Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Uh oh Joe Mixon
(02-21-2023, 03:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: https://www.sports-king.com/jerry-jones-jimmy-johnson-relationship-3384/

Aaron jones just took a 5m paycut to stay with the packers. Mixon may just need to do the same to stick with the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 12:44 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Aaron jones just took a 5m paycut to stay with the packers.  Mixon may just need to do the same to stick with the team.

That's a idea we've not discussed enough in our Mixon threads. He could take a reduced salary and remain with the team. I don't think Mixon will take such an approach, but it could be interesting to see if he does. Ultimately, I think the Bengals embrace loyalty and they'll keep Mixon with the team and let him play out his nice contract even if detrimental to the team's overall success.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 12:44 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Aaron jones just took a 5m paycut to stay with the packers.  Mixon may just need to do the same to stick with the team.

That would be the only way I would hang on to Mixon.

(02-22-2023, 10:07 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: That's a idea we've not discussed enough in our Mixon threads. He could take a reduced salary and remain with the team. I don't think Mixon will take such an approach, but it could be interesting to see if he does. Ultimately, I think the Bengals embrace loyalty and they'll keep Mixon with the team and let him play out his nice contract even if detrimental to the team's overall success.

Hope you are wrong and the Bengals change it up and don't be loyal to a fault like that. It has happened before but this is a new 
day for the Bengals. I hope it is either like Bengalbug said or he is cut, simply because of his poor pass blocking. Nothing against 
him as a runner or pass catcher, he is good there when he is behind the right scheme and the OL is playing decent.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That would be the only way I would hang on to Mixon.

Hope you are wrong and the Bengals change it up and don't be loyal to a fault like that. It has happened before but this is a new 
day for the Bengals. I hope it is either like Bengalbug said or he is cut, simply because of his poor pass blocking. Nothing against 
him as a runner or pass catcher, he is good there when he is behind the right scheme and the OL is playing decent.

Would you say Joe is worth 7m/year? 5?
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 10:07 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: That's a idea we've not discussed enough in our Mixon threads. He could take a reduced salary and remain with the team. I don't think Mixon will take such an approach, but it could be interesting to see if he does. Ultimately, I think the Bengals embrace loyalty and they'll keep Mixon with the team and let him play out his nice contract even if detrimental to the team's overall success.

Totally agree
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2023, 09:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No, you're confusing probable cause and reasonable suspicion. They are different standards. A person can go to court and sign a criminal complaint alleging just about anything. The kicker is this is a sworn document. That's reasonable suspicion and a warrant can be issued by the court. Probable Cause is established at the Preliminary Hearing where a judge will hear enough testimony to decide if there is probable cause to send it to the Grand Jury. At the Grand Jury, only the prosecution gets to present it's evidence, and the GJ decided if there is enough evidence for it to go to trial. I could go to the court this morning and state me and Psychdoctor got in an argument, and he pulled a gun on me. The thing is, I have to be willing to sign on the dotted line it is a sworn statement, and if I'm lying, I am subject to prosecution myself. 

Isn't it just strange that laws have clauses to preclude the innocent from bogus charges and there's a way to maybe determine who really is guilty as opposed to just making an accusation and having someone tossed in the hoosegow just because they might have given someone a dirty look? You'd think this day and age we could get just anyone tossed in prison for life on a whim, huh? I mean..I saw someone whose hair I didn't like the other day. Wouldn't it be more fair if I could have them executed and make their hair just disappear?  ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 06:01 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Would you say Joe is worth 7m/year? 5?

5 at most considering the most important part of his job he isn't good at...
Reply/Quote

They haven't done this for quite a few guys in recent years though.
One example is Bernard got cut in spring 2 years ago.
If a player can save a good chunk of cap and the team doesn't think they are worth the cost and can't find a trade partner, they've seemed more willing to cut compared to previous decades.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They haven't done this for quite a few guys in recent years though.
If a player can save a good chunk of cap and the team doesn't think they are worth the cost and can't find a trade partner, they've seemed more willing to cut compared to previous decades.

Good call. Bernard got cut and they also didn't stick with Huber all season long when he started struggling.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 02:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They haven't done this for quite a few guys in recent years though.

(02-23-2023, 03:04 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Good call. Bernard got cut and they also didn't stick with Huber all season long when he started struggling.

Nice. This is what I like to hear as I think this is the way winning organizations do things. Move on from good players right in time in 
order to improve the team. Similar to what Billy B has done in New England over the years. If Mixon doesn't want to restructure, cut 
him and add an OT like Bolles in a trade and a late round RB that can pass block.

This could also give us an option to cut La'el Collins if it looks like he isn't going to play at all next season and might give us some more 
dough to throw around to improve the team.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 03:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice. This is what I like to hear as I think this is the way winning organizations do things. Move on from good players right in time in 
order to improve the team. Similar to what Billy B has done in New England over the years. If Mixon doesn't want to restructure, cut 
him and add an OT like Bolles in a trade and a late round RB that can pass block.

This could also give us an option to cut La'el Collins if it looks like he isn't going to play at all next season and might give us some more 
dough to throw around to improve the team.

Forgive me, but we cannot cut Collins while he is injured. Right? 

He is gonna be on IR when prime FAs are signed (next month). So we cannot really use the $6 mil we'd save by cutting him to reinforce the team. So it does not make much sense to talk about cutting him when we cannot. 

If he got healthy and can play, then play him. But best case is in the fall, not now. Collins isn't going anywhere ATM. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 06:06 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Forgive me, but we cannot cut Collins while he is injured. Right? 

He is gonna be on IR when prime FAs are signed (next month). So we cannot really use the $6 mil we'd save by cutting him to reinforce the team. So it does not make much sense to talk about cutting him when we cannot. 

If he got healthy and can play, then play him. But best case is in the fall, not now. Collins isn't going anywhere ATM. 

I said in another thread, you're going to have to pay him something regardless, so might as well allow him to heal and be available towards the mid/end of year in case something happens with whoever is starting.  Williams/Carman LT, Rookie/Collins RT gives good depth at the edges. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Loyalty is a two-way street.  The Bengals paid 2022 Mixon top money to play like a bottom-rung RB, so I'd say it's his turn to show some sacrificial loyalty in 2023.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 06:06 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Forgive me, but we cannot cut Collins while he is injured. Right? 

If we cut him and there's an injury suit, does the money for that suit come out of the cap space?
Reply/Quote

You are correct. I think we can cut him and give him a settlement but that is way down the road. Personally, I hope La'el 
gets healthy and is around for a long time, but we cannot expect this with a big OL like him coming off of the injuries he 
had. So we have to at the very least Draft a RT early.

BTW, just saw a vid where James Rapien would consider us taking Bijan Robinson at 28. That would definitely be a so 
long pick to Joe Mixon.

(02-23-2023, 06:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I said in another thread, you're going to have to pay him something regardless, so might as well allow him to heal and be available towards the mid/end of year in case something happens with whoever is starting.  Williams/Carman LT, Rookie/Collins RT gives good depth at the edges. 

Yeah, La'el might be ready to go in the middle of the season. We probably keep him around and have a rookie or Jonah starting
at RT early and work La'el in slowly.

(02-23-2023, 06:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Loyalty is a two-way street.  The Bengals paid 2022 Mixon top money to play like a bottom-rung RB, so I'd say it's his turn to show some sacrificial loyalty in 2023.

Truth.
Reply/Quote
So now that we project to have an amazing offensive line healthy, does Mixon at 7M still sound bad for just one more year?

Mixon could absolutely explode this year behind our healthy line.

Keep a very good runner and one of the leagues best hands at RB or just dive into the draft and be ready to roll with Henderson?

At this point, keeping Mixon for 1 more year doesn’t kill us. I’d just keep him and hope he finds his stride
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:55 AM)Housh Wrote: So now that we project to have an amazing offensive line healthy, does Mixon at 7M still sound bad for just one more year?

Mixon could absolutely explode this year behind our healthy line.

Keep a very good runner and one of the leagues best hands at RB or just dive into the draft and be ready to roll with Henderson?

At this point, keeping Mixon for 1 more year doesn’t kill us. I’d just keep him and hope he finds his stride

Who is Henderson?
Do you mean Trayveon Williams?

I think Bengals probably draft someone anyway, and the drafted guy becomes RB2 (or even RB1 if Mixon is let go).

I agree though that keeping Mixon at this point doesn't kill the Bengals since Bell, Perine, and Hurst walked.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Draft is where we’ll see their plans on a RB. We’re not signing another high buck RB from the FA list. Mixon’s current status, I’d say he’s cut. Pay cut? $5M, maybe $6M? One year? Sure….why not!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:55 AM)Housh Wrote: So now that we project to have an amazing offensive line healthy, does Mixon at 7M still sound bad for just one more year?

Amazing probably is overselling. Regardless of that, to answer your question my vote is that still sounds bad for Mixon.

Mostly because it doesn't change the fact that Mixon can't block to save his life (or his job). He comes out of the game when a good RB is needed most, because he can't block. 2 minute drive before the half? He's normally on the sideline. 4th quarter comeback or game winning drive? He's normally on the sideline. Super Bowl on the line, he was on the sideline. At the biggest and most important times in a game, you'll be relying on his backup to help you win games.

Combine that with his lack of home run ability, running straight into the backs of his blockers rather than the hole, going down way too often from arm tackles (34th among 41 qualified RBs in yards after contact per attempt), and getting turf monstered by losing his balance more than anyone I think I have ever seen, and it's just time to move on. 

Sign a low cost backup and draft a starter.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:27 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Amazing probably is overselling. Regardless of that, to answer your question my vote is that still sounds bad for Mixon.

Mostly because it doesn't change the fact that Mixon can't block to save his life (or his job). He comes out of the game when a good RB is needed most, because he can't block. 2 minute drive before the half? He's normally on the sideline. 4th quarter comeback or game winning drive? He's normally on the sideline. Super Bowl on the line, he was on the sideline. At the biggest and most important times in a game, you'll be relying on his backup to help you win games.

Combine that with his lack of home run ability, running straight into the backs of his blockers rather than the hole, going down way too often from arm tackles (34th among 41 qualified RBs in yards after contact per attempt), and getting turf monstered by losing his balance more than anyone I think I have ever seen, and it's just time to move on. 

Sign a low cost backup and draft a starter.

Time to bring in the Zeke. May not be the runner he used to be, but he's still one of the Premiere blocking backs in the league.
Reply/Quote