Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Uh oh Joe Mixon
(04-08-2023, 12:09 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Lol you actually believe he's getting death threats? 

Nope, think it was just a spontaneous BS alibi spewed forth from his mouth. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 10:35 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Let's just take out the criminal charges and look at his production

If you take out the games he missed he played 17 games including the playoffs

Mixon rushed for less than 50 yards in 8 of these games, nearly half he failed to reach 50 yards

Mixon rushed for 27 yards or less in 6 of these games. Let that sink in, over a third of the games he did not rush for over 27 yards

Mixon rushed for 65 yards or less in 12 of those games. 12 out of 17

Mixon had only 2 games where he broke the 100 yard barrier rushing, so less than 12% of his games played he achieved this goal

Add to the equation that defenses were not stacking the box to stop the run, but were solely geared toward stopping the Bengals receivers.

Mixon scored 10 TD's on 317 touches
Perine scored 7 TD's.. on 155 touches
Boyd.. scored 5 TD's.. on 58 touches  

He is just not earning his  $12.7 million a year regardless of the thuggish publicity he brings to the table.  That's not even factoring that he can't block his way out of a saturated paper sack.

Now do expect him to run much better in a contract year but high paid RB's need to produce year in and year out.

And it's even worse than all that you mentioned,,

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Mixon last concussion may have caused some permanent damage. It was always in him but I believed he changed. He lowers his head a lot and maybe it’s caught up to him. This off-season and his person life events coming out isnt a good sign for him on a personal level. Let alone professional.

Bengals should have cut ties by now. I know they don’t want to show their hand in case Robinson falls and losing Perine didn’t help but the quicker we cut ties the better. Who knows what may come next with Mixon seemingly coming unglued.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:11 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: And it's even worse than all that you mentioned,,

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Those tweets from Russell and Sharp kind of encapsulates the issue. Mixon has been facing light boxes because of the focus on the excellent Bengals top-3 receivers. But he still ranks near the bottom on the league in important RB statistical categories. It seems a waste for the Bengals to lack a RB that can exploit those light boxes.
Reply/Quote
Put the legal situation (innocent until proven guilty of a misdemeanor) aside, ask yourself is Joe Mixon worth his current contract.

I say no, I say he either takes a pay cut or we look for another RB in the draft or FA.

His production does not equate to a huge contract for a RB in my humble opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:03 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If they cut him and sign Elliot it doesn't really create a new hole or need in the draft. They have a need at RB as it stands unless you feel that Williams or Evans is ready to be the Perine change of pace guy.

I think RB is in the cards with or without Mixon and there isn't a reason to spend a high pick on one. KC found a gem in round 7. There is talent at RB in round 3, 4, and beyond. 

Just might be more interesting in trading pick 28 now and sliding into the top of round 2 and getting an extra pick, unless they can trade Jonah for that round 3 pick.

What? Of course it does. 

RBs lost: Perine 
RBs signed: none 

That where things stand now. If you cut Mixon, we are down two RBs. 

RBs lost: Mixon, Perine. 
RBs signed: none 

If you sign Elliot, that plugs RB2 (Perine), but Zeke is not a lead back anymore. Now you need an RB1 because Mixon is gone. A role guys like Gibbs and Achane are too small to fill. An opening at RB2 is not the same as RB1.

Plus, you need to spend a medium/high pick on an RB, something that was not needed this year if Mixon was on the team, as Elliot/Fournette could have filled in for Perine. Sure, we COULD have picked a RB, but if Mixon's gone, now we HAVE to.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:34 PM)Nepa Wrote: Those tweets from Russell and Sharp kind of encapsulates the issue. Mixon has been facing light boxes because of the focus on the excellent Bengals top-3 receivers. But he still ranks near the bottom on the league in important RB statistical categories. It seems a waste for the Bengals to lack a RB that can exploit those light boxes.

It also points to the fact that he can't create or make guys miss nearly enough. When you're facing that many light boxes, you have a lot of opportunities for big runs. Even when he's catching the ball against light boxes,, he can't make teams pay. No one's bringing down a safety to account for him because he isn't explosive enough to scare anyone. He just isn't a fit for this offense anymore.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:10 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What are you talking about? They 100% tried to bring Perine back but he chose to go to Denver. 

I said if they knewMixon they were moving on from they’d made sure and done more to keep Perine. It wouldn’t have taken much more. Read what I said. I said they’d have said you’ve got a chance to be #1 and we are going to offer you more than Denver. Hope that helps.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:53 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I said if they knewMixon they were moving on from they’d made sure and done more to keep Perine. It wouldn’t have taken much more. Read what I said. I said they’d have said you’ve got a chance to be #1 and we are going to offer you more than Denver. Hope that helps.

This is nothing more than your opinion.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 01:00 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: This is nothing more than your opinion.

Actually someone else incredibly informed but not in the building but still just an opinion but one I’d take over 90% in the building.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 01:00 PM)Eraserhead Wrote: This is nothing more than your opinion.

It's actually "common sense".

Many of you seem to think he's easily replaceable, and he might be, but they aren't going to just cut him and go with that hole into the draft.  (barring legalities that is). To me it seemed like the plan was to draft someone this year and let them get up to speed and see if they can handle being the stater for 2024. 

Also not sure why you don't think the coaches are well aware of his stats and analytics and what he brings to the team.. that's kinda like their effing job??
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 01:34 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It's actually "common sense".

