Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unfortunately the time to make a coaching change was 3 years ago...
Unfortunately the time to make a coaching change was 3 years ago...when we had an elite roster and the perception around the league was that we drafted well.

That was the time to go with a Zimmer or try to get a Gruden. When you have a Top 3 roster in the NFL.

Now our roster isn't talented and will likely require rebuilding...which will limit the quality of the coach that wants to come here.

When Jay Gruden was the OC...maybe Jon Gruden would have came here? Now...you're looking at Guenther, Coyle, or similar.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 11:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Unfortunately the time to make a coaching change was 3 years ago...when we had an elite roster and the perception around the league was that we drafted well.

That was the time to go with a Zimmer or try to get a Gruden. When you have a Top 3 roster in the NFL.

Now our roster isn't talented and will likely require rebuilding...which will limit the quality of the coach that wants to come here.

When Jay Gruden was the OC...maybe Jon Gruden would have came here? Now...you're looking at Guenther, Coyle, or similar.

This shit just pisses me off more and more.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 11:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Unfortunately the time to make a coaching change was 3 years ago...when we had an elite roster and the perception around the league was that we drafted well.

In all honestly I think there are plenty of coaches who would be interested in working with the talent of Green, Eifert, and Dalton.
Reply/Quote
I was all for a coaching change after that 2010 season. It seems a certain QB was hoping that would be the case as well...

But 2013 should have been the final straw. Oh well. Here comes a 7-8-1 season. :andy:
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:04 PM)NKYRob Wrote: In all honestly I think there are plenty of coaches who would be interested in working with the talent of Green, Eifert, and Dalton.

100% agreed.  I know it's a pipe dream, but I wonder what a guy like Mike McCarthy could do with that squad.  
Reply/Quote
The real problem is no top level coach wants to work for Brown. He is a horrible owner with zero football knowledge. Success starts at the top and through all the losing the one piece that is the same is Mr Brown.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:08 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I was all for a coaching change after that 2010 season. It seems a certain QB was hoping that would be the case as well...

But 2013 should have been the final straw. Oh well. Here comes a 7-8-1 season.  :andy:

Yep, we'll deadcat bounce our way into a shitty draft spot.  Honestly, this team shouldn't win more than 5 this year.....but they'll screw that up too.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, we'll deadcat bounce our way into a shitty draft spot.  Honestly, this team shouldn't win more than 5 this year.....but they'll screw that up too.

There is no way this team will get 7 wins this season
Reply/Quote

1.  We did not have a top 3 roster three years ago.

2.  We will still have more talent than most other teams looking for a new coach.  It is very very rare for a top Head Coach to be available at the same time that a top talented team needs a coach.

3.  Jon Gruden would have never came here as HC and he is not that good anyway.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:19 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: There is no way this team will get 7 wins this season

I agree they shouldn't.....but I've seen it one too many times before.....get mathematically eliminated.....then go on a tear and muck up the draft spot! LMAO

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:16 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: The real problem is no top level coach wants to work for Brown. He is a horrible owner with zero football knowledge. Success starts at the top and through all the losing the one piece that is the same is Mr Brown.

If this is true then it shows what a truly amazing head coach Marvin Lewis really is.

But I don't think that is 100% true.  i think lots of coaches would jump at the chance to coach the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 3.  Jon Gruden would have never came here as HC and he is not that good anyway.

.....and yet even he knew Ogbuehi sucks, we should have been hustling at the end of the 1st half, and that 55 shouldn't have been 1 on 1 with a WR on the goal line. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:04 PM)NKYRob Wrote: In all honestly I think there are plenty of coaches who would be interested in working with the talent of Green, Eifert, and Dalton.

How about with a team where the GM hasn't won a playoff game in 24+ years?
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If this is true then it shows what a truly amazing head coach Marvin Lewis really is.

But I don't think that is 100% true.  i think lots of coaches would jump at the chance to coach the Bengals.

People in the NFL remember in the 80's when Brown tried to black list Bill Walsh because he didn't give him the head coaching job in Cincy, and Walsh left. People respected Walsh and thought Brown was classless in the incident. Well Walsh went on to win a couple of Super Bowl and is in the HOF and considered to be one of the best coaches ever. While Brown is known as one of the worst owners in the NFL. Look this teams history is terrible. All these years in the NFL and they only have one player in the HOF, and I believe that is because of Brown and his lack of knowledge of football. But to the point I don't think a stud coach would like to work for Brown.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 02:40 PM)cincyfan429 Wrote: People in the NFL remember in the 80's when Brown tried to black list Bill Walsh because he didn't give him the head coaching job in Cincy, and Walsh left. People respected Walsh and thought Brown was classless in the incident. Well Walsh went on to win a couple of Super Bowl and is in the HOF and considered to be one of the best coaches ever. While Brown is known as one of the worst owners in the NFL. Look this teams history is terrible. All these years in the NFL and they only have one player in the HOF, and I believe that is because of Brown and his lack of knowledge of football. But to the point I don't think a stud coach would like to work for Brown.

