Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Uh oh Joe Mixon
Mixon and Zeke are 2 different RB's, Mixon for his size is not a power back. Zeke is a power back. Do we need a running back that is better on the goal line finishing 1 and 2 yard runs or a RB because of pass catching ability is better from 20 to 20 yard line?

To those who say Zeke is done, he had 12 TD's rushing in 2022, Joe had 7 rushing Td's.

If we could get Zeke for 4 million and lose the 10+ million contract in 2023 and 2024 of Mixon, i would say yes do it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 04:06 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Mixon and Zeke are 2 different rB's, Mixon for his size is not a power back. Zeke is a power back. Do we need a running back that is better on the goal line finishing 1 and 2 yard runs or a RB because of pas catching ability is better from 20 to 20 yard line?

To those who say Zeke is done, he had 12 TD's rushing in 2022, Joe had 7 rushing Td's.

If we could get Zeke for 4 million and lose the 10+ million contract in 2023 and 2024 of Mixon, i would say yes do it.

The problem as I see it, with signing a guy like Zeke who has a million miles on the tires, is no longer capable of being the 3 down featured back with any consistency.  If you turn him into the situational back, it kind of tips the defense as to what's coming by personnel package.  I might be more comfortable with this, if the Bengals OL takes that next step and can just line up and say "Yeah, we're going to run it down your throat. Try to stop us.".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 01:34 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It's actually "common sense".

Many of you seem to think he's easily replaceable, and he might be, but they aren't going to just cut him and go with that hole into the draft.  (barring legalities that is). To me it seemed like the plan was to draft someone this year and let them get up to speed and see if they can handle being the stater for 2024. 

Also not sure why you don't think the coaches are well aware of his stats and analytics and what he brings to the team.. that's kinda like their effing job??

Speaking of the coaches, tell me this,, how much do the coaches trust their 12m back in critical moments?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 01:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Actually someone else incredibly informed but not in the building but still just an opinion but one I’d take over 90% in the building.

You claim to know someone who isn't in the building but is more knowledgeable about the team than 90% of people in the building? Yet also claim to have no sources? 

You have been all over the place with this thing, so I am wanting to make sure that what you say is understood crystal clear. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 04:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Huh?

Joe is 6.1 220 lbs. Physically he’s as capable as 90% of the running backs in the NFL. But sometimes he blocks low when he should stay upright. Sometimes he doesn’t pick up the expected blitz and slow to react. He’s just not very good. Perine was much better but they needed to get Joe breathers any way and they liked their formula. Hope that helps.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 04:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The problem as I see it, with signing a guy like Zeke who has a million miles on the tires, is no longer capable of being the 3 down featured back with any consistency.  If you turn him into the situational back, it kind of tips the defense as to what's coming by personnel package.  I might be more comfortable with this, if the Bengals OL takes that next step and can just line up and say "Yeah, we're going to run it down your throat. Try to stop us.".

Mixon isn't a 3 down back either though so the point is moo. Last year Semaje played the majority of 3rd downs and Mixon was 1st and 2nd down. We pass the majority of the time anyways so regardless of what back is in there its not like they'll do completely different schemes. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 04:48 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You claim to know someone who isn't in the building but is more knowledgeable about the team than 90% of people in the building? Yet also claim to have no sources? 

You have been all over the place with this thing, so I am wanting to make sure that what you say is understood crystal clear. 

No I was messing with you. Go back and read them.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 12:45 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: What? Of course it does. 

RBs lost: Perine 
RBs signed: none 

That where things stand now. If you cut Mixon, we are down two RBs. 

RBs lost: Mixon, Perine. 
RBs signed: none 

If you sign Elliot, that plugs RB2 (Perine), but Zeke is not a lead back anymore. Now you need an RB1 because Mixon is gone. A role guys like Gibbs and Achane are too small to fill. An opening at RB2 is not the same as RB1.

Plus, you need to spend a medium/high pick on an RB, something that was not needed this year if Mixon was on the team, as Elliot/Fournette could have filled in for Perine. Sure, we COULD have picked a RB, but if Mixon's gone, now we HAVE to.

Why do you need to spend a medium or high pick?

Kansas City just won a Superbowl with a 7th rounder.

