Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Shelvin Is Already Impressing Teammates!
It looks like we may have gotten a steal in the fourth round because Tyler Shelvin is playing like a man amongst boys!

Dude is 6'2, 350 and is apparently moving around like it's nothing and he's impressing all of his teammates!

Quote:It was hard for Tyler Shelvin not to stand out when the Cincinnati Bengals selected him in the fourth round of the 2021 NFL draft.

Shelvin, after all, checks in at 6’2″ and 350 pounds — and once carried Joe Burrow off the field at LSU with a single hand.

Now the defensive tackle has already put that skillset to work at Bengals rookie minicamp, impressing all involved, including fellow rookie Joseph Ossai.

“He’s a big dude. He’s a big dude,” Ossai said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “I was working out there with him and he can move pretty well. I’m very impressed with that. That’s he that big, that massive and can move like that.”

Former LSU teammate Ja’Marr Chase was right there with praise too: “Big T is my guy. T is a very aggressive player. He’s one of those players who can always get double teamed and he’ll still beat the double team. That’s what he did at LSU and you can see it on the film.”

That combo of size, power and speed is what had the Bengals all over him in the fourth round. The team will ask him to put it all to work on a rotational basis as a rookie, though there’s certainly room for bigger playing time if he’s mauling offensive linemen like he did in the SEC.

It looks like we might have found a steal in the fourth round, which is exciting because didn't we draft another defensive tackle in the fourth round who ended up being dominant and a steal!

Oh, that's right, GENO ATKINS!

I'm loving this because calling for double teams will make our transition to more 3-4 looks even easier and, if we get creative with play calls, we can have a hell of a defense because it will free up other defenders to make plays!

I'm also loving the LSU connection with Burrow and Chase because seeing your guys on the other side of the ball making plays will only get you excited and motivated!

People keep saying we're at least a year away, but this team is starting to excite me and I think we have the youth to make some noise!
Reply/Quote
I’m tempering expectations. I remember the Billings hype.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 01:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m tempering expectations. I remember the Billings hype.

They arent even doing contact yet right?    i would hope any athlete good enough to be drafted looks good during workouts. 
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 01:21 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m tempering expectations. I remember the Billings hype.

Me 2

It's always so and so is a beast, 7th round pick is tearing it up, player X was a steal, blah, blah. I mean I hope he's an All Pro. But I'm not gonna set up the ticker tape parade just yet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Billings was a good NT. He was a good pick in Rd 4.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 01:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Billings was a good NT. He was a good pick in Rd 4.

Billings was OK. I just remember the hype around his size, the fact that he was so young and that he would grow into a monster as he matured.

He remained OK, and my main memories of him are breaking the line and then being unable to catch anyone lol.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 01:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Billings was a good NT. He was a good pick in Rd 4.

Yea, for a 4th rounder he had a really solid run here. I think people's expectations are not quite calibrated at times with the reality of how little most draft picks contribute. The other issue is most people don't actually understand a NT's role in most defenses and what he was actually supposed to be doing, and doing well.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 02:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, for a 4th rounder he had a really solid run here. I think people's expectations are not quite calibrated at times with the reality of how little most draft picks contribute. The other issue is most people don't actually understand a NT's role in most defenses and what he was actually supposed to be doing, and doing well.

I just think it's funny that people are so overly hyped for Shelvin and Smith.
Like those dudes might turn out to be solid, but the likelihood they become really good NFL starters? Very little.
People need to temper expectations.

Billings was considered a (way) better prospect than Shelvin, people were crazy pumped he fell to 4th round, and they think Shelvin, who no one even really talked about leading up to the draft, is going to be some elite player?

Baffles me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 02:28 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Billings was OK. I just remember the hype around his size, the fact that he was so young and that he would grow into a monster as he matured.

He remained OK, and my main memories of him are breaking the line and then being unable to catch anyone lol.

Billings' biggest attribute coming out was his strength. Shelvin has size and speed. While a NT is not necessarily supposed to be a sck machine, that's what people seem to expect. Shelvin should have the speed needed to get home on occasion, and the speed and size to stop the runners. I see Shelvin as a much better prospect than Billings, who I liked. 
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7Apzf-O1As

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHX7H9EpZ0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqjdBUCZM0

Some Big T film
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 03:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Billings' biggest attribute coming out was his strength. Shelvin has size and speed. While a NT is not necessarily supposed to be a sck machine, that's what people seem to expect. Shelvin should have the speed needed to get home on occasion, and the speed and size to stop the runners. I see Shelvin as a much better prospect than Billings, who I liked. 