Many of you seem to think he's easily replaceable, and he might be, but they aren't going to just cut him and go with that hole into the draft.  (barring legalities that is). To me it seemed like the plan was to draft someone this year and let them get up to speed and see if they can handle being the stater for 2024. 

Also not sure why you don't think the coaches are well aware of his stats and analytics and what he brings to the team.. that's kinda like their effing job??

And he’s a popular player with his teammates and Zac and the Blackburns. They’d done what Dallas did with Ezekiel. They’d been very respectful.Now the legal troubles could change that.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:43 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Put the legal situation (innocent until proven guilty of a misdemeanor), ask yourself is Joe Mixon worth his current contract.

I say no, I say he either takes a pay cut or we look for another RB in the draft or FA.

His production does not equate to a huge contract for a RB in my humble opinion.

Correct.  He made his money when the Bengals had problems attracting free agents and were happy to keep one of their own.  It's very likely they could draft two running backs (2nd-4th, 5th-7th) and be close in production and block better.  It's hard to justify keeping his contract when there are so many 2024 free agents.  They can pull money forward for another 2 years for a guy like Reader.  
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 01:34 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It's actually "common sense".

And he’s a popular player with his teammates and Zac and the Blackburns. They’d done what Dallas did with Ezekiel. They’d been very respectful.Now the legal troubles could change that.

Reply/Quote
I have to think we're going RB early in this draft - earlier than many think.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 10:35 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Let's just take out the criminal charges and look at his production

If you take out the games he missed he played 17 games including the playoffs

Mixon rushed for less than 50 yards in 8 of these games, nearly half he failed to reach 50 yards

Mixon rushed for 27 yards or less in 6 of these games. Let that sink in, over a third of the games he did not rush for over 27 yards

Mixon rushed for 65 yards or less in 12 of those games. 12 out of 17

Mixon had only 2 games where he broke the 100 yard barrier rushing, so less than 12% of his games played he achieved this goal

Add to the equation that defenses were not stacking the box to stop the run, but were solely geared toward stopping the Bengals receivers.

Mixon scored 10 TD's on 317 touches
Perine scored 7 TD's.. on 155 touches
Boyd.. scored 5 TD's.. on 58 touches  

He is just not earning his  $12.7 million a year regardless of the thuggish publicity he brings to the table.  That's not even factoring that he can't block his way out of a saturated paper sack.

Now do expect him to run much better in a contract year but high paid RB's need to produce year in and year out.

Exactly

He's cooked his goose now most likely.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 03:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly

He's cooked his goose now most likely.

Yeah, saw the news the other day about Mixon getting recharged, but this is the first I have responded to it. I see us drafting a RB some
what early now, if Bijan is there, he is the pick at 28. In the 2nd or 3rd round we will be looking at RB's extensively, Charbonnet, Gibbs, 
Spears, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Roschon Johnson, Travis Dye will all be on our minds.

We will designate Mixon a June 1st cut after the Draft if we draft a couple RB's which I expect. Soonerpeace was probably right about us 
restructuring his contract before all of this off field BS though. Also think the last concussions have messed with Mixon's head or something
like JJ22 said. No point in having that at RB with his production falling as a RB and his poor pass pro.
Reply/Quote
I think we'll draft a RB early, too. Depending on who's there, possibly in the 1st round. And, I'm betting there's a run on QBs in the 1st round, so we may get a stud at RB. Robinson would be a huge get. If he's there, we take him, no question. He probably won't be. But, I would be OK with Gibbs or Charbonnet, too. Cris Evans and Trayveon are still here, too.

I liked Perrine....a lot. But, although the Bengals did try to keep him, he was never going to be in a larger role in this offense. I don't blame him bolting for a larger role.

I wish Joe Mixon well. I never got the feeling he was Zac's guy. Now, there's an opportunity to move on from him. That said, if Mixon agrees to a huge pay cut, the Bengals might have to reconsider. There are a lot of big name RB FAs still floating around out there. Not all of them are going to be big money contracts.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 03:36 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I think we'll draft a RB early, too.  Depending on who's there, possibly in the 1st round.  And, I'm betting there's a run on QBs in the 1st round, so we may get a stud at RB.  Robinson would be a huge get.  If he's there, we take him, no question.  He probably won't be.  But, I would be OK with Gibbs or Charbonnet, too.  Cris Evans and Trayveon are still here, too.

I liked Perrine....a lot.  But, although the Bengals did try to keep him, he was never going to be in a larger role in this offense.  I don't blame him bolting for a larger role.

I wish Joe Mixon well.  I never got the feeling he was Zac's guy.  Now, there's an opportunity to move on from him.  That said, if Mixon agrees to a huge pay cut, the Bengals might have to reconsider.  There are a lot of big name RB FAs still floating around out there.  Not all of them are going to be big money contracts.

A RB/FB like Luepke in the mid rounds could also be on our minds in this Draft. Dude is 235 pounds and is a damn good blocker and can 
catch the ball out of the backfield. Just like Perine. Of the RB's after Bijan, I would like Tyjae Spears or Tank Bigsby in the 2nd/3rd rounds 
and draft Leupke later on. We would be stacked at RB and be allowed to let Mixon go no problem.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 10:27 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: For some that haven’t figured it out Joe is not very intelligent or have much common sense. He’s got an awful temper. On the other hand 99% of the time he’s kind and a wonderful teammate. Extremely respectful. He is a very talented football player. He’s not lacking in the physical abilities to pass block or the desire to protect Joe. He wants to excel. He’s just not very good at it.

He just can’t get out of his own way.

Huh?
Reply/Quote