If Mixon is cut you have to sign a vet to replace him but still doesn't make RB a day 1 or even day 2 issue unless Mixon is cut and no one is signed to replace him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 04:49 PM)TheFan Wrote: Mixon isn't a 3 down back either though so the point is moo. Last year Semaje played the majority of 3rd downs and Mixon was 1st and 2nd down. We pass the majority of the time anyways so regardless of what back is in there its not like they'll do completely different schemes. 

It's not a moot point, it's the point exactly.  Do the Bengals want a 3 down featured back that enables them to run the entire playbook without having to use a sub, or do they want to continue to telegraph what's coming by personnel package?  And, Samaje Perine was more than just the 3rd down/change of pace back last year.  He also came in for entire possessions, even when Mixon was healthy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 01:10 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Actually someone else incredibly informed but not in the building but still just an opinion but one I’d take over 90% in the building.

[Image: 200w.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 05:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not a moot point, it's the point exactly.  Do the Bengals want a 3 down featured back that enables them to run the entire playbook without having to use a sub, or do they want to continue to telegraph what's coming by personnel package?  And, Samaje Perine was more than just the 3rd down/change of pace back last year.  He also came in for entire possessions, even when Mixon was healthy.

Samaje played more series this year for sure but Joe also had a concussion and missed more games. But third and short yardage or third and long yardage isn’t going to matter much in predictability by substitution. The Bengals are going to go to Chase, Boyd, Tee, or Hurst on most third downs. Short yardage lots of teams bring in their power back. Certainly ideal when you have no predictability I’d agree.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 04:50 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: No I was messing with you. Go back and read them.

You communicate like someone with ADHD who is 30 minutes late to one of the biggest meetings in their life. It's disjointed with inconsistency and makes no sense. This whole saga "Soonerpeace insider" saga started with folks questioning you after you mentioned that you hadn't heard from Perine's camp and other statements that gave the idea you had an inside track. You then backtracked on that idea, deleted posts and asked us to stop talking about it, finishing with you saying you were going to take a break. You also said you had no sources or connections. Now, you have someone who is not in the organization but knows more than 90% of those in the building.

Now, it was all just a joke, apparently. Lol. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 05:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You communicate like someone with ADHD who is 30 minutes late to one of the biggest meetings in their life. It's disjointed with inconsistency and makes no sense. This whole saga "Soonerpeace insider" saga started with folks questioning you after you mentioned that you hadn't heard from Perine's camp and other statements that gave the idea you had an inside track. You then backtracked on that idea, deleted posts and asked us to stop talking about it, finishing with you saying you were going to take a break. You also said you had no sources or connections. Now, you have someone who is not in the organization but knows more than 90% of those in the building.

Thanks for the synopsis

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 05:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: You communicate like someone with ADHD who is 30 minutes late to one of the biggest meetings in their life. It's disjointed with inconsistency and makes no sense. This whole saga "Soonerpeace insider" saga started with folks questioning you after you mentioned that you hadn't heard from Perine's camp and other statements that gave the idea you had an inside track. You then backtracked on that idea, deleted posts and asked us to stop talking about it, finishing with you saying you were going to take a break. You also said you had no sources or connections. Now, you have someone who is not in the organization but knows more than 90% of those in the building.

I'm glad you noticed that too. I thought I was going crazy. LOL I went to look for a post to quote and noticed that a bunch of the things he said-posted just disappeared into the ether. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 05:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Thanks for the synopsis

I'm impressed you even know what synopsis means. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 04:59 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Why do you need to spend a medium or high pick?

If Mixon is cut you have to sign a vet to replace him but still doesn't make RB a day 1 or even day 2 issue unless Mixon is cut and no one is signed to replace him.

But their plan coming into the season was to have a 1st RD RB as their starter; he just struggled with injury.

"Why do we need, it because someone else didn't" is just a silly argument IMO. You go into the season with the highest-ranked talent you can field. 

KC won with a 5th-rounder as WR #2. Should we part ways with Tee?  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 05:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not a moot point, it's the point exactly.  Do the Bengals want a 3 down featured back that enables them to run the entire playbook without having to use a sub, or do they want to continue to telegraph what's coming by personnel package?  And, Samaje Perine was more than just the 3rd down/change of pace back last year.  He also came in for entire possessions, even when Mixon was healthy.

2022 Bengals including playoffs...

Perine played at least 1/3rd of the offensive snaps: 11-1
Perine played less than 1/3rd of the offensive snaps: 3-4

And I don't think that's a shining endorsement of Perine, either. I think it's more a condemnation of Mixon because of the exact reason you stated of being able to use your entire playbook vs telegraphing. Mixon can't play when the game is on the line, so even if he WERE efficiently productive (he isn't), if he can't play when the team needs him most, what's the point? 

Even if there weren't all these off-field events surrounding him this offseason, and even if he weren't being well overpaid, I would still want to move on from him from a production and ability standpoint. Adding those previous two factors in on top of that just makes it a no-brainer.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 03:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, saw the news the other day about Mixon getting recharged, but this is the first I have responded to it. I see us drafting a RB some
what early now,
if Bijan is there, he is the pick at 28. In the 2nd or 3rd round we will be looking at RB's extensively, Charbonnet, Gibbs, 
Spears, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Roschon Johnson, Travis Dye will all be on our minds.

We will designate Mixon a June 1st cut after the Draft if we draft a couple RB's which I expect. Soonerpeace was probably right about us 
restructuring his contract before all of this off field BS though. Also think the last concussions have messed with Mixon's head or something
like JJ22 said. No point in having that at RB with his production falling as a RB and his poor pass pro.

Yep, a day two RB wouldn't surprise me at all. I say that because I highly doubt B. Robinson makes it all the way to us.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 04:59 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Why do you need to spend a medium or high pick?

True 

Yet New England won 6 SB's and TB 1 SB with a QB that was drafted in the 6th round, so why did the Bengals waste a #1 overall
pick on a QB ? 

Probably because it happens but doesn't happen that often.  Here are the top 8 RB's in the league (n order of finish) last year representing 25% of the 32 #1 backs

Name.......................................Round..........Overall

Josh Jacobs................................1st.......... .....24th
Christian Mccaffrey......................1st.................8th
Austin Ekeler....................................Undrafted
Derrick Henry..............................2nd ...............45th
Nick Chubb.................................2nd................35th
Saquon Barrkley..........................1st.................2nd
Dalvin Cook.................................2nd...............45th
Aaron Jones.................................5th................182      

Don't think the Bengals have to go RB in 1st or 2nd round even though 75% of the top RB's last year came from those rounds, but they have a better chance of striking gold if they do. Would say it will all hinge on who they like though. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 05:46 PM)Go Cards Wrote: True 

Yet New England won 6 SB's and TB 1 SB with a QB that was drafted in the 6th round, so why did the Bengals waste a #1 overall
pick on a QB ? 

Probably because it happens but doesn't happen that often.  Here are the top 8 RB's in the league (n order of finish) last year representing 25% of the 32 #1 backs

Name.......................................Round..........Overall

Josh Jacobs................................1st.......... .....24th
Christian Mccaffrey......................1st.................8th
Austin Ekeler....................................Undrafted
Derrick Henry..............................2nd ...............45th
Nick Chubb.................................2nd................35th
Saquon Barrkley..........................1st.................2nd
Dalvin Cook.................................2nd...............45th
Aaron Jones.................................5th................182      

Don't think the Bengals have to go RB in 1st or 2nd round even though 75% of the top RB's last year came from those rounds, but they have a better chance of striking gold if they do. Would say it will all hinge on who they like. 

I think it all depends on how you rank your RBs, really. The concept with RB is a little different as they are easier to replace than, say, a QB. For instance, if we try to rank RBs by their efficiency (YPC), you get...

1. Khalil Herbert - 6th round
  2. Aaron Jones - 5th round
  3. Tony Pollard - 4th round
  4. Travis Etienne - 1st round
  5. Nick Chubb - 2nd round
  6. Rhamondre Stevenson - 4th round
  7. Josh Jacobs - 1st round
  8. Miles Sanders - 2nd round
  9. Tyler Allgeier - 5th round
  10. Raheem Mostert - UDFA
I would agree that like all other positions, you higher you select, the better your chances are of the guy being good but you can also invest late round picks into RBs and strike gold more often than most other positions, especially if your OL is up to par. 

That kind of makes it difficult for us, doesn't it? Lol.
Reply/Quote