Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Tyler Boyd
If you trade Boyd you have $2.8M in dead money + the salary of his replacement which decreases any potential salary cap savings.
(02-14-2022, 12:30 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I mentioned this last week sometime with a couple posters in agreement...

Boyd is way over paid at WR3.   $10.1M this coming season and $10.3M next. Trade for value now or let go and spend, spend, spend on Oline.

We dont need a superstar slot with Chase, Higgins and Joe.  Especially one not producing at a high level.

Dropping an 8yd pass on a crucial 3rd down in the SB simply adds to my suggestion a week ago.

I know it was his only drop, but he hasnt carried us anymore than a solid RG would have this season. Lets not make the same mistake 2 more years.  Pull a Belicheck and move on from high dollar guys that dont produce to their pay level.

I know many will disagree, but keep in mind, this was my suggestion a week ago.
Lol the Bengals have more issue than a seldom used slot receiver.  What happens if Higgins or Chase goes down?  The Bengals will have a nice amount of money under the cap and the oline can be addressed through free agency.  They NEED to get a defensive backfield that doesn't fold like a cheap suit
(02-14-2022, 01:06 AM)casear2727 Wrote: We are paying him $20M the next 2 seasons. Did you see $10M in value this season?  If his $20M gets us an elite RT would you still rather have him or risk Joe's health?

No matter how good he is, he isnt putting up numbers to equal how good he is.  Chase, Higgins, Mixon, CJ are our priorities, any speedy slot would work for us for much cheaper and make our offense better with a very good oline versus average oline and TB getting 3-5 receptions per game.

But, you’re not freeing up $20M in cap space due to dead money and the salary cap hit of who you sign to replace Boyd.
I would pay TB and use him more. Our team relies on the big play too much. It has served us well this year It reminds me of a game I 2010 or 11. The camera was on the opponent’s team. The db (don’t remember) said just take 18 out if the game they have nothing. We need way more short routs that are not screens. Especially with a horrible line..

Side note, and I admit I am not an expert in any way big fan novice on football strategy. When a line is struggling on pass defense most teams do screens to slow it down. Don’t remember any last night
(02-14-2022, 11:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: That just takes it into next year though in a 50/50 split (signing bonus is prorated over years left). I like the voidable year approach because it take a bit more off the top this year as it's divided over 3 but essentially split 33% next year 66% the following.

I read you, but I'm a bit reluctant to push cap dollars into '24 due to the number of big expiring contracts and extensions that will be due.  That said, with the voidable year, you free up enough extra money to get a depth guy somewhere and open your draft board a bit.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-14-2022, 11:23 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: You have some good points, and made me consider it, but you need 3 weapons in the NFL. Without Boyd, we don’t have the firepower to get to the SB. So you save 10M but then you need to sign another FA WR. That’s at least 6M to get someone decent. 10M isn’t that much at all. Chase is going to get like 20-25. Tee will get 18M. 10M is a fairly low ticket.

I think we need to move on from Mixon. Draft a RB in round 3-4.

We do not need to sign a FA slot, ever, unless its very cheap. This offense does not prioritize the slot like the Rams do with Kupp.

I would much rather upgrade 3 spots on the oline with better than average players and put a Trent Taylor type at the slot.  JoeyB, with time, can do real damage with Chase, Tee, Mixon, TE's, quick/sure handed slot.  We cannot have every player at $10M. Joe is getting his knee examined once again because of this oline. 
(02-14-2022, 05:32 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The Chiefs totally rebuilt their oline in one year. Im looking to replace 3 guys, 2 of which couldnt start for Bama.

The Chiefs actually cut their OL spend in the process.  They hit on two draft picks and found three good value FAs.  They didn't cut important contributors to make it happen. 
(02-14-2022, 11:41 AM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Boyd already earned the money he has.  Wtf are you talking about?

There's only a few dudes on earth who could do what he's done for this team.  Transitioning from AJ, and nothing but a team player who continues to produce along side the guys brought in to replace him.

Are we up against the cap?  There's no other way besides cutting boyd to have a better oline?

This is simply not biz smart strategy.  You dont continue to pay a guy money for what he did in the past after when you replaced his production with 2 other guys. And desperately need longterm solutions on the oline.

We dont need a $10M year guy catching 4 passes a game while ruin our QB's career.  

We need to be a franchise that understands priorities.  #1 protect Joe, #2 weapons for Joe.  

#1 is terrible.
#2 is covered with Chase, Tee, Mixon - TE and slot are the lower priorities.
(02-14-2022, 11:49 AM)Whatever Wrote: If we really needed some space, they could just convert his '22 salary into signing bonus money minus league minimum salary.  The only key geuys we have coming up in '23 are Bell, Pratt, and Hopkins and none of them are going to be expensive to keep or replace with a similar caliber player.

This is might be an option, you think we option that 5th season for Jonah instead of extending him? And we are going to wait until Tee's contract year to extend him as well?  
(02-14-2022, 01:49 PM)Roland Wrote: The Chiefs actually cut their OL spend in the process.  They hit on two draft picks and found three good value FAs.  They didn't cut important contributors to make it happen. 

The Chiefs prioritize their slot like the Rams, also have a great TE. They cut bad oline and dont pay WR's and RB like we do.

Who does KC pay $10M a year to catch only 4 passes a game?

Simply cant prioritize everyone money-wise, has to be based upon production. Boyd is talented - but not used like Kupp or Hilton and our oline needs the best we can get.
(02-14-2022, 01:49 PM)Roland Wrote: The Chiefs actually cut their OL spend in the process.  They hit on two draft picks and found three good value FAs.  They didn't cut important contributors to make it happen. 

The Chiefs prioritize their slot like the Rams, also have a great TE. They cut bad oline and dont pay WR's and RB like we do.

Simply cant prioritize everyone money-wise, has to be based upon production. Boyd is talented - but not used like Kupp or Hilton and our oline needs the best we can get.
(02-14-2022, 02:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Chiefs prioritize their slot like the Rams, also have a great TE. They cut bad oline and dont pay WR's and RB like we do.

You keep making the example yourself but ignoring it.  KC has a great TE so they can afford to go without a quality threat in the slot.  You need three serious threats in the NFL.  You keep talking Boyd's production but Boyd's production was limited by Burrow's time in the pocket.  And 4 catches a game is more than we seen from some #2 receivers.  

I think you're dreaming if you think you're going to get a reliable 60+ catches out of a third WR that you can save more than a couple of million on.   I've spent too many years watching them sift through the NFL scrap heap to be up for that.  We don't have to throw out proven, productive pieces to make necessary improvements in the OL.  

We're going in circles, so I'll leave it at that.   
I would at least listen to trade offers for him. I really like the guy, and I want him to be a part of next year’s championship, but that line needs to be built. If you can get something for him that will help protect QB1, I might be all about doing it.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

I pointed this out during the Chase/Sewell debates last year.

I said someone (between Chase, Mixon and Boyd) would get pinched on touches, and that it'd most likely be Boyd.

It wasn't quite as drastic as I thought, but he did outright disappear from the offense at times.

I agree he's overpaid at this point, but unless we're strapped for cash, I change my mind about trading him. We have a ton of cap space to fix this o-line, etc. If we ever need the money though, or can trade him for a good lineman, I'd definitely do it.

He's just not that important to the offense anymore. Any decent slot guy will suffice.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(02-14-2022, 03:56 PM)Roland Wrote: You keep making the example yourself but ignoring it.  KC has a great TE so they can afford to go without a quality threat in the slot.  You need three serious threats in the NFL.  You keep talking Boyd's production but Boyd's production was limited by Burrow's time in the pocket.  And 4 catches a game is more than we seen from some #2 receivers.  

I think you're dreaming if you think you're going to get a reliable 60+ catches out of a third WR that you can save more than a couple of million on.   I've spent too many years watching them sift through the NFL scrap heap to be up for that.  We don't have to throw out proven, productive pieces to make necessary improvements in the OL.  

We're going in circles, so I'll leave it at that.   

Tyler is very talented but we are not getting production. We could have the #1 fullback in the league on the bench, so what?

The Chiefs have 2 threats in Hill and Kelce - they dont pay any other receivers or RBs over $2M - they sign Thuney and Brown on the line.  The Rams are the same.

The Bengals have 2 threats in Chase and Higgins, we pay $11M to Mixon, why should we pay another $10M to a slot not named Hill or Kupp with only 4 targets a game?  It is impossible to pay every single skill position and also get quality linemen.

I would take Trent Taylor at slot if needed to upgrade that oline and beat this year's offense easily.  

And that's the trick. You can afford 5 veteran lineman with a qb getting paid $40 million a year.
(02-14-2022, 10:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that's the trick. You can afford 5 veteran lineman with a qb getting paid $40 million a year.

The Chiefs are not paying $10M to a WR with only 4 targets a game, they are not paying a RB $11-13M (in fact they dont pay any of her RBs over $2M, it all goes to oline and the most important weapons).
(02-14-2022, 10:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And that's the trick. You can afford 5 veteran lineman with a qb getting paid $40 million a year.

Nope, but you can afford them while the QB is on their rookie deal. Just draft their replacements along the way.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(02-14-2022, 10:17 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Chiefs are not paying $10M to a WR with only 4 targets a game, they are not paying a RB $11-13M (in fact they dont pay any of her RBs over $2M, it all goes to oline and the most important weapons).

Traditionally, teams that win super bowls don't pay their rbs more than $2 million a year.
Don't think Boyd needs to go to fix O-line with the cap space available and some deadweight that can be trimmed, especially on O-line.

But if there is not enough money to buy O-line then would think the money Bates is about to demand would buy a nice lineman for sure.

Yet would rather keep Bates and Tyler (fan of both) and think we can for 2 more years still and be more creative about our moves freeing up money.

Actually would like to add a 4th WR in lieu of cutting one of the 3. Plus Boyd offers great depth at that price because if Chase or Tee go down Tyler can step right in and still give Bengals a legitimate chance. Doubtful his replacement will offer this security.

But if Bengals do have to move Boyd to get Burrow protection ? Then would trade him for a draft pick as to save cap money and get another player on rookie contract to replace him in draft.

Want O-line fixed at whatever the cost, but would try and keep this SB team intact as much as possible until Burrow is signed and we are forced to change it up.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !