Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Unguardable"
On the "Locked on Bengals" podcast yesterday, I learned a couple things about Tyler Boyd.

One, he is one of the most outspoken players on the team. Jake and James raved about his willingness to talk to the reporters and always be "real" with them and not just speak in cliches. He was asked about his fellow receivers in camp and what has impressed him so far about rookie Tee Higgins, etc.

Boyd's answers were surprising. He referred to one of his fellow WRs as "unguardable". He said that word several times. Who was he talking about? Any guesses? (Scroll down)

It was John Ross. I also didn't know that he and Ross live directly across the street from each other. He said that the speed and change-of-direction ability of Ross at speed makes him absolutely unguardable. He was basing this on what he has seen this year. He went on to talk about Tee Higgins only saying that he had not seen him run routes accept for one day, hinting that he is injured. I guess that forced the Bengals hand a bit and they had to mention that he is fighting something (I didn't see what).

I fell in love with Boyd when he caught that 4th down TD against Baltimore and ended their season. I like him more every day and I think he will be a very critical piece of the offense under Burrow. Can't wait!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: On the "Locked on Bengals" podcast yesterday, I learned a couple things about Tyler Boyd.  

One, he is one of the most outspoken players on the team.  Jake and James raved about his willingness to talk to the reporters and always be "real" with them and not just speak in cliches.  He was asked about his fellow receivers in camp and what has impressed him so far about rookie Tee Higgins, etc.  

Boyd's answers were surprising.  He referred to one of his fellow WRs as "unguardable".  He said that word several times.  Who was he talking about?  Any guesses? (Scroll down)

It was John Ross.  I also didn't know that he and Ross live directly across the street from each other.  He said that the speed and change-of-direction ability of Ross at speed makes him absolutely unguardable.  He was basing this on what he has seen this year.  He went on to talk about Tee Higgins only saying that he had not seen him run routes accept for one day, hinting that he is injured.  I guess that forced the Bengals hand a bit and they had to mention that he is fighting something (I didn't see what).  

I fell in love with Boyd when he caught that 4th down TD against Baltimore and ended their season.  I like him more every day and I think he will be a very critical piece of the offense under Burrow.  Can't wait!

Get ready, the board haters of John Ross who openly root for him to fail will be attacking you soon.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
It ain't a Bengals offseason without the word "unguardable" being tossed around.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It ain't a Bengals offseason without the word "unguardable" being tossed around.

By a fellow player, though?  A guy in his WR room?  I was pretty pumped to hear that....
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Get ready, the board haters of John Ross who openly root for him to fail will be attacking you soon.

Somebody rang?

Not a huge Ross fan because I question his commitment to the team. However, I would love for him to prove me wrong.

Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:44 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Get ready, the board haters of John Ross who openly root for him to fail will be attacking you soon.

Oh goody, it is like Christmas in July.....Er, August. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:56 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Somebody rang?

Not a huge Ross fan because I question his commitment to the team. However, I would love for him to prove me wrong.

This is why I love the dog.  My most recent player that I was 100% against the drafting of was Joe Mixon.  I just didn't get it, and it was like the Bengals love the negative attention in the media.  However, Mixon has proven me 100% wrong.  He is not only a great teammate but when he slid on to AJ Green after that game winning TD against Atlanta, I saw the guy for what he is:  a guy that hates losing that is insanely talented and made a horrible mistake.  

I don't want Ross to succeed so it makes me look like a better talent evaluator.  I want him to succeed because it helps our team. 
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: By a fellow player, though?  A guy in his WR room?  I was pretty pumped to hear that....

Boyd said our offense could be top of the league in 2019, too.  I ain't rooting against the Bengals, I'm just saying the guy has shown he has a flair for hyperbole.
Reply/Quote
I love Tyler Boyd's moxie, but John Ross's own hands and head "guard" him quite nicely. I keep hearing that Ross's confidence was hurt early on... Maybe Tyler is trying to build him up.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

It's not that I don't like him. He just can't get on the field.  "Unguardable" is something I'd rather see than hear.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 02:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Boyd said our offense could be top of the league in 2019, too.  I ain't rooting against the Bengals, I'm just saying the guy has shown he has a flair for hyperbole.

I must have missed that one, and I am not calling you out on rooting against the Bengals...far from it.  Not my thing, and everyone has their own way of loving their team....some want to scream and rant (been there) and some always seen the sky through Bengal Orange-colored glasses (been there more) but it isn't my place to tell others how to be a fan.

