tools. 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 10:46 AM)Au165 Wrote: 9 inches is the absolute bottom of the normal check box hand size. The belief is smaller hands lead to more fumbles, but that falls in line with other historical check boxes like QB height and Tackle arm length that I look at as lazy scouting tools. 

That and grip, especially in cold weather. It's a half inch below what they'd normally like to see from a QB, so it's not something I'm using as a "red flag".
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just heard from an anonymous AFC scout that said it looked like Joe Burrow did not fully extend his hand on the ruler, which makes him think that he is sabotaging his first overall pick status to avoid being picked by the Cincinnati Bengals. That same scout said he might not have put his heels against the wall for the height measurement to make himself seem shorter as well.

See, I can make up news too. Maybe I can make my own football website.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 10:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: Buckle up, Burrow just measured with 9 inch hands and that will now be the next pointless fact people go to on why the Bengals should consider trading him.

That's not pointless. Not for Qb's and wideouts.

Strip sacks will be an issue as drops tend to be issues for wideouts with small hands.

More of a reason he'll have to have solid protection.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 11:01 AM)jj22 Wrote: That's not pointless. Not for Qb's and wideouts.

Strip sacks will be an issue as drops tend to be issues for wideouts with small hands.

For the love of God, just stop it Stop
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 11:01 AM)jj22 Wrote: That's not pointless. Not for Qb's and wideouts.

Again, pointless mark that is a relic of old school number over player scouting. Strip sacks weren't an issue this year as he was sacked 34 times and hit often, you don't magically develop a fumbling issue it arises more from how you hold the ball in the pocket and how you feel pressure. He is fine at both of those points. 
Reply/Quote

Tua measured 9 7/8ths

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 11:20 AM)pally Wrote: Tua measured 9 7/8ths

And he measured 6 ft even which, similar to 9 inch hands, is the bottom of the barrel height a QB can be. This is the time of year where scouts and teams like to overthink things.
Reply/Quote
Whatever. If Burrow came in with 10 inch hands and Tua with 9 folks would "somehow" see what I'm saying. As they pointed to hand size as it relates to QB's etc.

But since he didn't. No one seems to know what I'm talking about. Funny how that works.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 11:25 AM)jj22 Wrote: Whatever. If Burrow came in with 10 inch hands and Tua with 9 folks would "somehow" see what I'm saying. As they pointed to hand size and fumbles etc.

But since he didn't. No one seems to know what I'm talking about. Funny how that works.

I have held for multiple years on the draft board that these measurable are pointless, this is nothing new because it's Burrow. I said it last year with Murray's height and questions about his hand size going into the combine as well as arm length of tackles. You scout the player you don't scout the charts. 
Reply/Quote
I think measurements mean something. It shouldn't dictate the total evaluation, but it certainly plays a part of it. It would be neglectful if ignored.

Sure slow wideouts for example have been successful, but I don't ignore 40 times. 40 times aren't everything in the evaluation process, as fast wideouts have failed too. But I think you do take it all in when evaluating a prospect.

Now folks are too defensive with Burrow and so they don't like what I said, but Burrow is my pick and his hand size doesn't change that. But we'd all have liked to see them come in at a better number. And while folks won't admit it, it's all because of what I said people like to see qb's have bigger hands for.

Reply/Quote
I heard Chase Young's hands measured in at 36 inches and his height was 6 Foot 30.... Whatever
Reply/Quote
Here is an article about hand size written by someone who appears to have been taking a prob and stats course.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/3/4/11161580/quarterback-hand-size-a-statistical-cautionary-tale

I would like to see his theory with updated data.
Reply/Quote
Apparently the hand size is not an issue if he signs here. According to an anonymous team source there is already plan in place.

Jerome Simpson has been offered a position with the team, contingent on being a "hand donor" for Joe Burrow.

The procedure is not a full transplant. But, basically, because of his enormous hands, Simpson got a lot to spare.

They will graft about 15% of Jerome's hands on to Joe's. It's a revolutionary procedure. Recovery time is expected to be 14 weeks, which should put Joe's return just in time for the preseason.
Reply/Quote
Fumbles weren't an issue for him at LSU so I'm not concerned.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote