Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn the offense over to Hue
(11-20-2018, 09:05 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Zampese was the worst OC that I ever seen. That's probably why people thought Lazor was such a good coordinator. If you go to the worst to below average you'll think it's a lot better than what it is.

He absolutely was the worst I've ever seen. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 09:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I hear ya Wyche but for #$%@ sake ...... try something different, anything. It sure seems like we just ran the same 10 plays over and over and it was like either out execute them or fail.

And I also wonder how much Merv intervene's ? "no we can't get to crazy, to risky"

I feel you 74.

But Lap was saying that Paul Brown simplified his offense when they were just not getting it done.    Brought it down to a small # of plays and drilled them at it till they could do it in their sleep.  Lap says their performance dramatically improved.

I'm with Wyche.   Lazor's come up with some nice plays (some really good looking screens).   But the execution has just not been there.  I'm willing to give him some more time.  Shoot he's working with a confabulated roster - no tight ends, with the only offensive linemen that are any good playing hurt plus a rookie - who has been hurt.  His # 1 WR is out and when he returns will still be dealing with turf toe.   So he's got one good receiver and an injury prone rookie who hasn't put the pro game together in his head.  Plus one 3rd string TE and a bunch of practice squad players.

But I look at teams like Kansas City, the Rams and New Orleans and dream. 
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 09:38 PM)3wt Wrote: I feel you 74.

But Lap was saying that Paul Brown simplified his offense when they were just not getting it done.    Brought it down to a small # of plays and drilled them at it till they could do it in their sleep.  Lap says their performance dramatically improved.

I'm with Wyche.   Lazor's come up with some nice plays (some really good looking screens).   But the execution has just not been there.  I'm willing to give him some more time.  Shoot he's working with a confabulated roster - no tight ends, with the only offensive linemen that are any good playing hurt plus a rookie - who has been hurt.  His # 1 WR is out and when he returns will still be dealing with turf toe.   So he's got one good receiver and an injury prone rookie who hasn't put the pro game together in his head.  Plus one 3rd string TE and a bunch of practice squad players.

You touch on a very good point 3wt about our depth and teams like LAR and NO. Kupp goes out, Reynolds goes 6 for 80 and a TD. Brees had a TD pass to some guy I never heard of against Philly. 

Is it our coaching? Our talent evaluation? Our refusal to pay money to competent backups? Scheme?

I don't know for sure, but our next man up doesn't seem to be the same guy as what those teams have....lol.

(being fair, they don't have near the injuries we do, and ALL of those teams can block, and block well. I think that is your key)

Reply/Quote

Lazor has had to play from 2 - 3 scores behind several times in recent games. Now this might not be a major point, but he has been limited with his playbook options when he's forced to play catch up just to stay in the game. We saw better production in the first 5 games this season when he was able to open his playbook. Enter some injuries for which he had no comparable talent for backups, all while the defense wasn't able to get off the field, and he's been at a disadvantage in almost every game since. It has been a combination of several failures led by Mikey and Marvin's own substandard performances. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 09:59 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Lazor has had to play from 2 - 3 scores behind several times in recent games. Now this might not be a major point, but he has been limited with his playbook options when he's forced to play catch up just to stay in the game. We saw better production in the first 5 games this season when he was able to open his playbook. Enter some injuries for which he had no comparable talent for backups, all while the defense wasn't able to get off the field, and he's been at a disadvantage in almost every game since. It has been a combination of several failures led by Mikey and Marvin's own substandard performances. 

Good points. Especially as it seems like AD loves working the middle of the field more vs outside the hashes. When did Eifert get hurt? Week 4. Supports your theory as well. This offense limps without Eifert. They can’t seem to fully operate without a TE receiving option over the middle, and now consider they’re down 17 TEs, they probably cry at night while eating ice cream. AJ green our they probably have nightmares every night

also your sentence is deep. It’s what I’ve been trying to intake as well. It’s creates a lack of urgency and displine. Hmmm
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

But if you simplify your offense these days, DC's will eat your lunch, unless you're the Panthers' or Ravens' offense running three plays down a rotten defense's throat all day long.  And to do this takes strength of will, a commodity we seem to have in short supply these days.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 09:05 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Zampese was the worst OC that I ever seen. That's probably why people thought Lazor was such a good coordinator. If you go to the worst to below average you'll think it's a lot better than what it is.

We ended last year ranked dead last in offense.  We went from the worst to the worst and now we are just bad.  I'm just saying may be Lazor had some hand in the 14 weeks of crap offense last year .
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 10:27 PM)McC Wrote: But if you simplify your offense these days, DC's will eat your lunch, unless you're the Panthers' or Ravens' offense running three plays down a rotten defense's throat all day long.  And to do this takes strength of will, a commodity we seem to have in short supply these days.