Totally agree with your sentiment, but that was Paul.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If this is true then it shows what a truly amazing head coach Marvin Lewis really is.

From an individual talent perspective, I think the Bengals would be more attractive than many other openings.  I believe the wild card is Mike Brown and how much input does he have over the day to day operations at this point.  I think there are a lot of higher profile coaches who would not want to deal with him.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 02:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Totally agree with your sentiment, but that was Paul.

Talk about the mammoth mistakes in football history  Sad
Reply/Quote
3? We should've cleaned house when Palmer retired
Reply/Quote
I actually just asked Jim O whether or not he thought the Bengals would be a good option for a new HC and he said.

Quote:Regardless of the reality of the situation let's just say that the Bengals are looking for a new HC at the end of the season. How attractive do you think the Bengals would be to a coach who is looking for a HC gig? Some argue that we have no talent but I disagree there. Between the players and the fact that the ownership is gonna give you a real chance to build a team (Meaning you won't be canned after the first bad season.) I think this would be a mouth watering situation for a fresh HC.

One, 100% attractive because it’s one of 32. There are 64 coordinators who would take the job + XX number of other position coaches + however many of other college coaches and those former coaches who are unemployed.

I love Hue J. but he went to Cleveland rather than sticking it out another year to see what else opened up. I think that’s says all you need to know about how desirable any head coaching job is.

Now, let’s talk reality: That coach would have to be OK with the very unique personnel set up here. Duke Tobin isn’t the standard GM. The family still has say. Same with the unique scouting situation.

Would the front office just grant the trust off the jump re: the personnel influence Marvin earned? I don’t know. Also, so many position coaches were just hired this year. They’re not going to just let a new HC whack everyone and hire an entire new staff. That’s also something some coaches wouldn’t be good with.

Then again, to your point – this organization is going to give you time. That’s the trade off.

Now, to the roster: Something has happened on the defensive side of the ball this year and perhaps some of the older guys have gotten old, fast. But Dansby will be gone anyway, as will Peko. Maybe Kirkpatrick. But Iloka, Williams, Jones and Rey were just re-upped. The other guys like Dunlap, Atkins and Johnson have years left on their deals. There is enough there to think this could improve with a good drat and another free agent move or two.

But any coach would look at Andy Dalton, who is still ascending, and say this is the best possible job out there (unless some other crazy opening happened, like in Green Bay). Any coach would look for the franchise QB. That sets you up for success. Then of course you’ve got A.J. Green locked up, a desire by the franchise to keep Eifert but at the very least he’s there for 2017 and 2018 (if you count the franchise tag). I’d think there would be some concern on the o-line, but Dalton is proving he can work around that.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Ask-Jim-Owczarski?pid=301619#pid301619

I can't say I disagree. You still have a lot to like.
Reply/Quote
This was a great except from Jim O on the board. It speaks to the challenges of a coach from last season:

Regardless of the reality of the situation let's just say that the Bengals are looking for a new HC at the end of the season. How attractive do you think the Bengals would be to a coach who is looking for a HC gig? Some argue that we have no talent but I disagree there. Between the players and the fact that the ownership is gonna give you a real chance to build a team (Meaning you won't be canned after the first bad season.) I think this would be a mouth watering situation for a fresh HC.

One, 100% attractive because it’s one of 32. There are 64 coordinators who would take the job + XX number of other position coaches + however many of other college coaches and those former coaches who are unemployed.

I love Hue J. but he went to Cleveland rather than sticking it out another year to see what else opened up. I think that’s says all you need to know about how desirable any head coaching job is.

Now, let’s talk reality: That coach would have to be OK with the very unique personnel set up here. Duke Tobin isn’t the standard GM. The family still has say. Same with the unique scouting situation.

Would the front office just grant the trust off the jump re: the personnel influence Marvin earned? I don’t know. Also, so many position coaches were just hired this year. They’re not going to just let a new HC whack everyone and hire an entire new staff. That’s also something some coaches wouldn’t be good with.

Then again, to your point – this organization is going to give you time. That’s the trade off.

Now, to the roster: Something has happened on the defensive side of the ball this year and perhaps some of the older guys have gotten old, fast. But Dansby will be gone anyway, as will Peko. Maybe Kirkpatrick. But Iloka, Williams, Jones and Rey were just re-upped. The other guys like Dunlap, Atkins and Johnson have years left on their deals. There is enough there to think this could improve with a good drat and another free agent move or two.

But any coach would look at Andy Dalton, who is still ascending, and say this is the best possible job out there (unless some other crazy opening happened, like in Green Bay). Any coach would look for the franchise QB. That sets you up for success. Then of course you’ve got A.J. Green locked up, a desire by the franchise to keep Eifert but at the very least he’s there for 2017 and 2018 (if you count the franchise tag). I’d think there would be some concern on the o-line, but Dalton is proving he can work around that.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Ask-Jim-Owczarski?pid=301619#pid301619
Reply/Quote