Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Up&Adams
Kay's got ur back.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
She couldn’t have said that any better.

Reply/Quote
I'm not one to harp on officiating because like I've said many times, it flat out sucks league-wide...but damn, last night's officiating certainly seemed blatantly one-sided. It was a terrible look for the NFL, and even fans and players of other teams seem to feel the same.
Reply/Quote
Kay did it good - the problem was not the calls themselves (except for the blatant crap they missed...) but in the total lack of consistency. Whether they did it intentionally or not it LOOKS a LOT like they had their thumb on the scale. I'll bet Saints fans today are identifying with us also as they likewise directly lost a Super Bowl appearance to bad officiating.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for this, Kay always makes me feel better. Zac said it right too. Love this team and our fans. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not one to harp on officiating because like I've said many times, it flat out sucks league-wide...but damn, last night's officiating certainly seemed blatantly one-sided. It was a terrible look for the NFL, and even fans and players of other teams seem to feel the same.

You know it's bad when Stooler fans are calling it out....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'd love to star in the next episode of Up-n-Adams
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
We had our chances and there were bad calls. But.. what drove me crazy was the number of time the refs are standing over the ball not letting it be snapped while the clock was running because they didn't have their s**t together. A second complaint was the lack of complete replays on some of the questionable stuff. I still didn't get a good angle on the play when Tee Higgins didn't get out of bounds on the 5 yd. line going into the half, and some freeze frames on the intentional grounding (or lack thereof) would have been nice.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:48 PM)puddycat Wrote: We had our chances and there were bad calls.  But.. what drove me crazy was the number of time the refs are standing over the ball not letting it be snapped while the clock was running because they didn't have their s**t together.  A second complaint was the lack of complete replays on some of the questionable stuff.  I still didn't get a good angle on the play when Tee Higgins didn't get out of bounds on the 5 yd. line going into the half, and some freeze frames on the intentional grounding (or lack thereof) would have been nice.

They were incompetent. I remember Joe Mixon being hit when he was two yards out of bounds near the goal line, and nothing gets called.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Kay's followup.   We felt the feels and now it's time to turn the page.  Take your label maker and shove it!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd love to star in the next episode of Up-n-Adams

I'd love to be in Kay Adams

SHOW! I'd love to be in Kay Adams' show! In an episode of her show. 

Whew. Nice recovery.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not one to harp on officiating because like I've said many times, it flat out sucks league-wide...but damn, last night's officiating certainly seemed blatantly one-sided. It was a terrible look for the NFL, and even fans and players of other teams seem to feel the same.

While I completely agree with this, I can't help but feel that the Bengals lost because KC was better on that day, not because of the officiating.  It was really, really bad, but they overcame it and were damn near there at the end to win it.  

My hope (and Zac said it very well, so I have faith in this) is that the team doesn't go on thinking they lost because of the officiating.  They lost because they couldn't protect Burrow, plain and simple.  Joe was still figuring it out and getting his ass beat along the way, but KC was simply better.  

The Bengals showed the same issues with depth on the offensive line, and maybe a bit at WR.  They will surely address these things again, and without an exploding internal organ to sidetrack his offseason for a month, I think Burrow will have these guys here again next year (maybe at home?) because he is simply that good.  

WHO DEY, and "wait until next year" actually means something now.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 11:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I completely agree with this, I can't help but feel that the Bengals lost because KC was better on that day, not because of the officiating.  It was really, really bad, but they overcame it and were damn near there at the end to win it.  

My hope (and Zac said it very well, so I have faith in this) is that the team doesn't go on thinking they lost because of the officiating.  They lost because they couldn't protect Burrow, plain and simple.  Joe was still figuring it out and getting his ass beat along the way, but KC was simply better.  

The Bengals showed the same issues with depth on the offensive line, and maybe a bit at WR.  They will surely address these things again, and without an exploding internal organ to sidetrack his offseason for a month, I think Burrow will have these guys here again next year (maybe at home?) because he is simply that good.  

For sure

I think we got hosed on the officiating, quite a bit as well, however. That's not the "real" reason we lost. Like you say and me and many others. We lost because the Oline, once again, got beat like a drum.

I pray the do some serious addressing of the Oline this offseason. We're not in as bad a shape as we were after the Super Bowl. But IMHO we still need a good bit of help.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 11:35 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For sure

I think we got hosed on the officiating, quite a bit as well, however. That's not the "real" reason we lost. Like you say and me and many others. We lost because the Oline, once again, got beat like a drum.

I pray the do some serious addressing of the Oline this offseason. We're not in as bad a shape as we were after the Super Bowl. But IMHO we still need a good bit of help.

It's true, but I don't think that happens if they didn't lose Cappa and Collins.  It happens.  It happened to the Chiefs when they were far superior to the Bucs but lost to Brady and company because they had lost so many linemen and couldn't protect Mahomes.  The difference was that game was a blowout and this one was really close.  

My dream is they get another fairly big name vet to come in and compete for the RT job.  If Collins is healthy and 100%, but him at guard.  I think he is better suited as a mauler than a dancer anyways.  Volson is quality depth and a great find, but can you imagine an offensive line with:

Carman (I think he is a pretty good LT and held up well in just two starts)
Cappa (pretty sure he could play the left side)
Karras 
Collins
FA with PFF rating above 70 in run and pass protection.

Of course, they will likely also draft a tackle to develop, but I see secondary as their biggest need right now, which is probably harder to get a vet in FA.  

I think Adeniji's ship might have sailed.  I haven't broken down how many of his snaps were against Chris Jones, and maybe it was a lot, but you simply can't give up 3 sacks in a game and something like 7 pressures.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It's true, but I don't think that happens if they didn't lose Cappa and Collins.  It happens.  It happened to the Chiefs when they were far superior to the Bucs but lost to Brady and company because they had lost so many linemen and couldn't protect Mahomes.  The difference was that game was a blowout and this one was really close.  

My dream is they get another fairly big name vet to come in and compete for the RT job.  If Collins is healthy and 100%, but him at guard.  I think he is better suited as a mauler than a dancer anyways.  Volson is quality depth and a great find, but can you imagine an offensive line with:

Karras 
Collins

Of course, they will likely also draft a tackle to develop, but I see secondary as their biggest need right now, which is probably harder to get a vet in FA.  

I think Adeniji's ship might have sailed.  I haven't broken down how many of his snaps were against Chris Jones, and maybe it was a lot, but you simply can't give up 3 sacks in a game and something like 7 pressures.  

Exactly. No one losing three OL starters just keeps on trucking. With our starters (especially Cappa) we win that game handily. 

I expect we will see more $$$ and picks go to more work on the OL. I would think and hope this is the end of Adeniji. Collins deal is structured so if we part ways the cap hit is not huge - and if they go OT in Rds 1 or 2 that may be the plan. They aren't going to stab Volson in the back when they like his work and like all coaches don't care about PFF synthetic ratings. So depending on Williams health you're most likely looking at:

LT: Williams/Carman
LG: Volson
C: Karras
RG: Cappa
RT: ???
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 10:57 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I'd love to be in Kay Adams

SHOW! I'd love to be in Kay Adams' show! In an episode of her show. 

Whew. Nice recovery.
I agree 110% All up in it......the show.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 11:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I completely agree with this, I can't help but feel that the Bengals lost because KC was better on that day, not because of the officiating.  It was really, really bad, but they overcame it and were damn near there at the end to win it.  

Yeah, they didn't lose because of officiating, but it certainly didn't make things any easier. 

They had a couple opportunities to take the lead in the 4th and just couldn't get it done. They came up short at the end of the day, but beating a team like the Chiefs 4 times in a row, and twice in a row in their house in the AFCCG is a tough task. I personally think the Bengals are every bit as good as the Chiefs. When you have 2 great teams going against other so often (4 times in just over a year)...you're not going to win them all. 

Everything they do this offseason needs to be geared towards getting the #1 seed next season. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 03:55 AM)Roland Wrote: Kay's followup.   We felt the feels and now it's time to turn the page.  Take your label maker and shove it!

I've never seen a team get dragged so hard for not making consecutive Super Bowls haha. How could people possibly be labeling the Bengals, Super Bowl 1 year, AFCCG the next and almost winning it, as anything other than a team of winners?

Blows my mind.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 01:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, they didn't lose because of officiating, but it certainly didn't make things any easier. 

They had a couple opportunities to take the lead in the 4th and just couldn't get it done. They came up short at the end of the day, but beating a team like the Chiefs 4 times in a row, and twice in a row in their house in the AFCCG is a tough task. I personally think the Bengals are every bit as good as the Chiefs. When you have 2 great teams going against other so often (4 times in just over a year)...you're not going to win them all. 

Everything they do this offseason needs to be geared towards getting the #1 seed next season. 

I think some people lose sight of this. 

Think about past Bengals teams before Burrow. What are the chances they go to two straight AFCCGs and a SB and play the best teams in the league and beat them more often than not? And all done with a sub-par offensive line. It's pretty damn impressive if you sit back and think about it. 

To answer my question, i would put it solidly at 0% based on the past 30+ years of history with this franchise. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 11:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It's true, but I don't think that happens if they didn't lose Cappa and Collins.  It happens.  It happened to the Chiefs when they were far superior to the Bucs but lost to Brady and company because they had lost so many linemen and couldn't protect Mahomes.  The difference was that game was a blowout and this one was really close.  

Karras 
Collins

Great post. Yes, would like to add a RT in FA. Collins I believe has also played LG before so might be able to leave Cappa right where
he is at. Also agree with your earlier post that the officiating wasn't the reason we lost. That was a tough task to do if we were healthy,
to go into Arrowhead and beat the Chiefs 4 times in a row, the bad OL was the reason we lost and the refs just a topper.

Will watch Kay's follow up a bit later...
Reply/Quote