Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Shelvin Is Already Impressing Teammates!
(05-22-2021, 10:58 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Look back at how people used to constantly bash Peko because he was not a sack machine as if that is what his job was within our scheme. They still complained after Zimmer even stated that Peko was one of the best in the league in what he asked his NT to do in his scheme.

Frequently complained, will be ecstatic if Shelvin is even close to Peko's play 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Shelvin in the 4th, ......Bazinga !!!

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
C'mon..deep down if the Bengals only had a cement truck parked on the defensive line someone would complain about it not getting sacks of cement..
It's the nature of the beast I suppose.. 
He hasn't played a single down yet so I'll wait and just hope he lives up to the hype..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 07:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Frequently complained, will be ecstatic if Shelvin is even close to Peko's play 

Right?! 

I'm sure PFF and the fans will still shit all over him, but a solid gap-plugger has been missing from this team for awhile, and it shows in our run defense rankings.
Reply/Quote
Well, a good thing for young players is to be self-aware of strengths and weaknesses. In Shelvins interview, he stated he thought he was an excellent run stopper, but needed help on being a good pass rusher. So he took his covid time out and spent it with pass rushing coaches. Hopefully that part of his game is improved because of it.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 09:22 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Right?! 

I'm sure PFF and the fans will still shit all over him, but a solid gap-plugger has been missing from this team for awhile, and it shows in our run defense rankings.

I think it's more than coincidence that the Bengals haven't been able to stop the run since Peko left.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 10:12 PM)jason Wrote: I think it's more than coincidence that the Bengals haven't been able to stop the run since Peko left.

BuT hE wAs A tErRiBle NoSe TaCkLe - people on these mesaage boards with a toddler's understanding of Peko's job.

Didn't his leaving coincide with Zimmer getting the job in Minnesota? I might be off by a year.
Reply/Quote
Never did get the Peko hate on here.

Loved the guy

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 10:18 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: BuT hE wAs A tErRiBle NoSe TaCkLe - people on these mesaage boards with a toddler's understanding of Peko's job.

Didn't his leaving coincide with Zimmer getting the job in Minnesota? I might be off by a year.

No... I think Peko was here 2-3 years post Zimmer. But yeah; Mike Zimmer laid a really solid foundation in Cincinnati. The defense was still really good for at least 2 seasons after he left, and respectable for longer than that. Mike Zimmer left after the 2013 season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 11:07 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Never did get the Peko hate on here.

Loved the guy

So did I - very underrated here. It said something that the opponent YPC carry jumped when he was out (injury for example). 
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2021, 02:32 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree that he could have been better and been a bit more scruffy to free himself up, like you said, but I'm just saying that he wasn't terrible, like many people said, and was actually decent at his job.  Would I have preferred that he freed himself up more to make plays?  Yes, of course, but not many NTs can do that, and he was just good at what he was asked to do.

He was definitely a good guy off the field and was very humble and generous.  He used to buy the kids in our neighborhood all kinds of things and once rented a big bouncy house and invited all the kids over to play in it.  My father helped him skip all the technical stuff to join the country club that his house was on and he always made sure to tell me to tell my dad hi when I saw him at training camp and wherever.

Another thing that I like about Shelvin is that he seems to embrace the role of eating double teams, absorbing space, taking on blocks, and keeping the backers clean, which is what we need from our nose tackle.  Even if we only play him on first and second down, I think that would be best to keep him fresh and just causing a logjam in the middle of the line.  

Shelvin also seems to be excited to be playing with Burrow and Chase, so let's just hope that he can keep his weight in check and stay in shape because I think he could be a hell of a force for us!

Yeah, Domata was a damn good run stopper and is a great person. Love the dude's hair as well lol

I never said Peko was terrible back in the day, just wanted a DT next to Geno that could also rush the passer better than Peko.

Sadly, there never came one. Billings was solid here but was not near the player I thought he would become.

Hopefully Shelvin becomes this type of player for us. Really love the Ogunjobi pick up too.

I like us bringing in the LSU guys, keep that team going. Best team maybe ever in college football.

(05-22-2021, 06:46 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I thought Peko was a great player. Lacked at getting sacks but was very good at eating up two blockers and helping stop the run. 

Shelvin seems to play with a nastier attitude then Peko. 

Yeah, he was a great run stopper but was a nice guy even on the football field. 

He would say sorry for hitting people too hard lol
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2021, 05:57 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: I mean ok.  He came on in his last year but yea meh

Billings achieved more than a typical 4th rounder.
Most 4th rounders don't become more than a depth player.

Billings is arguably the best 4th round pick the Bengals have had since Clint Boling, which was a decade ago.

I wish the Bengals would have re-signed Billings in 2020 instead of spending all that money on Reader, and they could have used that saved money on an OL upgrade. Hopefully Reader makes me regret saying that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2021, 11:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Billings achieved more than a typical 4th rounder.

Billings is arguably the best 4th round pick the Bengals have had since Clint Boling, which was a decade ago.

I wish the Bengals would have re-signed Billings in 2020 instead of spending all that money on Reader, and they could have used that saved money on an OL upgrade. Hopefully Reader makes me regret saying that.

Same way here bro.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2021, 12:20 AM)Joelist Wrote: So did I - very underrated here. It said something that the opponent YPC carry jumped when he was out (injury for example). 

Domata Peko is the most underated Bengal probably of all time. He played his position and did exactly what Zimmer wanted him to with excellence, and was a valuable leadership presence on the team, a great spokesperson to the community, and someone fans could be proud to have on the team. I never understood the bashing he took here either. For years he and Whit were the leaders of this team. 
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 09:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Domata Peko is the most underated Bengal probably of all time. He played his position and did exactly what Zimmer wanted him to with excellence, and was a valuable leadership presence on the team, a great spokesperson to the community, and someone fans could be proud to have on the team. I never understood the bashing he took here either. For years he and Whit were the leaders of this team. 

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wl9pkgzkrnq1v6p4lu...y.gif&ct=g]

That's exactly what Nate, myself, and other people who understand football have been saying for years.

His main job on the defense was to be a plug in the middle and occupy blockers to free up other defenders.

Peko was great for our defense ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2021, 11:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Billings achieved more than a typical 4th rounder.

Nah. That would be Lawson.

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 10:25 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah. That would be Lawson.

Yes, you're right.
Don't know how I missed him when I scanned back through the list of 4th rounders.

Billings was still better than:
ADG (so far)
Finley
Wren
Jordan
Walton
Malone
Glasgow
Shaw
Hardison
Bodine
Porter