Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Bengals In The Top 20 Receivers Of 21st Century!
(03-11-2021, 02:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You don't know if you'd put Chad in there?

I don't know if it's recency bias or what, but Chad Johnson was a more dominant receiver in his prime than AJ Green.  If you look at the numbers he put up, and when he he did it, there's no question he had the better Bengals career.

Chad not only played a decade earlier when passing numbers were lower, he did it against a better division in terms of defense.  That's not to say that Pitts and Balt still haven't had decent defenses this last decade, but Chad was going up against the Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, and James Harrison and Troy Polumalu lead defenses of the decade prior.

Chad was an elite, top 5 receiver for like 4 or 5 straight years numbers wise.  I think AJ Green has finished top 5 in yardage maybe only once or twice.

Yeah, Chad might even need to be higher on that list...

He was the best WR in the entire AFC for 3 straight years and you could say the entire NFL at that time.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 06:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Chad might even need to be higher on that list...

He was the best WR in the entire AFC for 3 straight years and you could say the entire NFL at that time.

lol i was wrong eariler when i said 5 straight years

from his wiki

. He led the AFC in receiving yards for four consecutive seasons, and he made the Pro Bowl five straight times from 2003 to 2007.[12]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 06:25 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: lol i was wrong eariler when i said 5 straight years

from his wiki

. He led the AFC in receiving yards for four consecutive seasons, and he made the Pro Bowl five straight times from 2003 to 2007.[12]

So he was even better than I thought, thought it was 3 straight seasons...

Doing that 4 times in a row is extremely rare.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 03:38 PM)J24 Wrote: Calvin Johnson over Moss

Stop it
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 10:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chad>AJ

I think if we went back to Thursday night vs Baltimore in 2018 after watching AJ mudrer the Ravens almost single handedly, we'd have believed it was all but a lock the AJ would eventually surpass Chad in the pantheon of great Bengal WRs.  AJ was an obvious elite talent from the second he stepped on the field in 2011, whereas Chad took a couple of seasons to start making people see he was a number 1.  Chad had to work for it.  

The last couple of years were immensely damaging to Green's legacy here.  It's really unfortunate and sad, honestly.  He was still playing very well when he went down in 2018.  2020 was possibly more egregious than 19.  There's no way anyone thought he'd be the shell that he was over 16 games.  He was never perceived as lazy or vindictive, but it's hard to defend his play this year outside of him just being physically finished.  

I really hate it.  He's a no doubt all time Bengal great, and he did everything the right way for a long time.  It's tough to see AJ finish here like this, but as it stands, Chad is no doubt the better player over his career.
Reply/Quote