That's what I'm thinking.  The size and speed will occupy multiple blockers, which is what we need from out 3-4 NT.  People saying "oh, he won't offer much as a pass rusher," but they can't single block him, and plus he gets a push, even if he doesn't get a sack, which makes a quarterback uncomfortable and unable to fully step into throws.

He does need to have a more consistent motor sometimes, but he'll be playing for a job now and for money, so let's hope that it lights a fire under his ass.

Let's hope that the year off has let him just become more ripped and in even better shape because he could absolutely be a beast for this team.
Reply/Quote
I like the Shelvin pick.Hope he tears it up this year.A really good nose tackle would obviously be a big plus for this defense.To early though to really know what to expect from him.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 04:04 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I like the Shelvin pick.Hope he tears it up this year.A really good nose tackle would obviously be a big plus for this defense.To early though to really know what to expect from him.

I think he will rotate in and out with Reader, while Ogunjobi has a career year next to them.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 03:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Billings' biggest attribute coming out was his strength. Shelvin has size and speed. While a NT is not necessarily supposed to be a sck machine, that's what people seem to expect. Shelvin should have the speed needed to get home on occasion, and the speed and size to stop the runners. I see Shelvin as a much better prospect than Billings, who I liked. 

FWIW ; I read somewhere that Billichick was at an LSU game and told one of his guys to "get me that guy" who was Shelvin.  He likely saw another Vince Wilfork in there. 
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 04:19 PM)kalibengal Wrote: FWIW ; I read somewhere that Billichick was at an LSU game and told one of his guys to "get me that guy" who was Shelvin.  He likely saw another Vince Wilfork in there. 

I din't know that but it's true and it makes me even more excited!  Bill knows his nose tackles and is a brilliant NFL mind!

If you search "Belichick Tyler Shelvin," you get a bunch of results, like this one:

Quote:The Cincinnati Bengals used an additional pick on nosetackle Tyler Shelvin out of LSU in the 2021 NFL draft’s fourth round.
Somewhere, it seems New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick was punching air as the selection got announced.
Shelvin, a massive 6’2″, 350-pound tackle from Joe Burrow’s 2019 LSU squad, was apparently a favorite of Belichick’s for years.
while scouting names like K’Lavon Chaisson, Patrick Queen and other 2019 Tigers, Belichick made a point to throw this out there about Shelvin: “I want No. 72. You make sure No. 72 is on our team.”
Instead, the anchor for a national title team is now on the Bengals, where he’ll at least join a rotation and see specific usage as a rookie.
And to make it funnier, Cincinnati added Shelvin with a pick the Patriots used to own but traded to the Bengals during the draft.

I'm getting excited about this guy and about this team!  If we keep a rotation, I think this new look defense could cause some damage!
Reply/Quote
I think Tyler is going to end up being a steal for us!

We had the pleasure of having Brody Miller from the Athletic (LSU Football Beat Reporter) on last weeks show, I invite you to check out what he had to say about Tyler and the rest of our "Bayou Bengals" we have brought on board the last 2 seasons!  Clip starts around the 24 minute mark, enjoy!

Established in 1993 Bengal Jim's "Before the Roar" is the longest running tailgate to support the Cincinnati Bengals.

Tune in LIVE at 8pm eastern every Tuesday for our weekly Bengals show! 

Check out our YouTube page at:
[Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC12ZcOwQDXreLIkrcdjmbVwl]
Reply/Quote
Let's use him returning kicks!
Reply/Quote
The only Billings hype I've seen was on this board.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
Yes! A 4th round HOFer who hasn't even put on pads! Just joking around a bit. I really appreciate the enthusiasm because as Bengals fans, it would be nice to have something to be excited about. With Zac, Lou, and the Dream Team front office, it's going to take a lot more than Shelvin to get us over the hump. Lets wait and see what he does in contact and preseason games at least.
Reply/Quote

I mean ok. He came on in his last year but yea meh
Reply/Quote