I guess you could have said the same thing last year before losing Green and Williams before the season and they sure looked damn good week 1, but I digress.  Boyd may be an optimist but I was excited to hear anything positive as the world seems so doom and gloom right now.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 02:12 PM)jason Wrote: I love Tyler Boyd's moxie, but John Ross's own hands and head "guard" him quite nicely. I keep hearing that Ross's confidence was hurt early on... Maybe Tyler is trying to build him up.

Perhaps, but I think a lot of the "hands" and "head" arguments are getting tired, like the Bengals in 2006 having so many arrests and thanks to the effort of many (PFT, ESPN, Blah Blah Blah) some will still parrot that lame argument today....14 years later.  

Here is what Ross did in 8 games last year:

28 receptions, 506 yards, 3 TDs.  

What he did NOT do was stay healthy for an entire 16 game season.  But, he did that without AJ Green on the field.  And he did it despite being often underthrown by Dalton.  It isn't so much his hands or his mental status as just being healthy at this point.  If you project those numbers across 16 games, you would have 56 receptions, 1012 yards, and 6 TDs, which we would all take from our #2 or arguably #3 WR.  
Reply/Quote
Ross has the potential to be a great receiver. He just needs to figure out the dropped passes.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 02:35 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I must have missed that one, and I am not calling you out on rooting against the Bengals...far from it.  Not my thing, and everyone has their own way of loving their team....some want to scream and rant (been there) and some always seen the sky through Bengal Orange-colored glasses (been there more) but it isn't my place to tell others how to be a fan.

I guess you could have said the same thing last year before losing Green and Williams before the season and they sure looked damn good week 1, but I digress.  Boyd may be an optimist but I was excited to hear anything positive as the world seems so doom and gloom right now.  

I hear ya, but it's not doom and gloom to say that we might not want to get our hopes up that Ross is going to be uncoverable.  I get the optimism, but a realistic approach is far from rooting against the guy.  I hope Ross is awesome, but we are getting closer to the day where we start to resent him for "getting in the way" of Tee Higgins getting his chance to shine.

So I'm not hating on Ross but I also wouldn't say "I think Tee Higgins should get to be on the field way more than Ross, and if you don't agree then you're just rooting for Tee to fail" either.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 01:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: On the "Locked on Bengals" podcast yesterday, I learned a couple things about Tyler Boyd.  

One, he is one of the most outspoken players on the team.  Jake and James raved about his willingness to talk to the reporters and always be "real" with them and not just speak in cliches.  He was asked about his fellow receivers in camp and what has impressed him so far about rookie Tee Higgins, etc.  

Boyd's answers were surprising.  He referred to one of his fellow WRs as "unguardable".  He said that word several times.  Who was he talking about?  Any guesses? (Scroll down)

It was John Ross.  I also didn't know that he and Ross live directly across the street from each other.  He said that the speed and change-of-direction ability of Ross at speed makes him absolutely unguardable.  He was basing this on what he has seen this year.  He went on to talk about Tee Higgins only saying that he had not seen him run routes accept for one day, hinting that he is injured.  I guess that forced the Bengals hand a bit and they had to mention that he is fighting something (I didn't see what).  

I fell in love with Boyd when he caught that 4th down TD against Baltimore and ended their season.  I like him more every day and I think he will be a very critical piece of the offense under Burrow.  Can't wait!

Boyd is one of the best Slot Receivers in the game with his crisp route running and hands. Ross just needs to get out on the field.
Reply/Quote
Wake me up when the Bengals offensive coaches actually learn to versify John Ross's role on offense . He's one if the few talents on offense that can make tacklers miss in openfield.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 02:47 PM)Burreaux Wrote: Ross has the potential to be a great receiver. He just needs to figure out the dropped passes.

This as well.
Reply/Quote

I don't think that I've ever "openly rooted" for any Bengal player to fail.  It's true that I hated the pick, and have been vastly disappointed at his lack of availability to the team, but I clearly see how dangerous of a weapon he can be when healthy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I've always felt Boyd is one of our more underrated players.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
John Ross is pretty unguardable on this forum lol

He’s gotta put it together during games, I’m sure he always looks pretty good on the practice field. Like many said, drops, mental errors, injuries, those are the types of things that have plagued him. At least after this year we will know where we stand with Ross. This is his no excuse rookie year after all!
Reply/Quote