You can simplify the plays but run them out of a multitude of sets and shifts.  It's still not a long term solution, but it might just work for a few games while you're going to war with scrubs...lol.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 10:19 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Good points. Especially as it seems like AD loves working the middle of the field more vs outside the hashes. When did Eifert get hurt? Week 4. Supports your theory as well. This offense limps without Eifert. They can’t seem to fully operate without a TE receiving option over the middle, and now consider they’re down 17 TEs, they probably cry at night while eating ice cream. AJ green our they probably have nightmares every night

also your sentence is deep. It’s what I’ve been trying to intake as well. It’s creates a lack of urgency and displine. Hmmm

Look at the TEs' numbers I posted from the 1st Baltimore game, the numbers in the first few games, and the articles from the early season....it isn't a theory, it was A HUGE part of his offense. He's kinda ****Ed...lol.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 10:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We ended last year ranked dead last in offense.  We went from the worst to the worst and now we are just bad.  I'm just saying may be Lazor had some hand in the 14 weeks of crap offense last year .

Sure he did, but he's still better than Son of Paul's other lifer. Hell, even the Clowns passed on promoting him when they shitcanned Haley.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 10:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: You can simplify the plays but run them out of a multitude of sets and shifts.  It's still not a long term solution, but it might just work for a few games while you're going to war with scrubs...lol.

It still usually comes down to beating the guy across from you.  It is kind of handicapping to not have many guys doing that lately.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 10:45 PM)McC Wrote: It still usually comes down to beating the guy across from you.  It is kind of handicapping to not have many guys doing that lately.

Boy....ain't that the truth! I think wildcats is right....the oline is still not very good. Better than last season, but not very good. When you look at Lazor's early season plan, it was pretty good. Run 2 and sometimes 3 (HB)TEs. You can throw and run from the formations without tipping your hand. You take out Eifert, then Kroft shortly thereafter, that plan is toast. Now you're left depending on these guys to block 1 on 1. They ain't getting it done.

Reply/Quote
If I had the time and know how, I'd just love to go back and pull up all the threads hollering for Hue to be let go when he was OC......
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2018, 09:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If I had the time and know how, I'd just love to go back and pull up all the threads hollering for Hue to be let go when he was OC......

I for, one, always liked him as the OC, I was even for promoting him to HC and getting Merv TFO here....LOL.  Boy that part has sure changed!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:38 PM)McC Wrote: Not a big Hue fan, per se.  Something about him rubs me the wrong way.  But he is miles better that our boy Bill, who lacks the adapt gene, which is why our offense is headed south in a hurry.

I guarantee you Hue would find better ways to use what he has.

would love hue running the offense..

Not sure what the talk is about him maybe running the defense.    Lazor has moments where everything looks great then it just disappears for long stretchs.
Reply/Quote
Here is the problem that the Bengals have. They don't have the Talent neesary to be an elite offense. Outside of AJ, Mixon, and Boyd who scares you. Ross is a number 2 who is still learning the position, CJ is a number 3 TE,and our offensive line is a mixture of OK and shit at this point. Hue could call plays and the offense would still be a mess.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
At this moment Lazor isnt using what he has.
yes hes decimated at TE. Uzomah and Lengl can still be match up problems
he has Jeff Driskel in a ball cap..really.
i would have actually had Driskel in on the 4th and 3 instead if Core..let Driskel run the option. catch
the Ravens off guard.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:38 PM)McC Wrote: Not a big Hue fan, per se.  Something about him rubs me the wrong way.  But he is miles better that our boy Bill, who lacks the adapt gene, which is why our offense is headed south in a hurry.

I guarantee you Hue would find better ways to use what he has.

And to think...a month ago, everyone was praising Lazor for his outstanding playcalling and how the only reason this team was worth a damn was because of him.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 08:38 PM)McC Wrote: Not a big Hue fan, per se.  Something about him rubs me the wrong way. 

But give him the reins anyway? Makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2018, 09:38 PM)3wt Wrote: But I look at teams like Kansas City, the Rams and New Orleans and dream. 

Well, KC and LA have one thing going for them, and the fans better enjoy it while it lasts. Both those rookies are on their rookie contract, and making very little money comparatively. When it's time to reup them, and they all of a sudden have to pay them upwards of 30 mil a year, a lot of the other talent on those teams will have to go away due to the cap.
Reply/Quote