Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undefeated Poll
Settle a semantics argument.

The Lions are 2-0-1 giving them a record of .833

Some say they’re undefeated because they have no whole losses.

Some say they are not undefeated because official NFL rules count ties as a half win and a half loss, meaning they have half a loss.

Your thoughts?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lions have won 2? Damn, I really have to pay attention.

To answer the question, a tie is a loss to both teams. Need to play until there’s a winner.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 11:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Lions have won 2? Damn, I really have to pay attention.

To answer the question, a tie is a loss to both teams. Need to play until there’s a winner.

I agree, a tie is still a blemish on the record.  They should fight to the death, just like in CFB.  They could play one full overtime period according to current rules, and then proceed to a "shoot out" style like in other sports, only continue the shootout until a definitive winner is declared.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2019, 09:46 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Settle a semantics argument.

The Lions are 2-0-1 giving them a record of .833

Some say they’re undefeated because they have no whole losses.

Some say they are not undefeated because official NFL rules count ties as a half win and a half loss, meaning they have half a loss.

Your thoughts?

What's the actual poll question?  Are you asking if we feel that a team with no-losses and a tie should be considered undefeated?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 08:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, a tie is still a blemish on the record.  They should fight to the death, just like in CFB.  They could play one full overtime period according to current rules, and then proceed to a "shoot out" style like in other sports, only continue the shootout until a definitive winner is declared.

Agree, there should be no ties. Start doing the college thing just start at midfield. 

But to the poll in my mind if you have a tie you're not undefeated.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 08:18 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree, there should be no ties. Start doing the college thing just start at midfield. 

But to the poll in my mind if you have a tie you're not undefeated.

That's right, you can't claim that you're the better team, when you've clearly been equaled.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2019, 08:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's the actual poll question?  Are you asking if we feel that a team with no-losses and a tie should be considered undefeated?

"Is Detroit 'Undefeated'"

So, yea exactly what you said, does a record of 2-0-1 make you "undefeated"
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I think the OP explained it.

In NFL terms they are not undefeated.

But at the water cooler Detroit fans can call themselves undefeated
Reply/Quote
Yes they're "undefeated". A tie is half a "loss" in technicality only, for standings and tie breaking procedures. 

If you have a 0 in the "loss column", you're undefeated. 

de·feat·ed
/dəˈfēdəd/
adjective
having been beaten in a battle or other contest.
"the defeated army"

A tie is not being "beaten".

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Half a win and half a loss.. nah.. It's just a tie and about as useful as a tie.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote