Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United States Travel: Where have you been, and what is your favorite?
I thought that this might be an interesting topic for a thread.

Let's talk about your travel stories.

How many states have you been to?
What's your favorite place?
What's your least favorite place?
Where would you like to go, but haven't gotten the chance to yet?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll start it off.

I've been to 38 states, not counting ones that I've just driven through. The only ones east of the Mississippi River that I haven't visited are Alabama and Florida. I'm also missing Alaska and Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Arkansas. I've done some pretty cool stuff in each of the other states.

My favorite cities that I've visited are Boston and San Antonio. Boston has all of the US heritage stuff that I dig big time, and it's situated right on the ocean. It's kinda like a smaller, more unorganized NYC. San Antonio's riverwalk is one of the coolest things that I've done in any major U.S. city.

My favorite places overall, are Acadia National Park in Maine and Zion National Park in Utah. Both are some of the most unique things that I've ever seen.

Least favorite? Don't bother going to the cities in Michigan. I've been to Detroit, Flint, and Grand Rapids, and they're all huge dumps. The lakefront areas that I've been to are really badass though.

A place that I really want to visit is Hawaii, for obvious reasons. My wife and I are hoping to do that sometime in 2016.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I've been to every state except Idaho, Alaska, Delaware, and Colorado.

I love going to Arizona in general (Phoenix and Sedona in particular).  Northern California (the Bay area, Yosemite, Big Sur) is great.  The Pacific 1 highway is one of the greatest motorcycle rides you'll ever have.  I love the I 95 corridor on the east coast (NYC, Jersey, Philly & what not).  The US Virgin Islands are where its at as far as tropical destinations.  I liked them a lot more than Hawaii.  

I will agree with Johnny about the cities in Michigan, although I was excited to see the Motown studios, and it used to be really easy to go to Windsor from Detroit.  After Katrina I wrote up estimates for insurance companies in Mississippi, and Louisiana for awhile.  To be fair, the place had just been demolished, but that delta country down there is one of my least favorite places.  The humidity is brutal, and outside of New Orleans, there's not a lot going on.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 08:11 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I thought that this might be an interesting topic for a thread.

Let's talk about your travel stories.

How many states have you been to?
What's your favorite place?
What's your least favorite place?
Where would you like to go, but haven't gotten the chance to yet?

41. Haven't been to the North Dakota, Montana, Alaska, 6 states on the NE tip

North Shore, HI. Seeing the waves in NOV is amazing

El Paso, TX. Because my wife hated it. She couldn't get a decent and her husband was always sneaking down to Juarez.

Northern Alaska (Nome). It's on the bucket list.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I've been to most of the states east of the Mississippi except for Maine, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.  I've only been to one state west of the Mississippi and that was Alaska.  Honestly I think I've been to more foreign countries than US States. lol
Reply/Quote
I counted 17 states that were not just part of the drive. Kinda suprised, I thought I had been to more.
Favorite place is SoCal, specifically San Diego.
Least favorite - Detroit/Pontiac
Place that I want to visit - Seattle/Vancouver

Reply/Quote
25 ish.

Hard to pick a favorite.

I loved Colorado for the views, same with Arizona. Wyoming was awesome, really friendly people. Stayed on the Air Force base, so I got to meet lots of different people. And I've gotten into snorkeling, so the islands off the coast in Florida are great.
Reply/Quote
I've been to a whopping total of 12 states. Guess I haven't traveled much.

I suppose my favorite region is the Smoky Mountain area (Tennessee/N. Carolina). Also enjoyed Chicago when I was there. And I desperately want to visit NYC.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Have been to all states except Alaska, Iowa, North Dakota and Maine.

My favorite: Colorado, Montana, Wyoming...the beauty of that area is absolutely stunning.

My least favorite: any big city for more than a day....can't stand crowds.
Reply/Quote
I think I’ve seen more of the US than Canada. I love my city and Montreal is always fun, but other than that there isn’t much I’m itching to see here.

Where I’ve been in the US:

Boston MA once

NYC NY twice and going back at xmas. (Bucket list item is NYC for xmas)

Washington DC once

Myrtle Beach SC once

Orlando and Clearwater Beach FL once each

Buffalo NY several times (hour drive for me)

Cleveland OH twice (rock and roll hall of fame pilgrimage)

Chicago IL once (this is the nicest city I’ve ever seen and I can’t wait to go back)

Dallas, Houston, Austin, Galveston TX (Dallas several times and the others once each)

Las Vegas NV five times and I don’t remember any of them.

Just completed an LA to San Fran drive up the PCH and stopped in many cities. What a beautiful state Cali is. Fell in love with it. Fav place was probably Morro Bay or San Louis Obispo. Big Sur was magnificent. (and I hardly ever use that word)

Will be in Ann Arbor in Sept

Probably going back to Cali next May. Thinking of starting in LA and then going south to San Diego with some detours inland. The drive is only a couple of hours so i'll just hit the road for a couple of days....maybe palm springs?
Reply/Quote
Favorite place is probably Key West. If you cant relax and have a good time in that town then you are just incapable.

Least favorite place Ive been too is probably Vegas. Place is just so gimmicky and such a money grab. I found it to be highly overrated.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Never been to Hawaii, Alaska, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, or the 6 states east of New York. I have not spent a lot of time in all the other states states but I have at least driven though them.

Favorite places I have been are Canyonlands National Park in Utah, Crater Lake Oregon, Telluride Colorado, and New York City
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2015, 12:16 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Favorite place is probably Key West. If you cant relax and have a good time in that town then you are just incapable.

Least favorite place Ive been too is probably Vegas. Place is just so gimmicky and such a money grab. I found it to be highly overrated.

my old lady speaks very highly of key west.  I'm not a beach vacation kinda guy but she thinks this place will work for me because its not an all inclusive type thing you get in Mexico or Cuba or Dominican.

i can see how Vegas would be hit and miss for some people.  its an acquired taste for sure.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2015, 12:49 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: my old lady speaks very highly of key west.  I'm not a beach vacation kinda guy but she thinks this place will work for me because its not an all inclusive type thing you get in Mexico or Cuba or Dominican.

i can see how Vegas would be hit and miss for some people.  its an acquired taste for sure.

Get a house with a pool near Duval Street and you are set. So many cool little bars and such a laid back atmosphere. There are little beaches on the key but nothing to get too excited about. If youre going to Key West youre not going for the beaches. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Maine
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Virginia
Ohio (road trip to see Bengals at home vs Giants - long-ass drive)
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Florida
Hawaii
New Mexico

I intend to travel more now with my new job schedule.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Alaska Hands down
Reply/Quote
Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Virginia, West Virginia, Mass, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York (City), Illinois, Nevada, California..

My wife and I travel and play darts a lot...many of the states were weekend trips for tournaments, so not a lot of sightseeing....Las Vegas, Florida, California, KY ( Cumberland), Tenn (Norris), MI (West Coast) were vacation destinations and all have their own special things about them.

Whomever said bad things about Michigan have obviously never been to the Lake Michigan coastline...It is absolutely stunning...Go to that side of the state and start off around Holland then just follow M31 North, follow the whole Lake Michigan coast....Go up to Traverse City and then cut across and go to Mackinack Island and visit the bridge...I guarantee you will be fascinated and have a great time...

Now....The wife and I have been on about 15 cruises.... We love them and I know that they are not for everyone but you should try at least one to find out.. We were married on a ship (RC Explorer of the Seas) in St Thomas...We have been to Aruba, Curacao, Barbados, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, All of the British and US Virgin Islands, Grand Cayman, Belize, Yucatan, Costa Rica, Panama (Canal also), Haiti, Bermuda, Bahamas, and Key West. I think that we have hit the entire Caribbean and it was a blast!!!
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2015, 10:40 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I've been to a whopping total of 12 states.  Guess I haven't traveled much.

I suppose my favorite region is the Smoky Mountain area (Tennessee/N. Carolina).  Also enjoyed Chicago when I was there.  And I desperately want to visit NYC.

.....or you could be like me, and have your favorite haunts and you just stick to that....

For me, I've been to:

Alabama, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee, West Virgina, Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Washington, D.C.

My favorites out of those:

Bar scene is definitely the Nashville Honky Tonks on Broadway.....love it

Outdoors and nature (aside from the Red River Gorge in my own backyard) is probably the trip we take to the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia.  Beautiful, no litter, and so dark at night, if it's cloudy, and you get a few feet away from the fire.....you can't see your hand in front of your face.

Favorite states are the Carolinas.  They have it all.....mountains, plains, and beaches all in one state.  Love Hilton Head, Cherokee National Forest, and Darlington Raceway.

For my appetite for history, the trip to the Smithsonian alone is worth the trip to D.C., let alone all of the other interesting sites.  Savannah, GA is a cool old town too.

Least favorite?

Northern Indiana I guess.....man, that drive to Ft. Wayne is SSSOOOOOO long and flat.....nothing to see past Indy.  Florida would be a close second.  It's too damn hot and touristy!  Although, I'd probably dig the keys......furthest south I've been is Miami.

Bucket list:  Montana, Alaska, Maine, and Pacific Northwest.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Iowa, Illinios, Northern Indiana (Notre Dame to be precise), Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, Virginia-DC, and Florida. Haven't really been out of the midwest much. But for the upcoming Honeymoon, we are traveling to eastern Tennessee and the Smokey Mountains and then to Nashville so we can get them checked off the bucketlist.  Looking forward to the trip to the Rocky Top state. 

Outside of the country, I've been to Canada (twice), excellent fishing up there!  and once to Cancun Mexico.  Cancun was a great time, I had a lot of fun down there, but if we ever go back to Mexico, I want to go someplace different.  Cozemel? Cabo? Just someplace other than Cancun.

You guys who haven't been to Iowa, you should stop by sometime.  There really is a lot more to do in this state than grow corn and drive tractors.  And hey, you might all become Hawkeye fans after you leave too?  You just never know.   Rock On  
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio pretty regularly, Indiana, Tennessee, Florida, Nevada (Vegas), Missouri.

Kind of lame, but that's all I can think of (besides states I've driven through on the way to other places).
Reply/Quote