Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Undefeated Poll - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: Around the NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Around-the-NFL)
+--- Thread: Undefeated Poll (/Thread-Undefeated-Poll)

Undefeated Poll - BmorePat87 - 09-26-2019

Settle a semantics argument.

The Lions are 2-0-1 giving them a record of .833

Some say they’re undefeated because they have no whole losses.

Some say they are not undefeated because official NFL rules count ties as a half win and a half loss, meaning they have half a loss.

Your thoughts?

RE: Undefeated Poll - HarleyDog - 09-26-2019

Lions have won 2? Damn, I really have to pay attention.

To answer the question, a tie is a loss to both teams. Need to play until there’s a winner.

RE: Undefeated Poll - SunsetBengal - 09-27-2019

(09-26-2019, 11:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Lions have won 2? Damn, I really have to pay attention.

To answer the question, a tie is a loss to both teams. Need to play until there’s a winner.

I agree, a tie is still a blemish on the record.  They should fight to the death, just like in CFB.  They could play one full overtime period according to current rules, and then proceed to a "shoot out" style like in other sports, only continue the shootout until a definitive winner is declared.

(09-26-2019, 09:46 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Settle a semantics argument.

The Lions are 2-0-1 giving them a record of .833

Some say they’re undefeated because they have no whole losses.

Some say they are not undefeated because official NFL rules count ties as a half win and a half loss, meaning they have half a loss.

Your thoughts?

What's the actual poll question?  Are you asking if we feel that a team with no-losses and a tie should be considered undefeated?

RE: Undefeated Poll - bengalfan74 - 09-27-2019

(09-27-2019, 08:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, a tie is still a blemish on the record.  They should fight to the death, just like in CFB.  They could play one full overtime period according to current rules, and then proceed to a "shoot out" style like in other sports, only continue the shootout until a definitive winner is declared.

Agree, there should be no ties. Start doing the college thing just start at midfield. 

But to the poll in my mind if you have a tie you're not undefeated.

(09-27-2019, 08:18 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree, there should be no ties. Start doing the college thing just start at midfield. 

But to the poll in my mind if you have a tie you're not undefeated.

That's right, you can't claim that you're the better team, when you've clearly been equaled.

RE: Undefeated Poll - BmorePat87 - 09-27-2019

(09-27-2019, 08:13 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's the actual poll question?  Are you asking if we feel that a team with no-losses and a tie should be considered undefeated?

"Is Detroit 'Undefeated'"

So, yea exactly what you said, does a record of 2-0-1 make you "undefeated"

RE: Undefeated Poll - CKwi88 - 09-27-2019

I think the OP explained it.

In NFL terms they are not undefeated.

But at the water cooler Detroit fans can call themselves undefeated

RE: Undefeated Poll - rfaulk34 - 09-29-2019

Yes they're "undefeated". A tie is half a "loss" in technicality only, for standings and tie breaking procedures. 

If you have a 0 in the "loss column", you're undefeated. 

de·feat·ed
/dəˈfēdəd/
adjective
having been beaten in a battle or other contest.
"the defeated army"

A tie is not being "beaten".

RE: Undefeated Poll - grampahol - 09-30-2019

Half a win and half a loss.. nah.. It's just a tie and about as useful as a tie..