Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Uh oh Joe Mixon
(04-09-2023, 01:16 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You’re the one who suggested it. Or care to explain what you meant by , , ,

So he sucks at pass protection, but he is just as physically capable of pass protection as 90% of NFL backs because he is 6’1” and 220 lbs? What is that supposed to mean?

I explained it. Go back and read what I said.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 01:35 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I explained it. Go back and read what I said.

I did. Even quoted it for you as evidence. I’m sure you believe you explained it. Problem is, I don’t understand your explanation. Maybe you could explain it in a different way because I’m trying to understand?
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 10:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So blocking is 90% height and weight?

Did you double check with your friend who isn’t in the building for his opinion before answering?

(04-09-2023, 01:16 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You’re the one who suggested it. Or care to explain what you meant by , , ,

So he sucks at pass protection, but he is just as physically capable of pass protection as 90% of NFL backs because he is 6’1” and 220 lbs? What is that supposed to mean?

(04-09-2023, 01:58 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I did. Even quoted it for you as evidence. I’m sure you believe you explained it. Problem is, I don’t understand your explanation. Maybe you could explain it in a different way because I’m trying to understand?

? what's with the lack of common sense in here anymore?
Obviously he's saying that Mixon has the size to be an effective pass blocker, but he's just not good at it.

I'm not sure what some of your problems is, i take his insider info with a grain of salt. You should too. It's not like people can't have friends that are close/knowledgeable on things and like to be heard, whether they are truly knowledgeable or not. Perine's Aunt lives and works here in Cincinnati, in fact, she worked with my mother for 10+ years. So it's not impossible for people to have a connection, especially if we are drafting/signing guys that are actually from Ohio/Cincinnati area. Perine wants to be a lead back, it's rather obvious he felt he wouldn't have that opportunity here so he signed with a team where he felt he had a better opportunity.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 03:38 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: ? what's with the lack of common sense in here anymore?
Obviously he's saying that Mixon has the size to be an effective pass blocker, but he's just not good at it.

I'm not sure what some of your problems is, i take his insider info with a grain of salt. You should too. It's not like people can't have friends that are close/knowledgeable on things and like to be heard, whether they are truly knowledgeable or not. Perine's Aunt lives and works here in Cincinnati, in fact, she worked with my mother for 10+ years. So it's not impossible for people to have a connection, especially if we are drafting/signing guys that are actually from Ohio/Cincinnati area. Perine wants to be a lead back, it's rather obvious he felt he wouldn't have that opportunity here so he signed with a team where he felt he had a better opportunity.

Actually, he wrote Mixon has the “ability” to pass block, but he isn’t good at it. To me, if you aren’t good at pass blocking I wouldn’t count pass blocking as an ability. Quite the opposite, that’s a lack of an ability. Mixon lacks the ability to pass block, by his own admission. He even provided multiple examples of how Mixon lacks the ability to pass block. Size and ability are two different attributes as I pointed out with the Adeniji and Munoz comparison. Mixon is a prime example of my point. I don’t equate a player’s size as synonymous with their skill level or vice versa.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 04:38 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Actually, he wrote Mixon has the “ability” to pass block, but he isn’t good at it. To me, if you aren’t good at pass blocking I wouldn’t count pass blocking as an ability. Quite the opposite, that’s a lack of an ability. Mixon lacks the ability to pass block, by his own admission. He even provided multiple examples of how Mixon lacks the ability to pass block. Size and ability are two different attributes as I pointed out with the Adeniji and Munoz comparison. Mixon is a prime example of my point. I don’t equate a player’s size as synonymous with their skill level or vice versa.

Mixon can do it, he's done it before, so doesn't that mean the ability is there, he's not consistently good at it. due to what ever reasons, not working on it etc. 
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 04:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Joe is 6.1 220 lbs. Physically he’s as capable as 90% of the running backs in the NFL. But sometimes he blocks low when he should stay upright. Sometimes he doesn’t pick up the expected blitz and slow to react. He’s just not very good. Perine was much better but they needed to get Joe breathers any way and they liked their formula. Hope that helps.

Believe Mixon's recent play can be summarized in this one sentence he provided

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 01:58 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I did. Even quoted it for you as evidence. I’m sure you believe you explained it. Problem is, I don’t understand your explanation. Maybe you could explain it in a different way because I’m trying to understand?

It’s not important
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 08:04 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree and am on record so many times as saying that RB's and WR's are the easiest to find in the draft that are NFL ready. 

But would add that you named 7 players that were not on my list, of those you brought to the table, 

they averaged 200 carries a year compared to 276 average of mine listed.  Also mine averaged 9.75 TD's a season compared to 5.7 of the new ones you added. So if we drop one of mine to make it 7 against 7 against yours added, on average it would be 1,292 more carries and 28 more TD's a year.  

So for example  lets take Swift who is #1 on your list compared to Henry who did not make your list

Swift..........99 -542.. yds..5 TD's ..........or
Herbert.....129 -731...yds...4TD's  are more valuable to their team than

Henry..... 349 -1,538 yds 13 TD's ........?

Pretty sure Henry was facing stacked boxes all day long with the defenses personnel geared toward stopping the run solely. Plus Herberts team only won 3 games and was never even in the race and certainly he got some easy yards against defenses with big leads that were willing to give up rushing yards to prevent home run balls being thrown. Not saying he is bad by any means but don't think he was more valuable to his team last year than the ones I listed. Maybe next year he will be though.

Anyway really do agree with your analogy mostly and thank you for adding, but don't believe it tells the whole story as mere stats never do.

Enjoy your posts even though you may think I don't. You bring much to the table that is very useful. 

Sorry had to edit missed Swift, oops seen you edited Swift in recently. Now have both your #1 listed in comparison and thinking Swift would bring their average carries below 200 a year too

Yeah, it all really depends on what you want from your RB. Henry is Henry because he was able to maintain high volume with high efficiency. Dude was just crazy. He's on the decline now but he is still a very good back and is able to churn out yardage. Let's keep in mind that the Tenn o-line wasn't very good last season, too. A lot of those guys listed have lower carries but with higher efficiency, it ends up working out well. They may be the "lead" back of a committee, but I am fine with that and it is really the way the NFL has shifted. Bellcow guys aren't as common as they once were. 

Appreciate the bottom two sentences. I have no ill thoughts towards you. You're a great poster, as with most others on here. 
Reply/Quote
Still say if an upgrade falls to them in the draft, they’ll ask Mixon to take a pay cut to stay. If he doesn’t want to, they’ll cut him. When they cut him is the real question. They may eat some cap space to cut him sooner than later because they want to give him time and a chance to hook up with another team. If not, they’ll cut him after June.

Only reasons I believe any of that, the way the Bengals tend to operate. The way they really haven’t kicked any of the top RBs on the market right now.

The draft is the key.

Everything else is just noise. Joe hit his inevitable RB “Wall”! Didn’t help he has a tendency to wave a gun around every time he gets irritated.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 06:23 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Mixon can do it, he's done it before, so doesn't that mean the ability is there, he's not consistently good at it. due to what ever reasons, not working on it etc. 

You can be able... but you have to be willing. Mixon often is just not willing to do it.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 05:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not a moot point, it's the point exactly.  Do the Bengals want a 3 down featured back that enables them to run the entire playbook without having to use a sub, or do they want to continue to telegraph what's coming by personnel package?  And, Samaje Perine was more than just the 3rd down/change of pace back last year.  He also came in for entire possessions, even when Mixon was healthy.

When debating adding Zeke with our current RB room it is a moot point because Mixon also isn't a 3 down back The only option we have to get a regular 3 down back is the draft. And then we're hoping a rookie will be able to block and the coaching staff will probably take a bit to gain that trust. 

Zeke is pretty much the same as Perine at this point. You don't want him playing all 3 downs but he can for a series or few, he's a good blocker, and can catch out of the backfield. 

I'd rather have Zeke and a good rookie than Mixon and a good rookie. If we're keeping Mixon though I'd rather have Zeke as well compared to having plays be entirely blown up because Mixon can't block which we saw multiple times last year. Williams is going into his 5th year and has less than 50 rushes so im not putting any faith in him. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 10:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You can be able... but you have to be willing. Mixon often is just not willing to do it.

Yep, and that is inexcusable in my eyes. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 10:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You can be able... but you have to be willing. Mixon often is just not willing to do it.

That kinda falls under ETC..

via GIPHY

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 06:16 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: That kinda falls under ETC..

via GIPHY

That's actual training camp footage of Mixon demonstrating his blocking technique for Joe.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Mixon hasnt been cut yet because the team has no replacement for him right now. There is no rush to cut him. The team can do it anytime they wish. I would think they are waiting until after the draft and spring training to see who they get to replace Mixon. At that point Mixon will be cut unless none of the guys they bring in look like an effective RB.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 07:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's actual training camp footage of Mixon demonstrating his blocking technique for Joe.  Ninja

Ha!
Reply/Quote
I'm not totally sure about FA rules, but I've heard something about being able to cut someone before June 1st with a cut after June 1st designation. Does that mean that the Bengals can cut Mixon now and still save the $10.1 million dollars that they would save if the cut happened after June 1st, or that he counts against the salary cap until June 1st, but after that time, the cap space is open and they can sign other FAs, or what?
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 01:33 AM)dxdtdemon Wrote: I'm not totally sure about FA rules, but I've heard something about being able to cut someone before June 1st with a cut after June 1st designation. Does that mean that the Bengals can cut Mixon now and still save the $10.1 million dollars that they would save if the cut happened after June 1st, or that he counts against the salary cap until June 1st, but after that time, the cap space is open and they can sign other FAs, or what?

If a player is released with a post June 1st designation the money still stays on the books until after June 1st so counts against the cap until then.   A team can select a maximum of 2 players as post June 1st designations.  

Here is an article from Over the Cap that explains it in more detail.  But I've included a quote that addressees your question:

https://overthecap.com/explaining-the-post-june-1-designation

Quote:This is what lead to the NFL’s creation of the Post June 1 designation. What a team is allowed to do is declare a player a post June 1 cut and get the benefit of the June 1st salary cap treatment while also avoiding any offseason payments or guarantees from kicking in.

That being said there is a catch to this rule and this is often overlooked. The team has to carry a player at his full salary cap charge until June 1st even though he has been released from his contract. So the dead money split does not occur in March. It does not help the team create cap room for free agents. It simply gives the team more cap room to use during the rookie signing period and to function when cap accounting expands from 51 players in the offseason to the full roster during the season.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
~$7M cap savings to cut him before June 1, ~$10M cap savings by cutting him after June 1/
Reply/Quote
You guys are wasting your time with this. The guy wont even be on the team within the next month.

He is gone once they draft his replacement on April 27th - 28th.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote