Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update On Burrow's Extension
(04-07-2023, 09:01 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

I've seen that and the reason he is stating a smaller deal its so Joe Burrow can get a 3rd deal saying the Patrick Mahomes deal is more of an anomoly like the Deshaun Watson deal. What he neglects to mention is more money can go into the Patrick Mahomes deal later if they want it to whlie keeping the cap down.

I expect at least a 6 year extension on top of the 2 years remaining so 8 years.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:01 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

I feel like 4 years would be on the shorter side of what I would have expected. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 08:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I whole heartedly disagree. He wants to turn the Bengals into a multiple Super Bowl winning organization. 

To your last statement, I would say "Exactly!"

I agree. He'd want to make any team a SB contender though. 

I hope he signs like an 8-10 year deal. A 4 year deal is going to prompt speculation that he's going to pull a Lebron and leave when it's up.

But, if I'm him, I go 4 years so I can sign a huge one when it's up.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:22 AM)Garrus Wrote: I feel like 4 years would be on the shorter side of what I would have expected. 

I'm reading that players don't really like the 10 year deals that Mahomes signed. They're incredibly team favorable deals.

The QB market is always hot and when the contract is up, he could sign a $70 million a year deal possibly.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 08:25 PM)TheFan Wrote: I don't get why people keep saying his career could end on any play (how many QBs has that ever happened to?) or how it's relevant to his contract. I would imagine the guaranteed amount of money from the Bengals isn't going to change. So after he signs it, regardless he's going to get 200 million or whatever is agreed upon. Its not like if he has a career ending whatever after signing he loses everything.

Just making a small comment here. I think that the frequency of such an injury is rather irrelevant - the fact that it exists is enough. This is the opportunity for these guys to make generational wealth and it is possible that an injury could derail their career. We're talking about a player who has already suffered a major knee injury and has admittedly been concussed bad enough to forget entire halves of games. That fact is a partial reason why players push for as much money as they can, specifically guaranteed money. It can all end very quickly. 

I also disagree with the idea that the "guaranteed money won't change". I may be misunderstanding your point, but I highly doubt Cincinnati walked in with an offer and isn't willing to change it. They are working with Joe more than Joe is working with them. He has all of the leverage. 
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 02:45 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m assuming you aren’t set for life after one year. Joe will be. Now I don’t begrudge a player making as much as they can, but there’s a point where you are going to make so much money no matter what, that other factors can come into consideration.

To the bolded, I agree - if the player cares about that thing. I am not saying you are doing this, but I've seen several fans that seem to have the idea that professional athletes are so much different than the rest of us. For some of these guys, if not a majority, money is the driving factor. We can ask "man, what is another $10MM?" and their answer would be "Another $10MM."
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:13 AM)Synric Wrote: I've seen that and the reason he is stating a smaller deal its so Joe Burrow can get a 3rd deal saying the Patrick Mahomes deal is more of an anomoly like the Deshaun Watson deal. What he neglects to mention is more money can go into the Patrick Mahomes deal later if they want it to whlie keeping the cap down.

I expect at least a 6 year extension on top of the 2 years remaining so 8 years.

Makes sense, expecting the same. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 08:55 PM)Nepa Wrote: Wrong. I have my whole life. I even asked for a significant pay cut when the nonprofit that I am working for was having tough times in order to help the nonprofit (and I've had the pay cut since). But the nonprofit has survived as a result. I have a Ph.D. in both biology and education and yet have lived paycheck to paycheck my whole life because of working for nonprofits, including spending two years overseas doing volunteer work. I went into education and nonprofits because I love helping others and because I have an understanding wife and family. 

And there are many, many of us in the nonprofit world with the same attitude. In fact, I think almost everyone at some of the nonprofits that I've worked at.

Not everyone is motivated by money, Jason. 

Thanks Nepa for making me feel better about people.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
5 pages and growing, and still no actual news. Yep, just speculation from a site that displays details of news that's already happened. Since we're all speculating, I'll throw out a "projection" of 6 years $330M, with $200M guaranteed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This deal is going to be massive Jesus Christ

Maybe he gives us a Brady discount on the third contract deal
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 06:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 5 pages and growing, and still no actual news.  Yep, just speculation from a site that displays details of news that's already happened.  Since we're all speculating, I'll throw out a "projection" of 6 years $330M, with $200M guaranteed.

10 years with a clean 600M and a 275M guarantee, and because Joe is just that kind of guy a good amount of money will be incentive based. If we don't win SBs he won't get paid as much, so we could grow the team around him. That's my "projection"
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 08:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not a good comparison at all. Joe is already a multi-millionaire, and could have a broadcasting job of his choice at the drop of a hat. Cook played in a time when he did not make much money and had no skills to carry him into life after football. Not to say Burrow shouldn't get what he can get, but the circumstances of where they are at in their careers and earnings is not even close.

Comparison to what? The question was asked what QB had a promising career ended in 1 play. Kinda think you're the first to bring up a broadcasting career. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:13 AM)Synric Wrote: I've seen that and the reason he is stating a smaller deal its so Joe Burrow can get a 3rd deal saying the Patrick Mahomes deal is more of an anomoly like the Deshaun Watson deal. What he neglects to mention is more money can go into the Patrick Mahomes deal later if they want it to whlie keeping the cap down.

The Mahomes deal may be an anomaly, but it's definitely a weapon in the AFC arms race.  Burrow can demand anything he wants.  He's earned it.  

He should think hard about it, though.  It's not about saving the Brown family money.  They will spend money regardless.  It's only a matter of how it's allocated.  iI's about Burrow's legacy.  If he takes the money and KC takes the Bengals to the woodshed for the next 5 years due to fielding a superior roster, that's gonna sting.  

We all currently view Joe as a guy that eats, sleeps and breathes to win meaningful football games.  Nobody will blame him if he cashes in.  Make no mistake, though.  If he signs a deal that cripples the team's ability to build around him, it will be the first blemish on his image since he arrived here.  It will make superman look like an earthling.  Everything will be fine for a year or so, but the time will come when Burrow will have to carry the team without big FAs and high draft picks.  Maybe he can, maybe he can't.  If he can't, it will be right back to "the Bengals are cheap" or "the Bengals failed him".  

In short, if he becomes the highest player in the league, he's going to have to be the best player in the league.  We know he can elevate the franchise, but we haven't seen him forced to carry it.
Reply/Quote
The reason i like the 4 year deal is kinda stupid and out there.

10 years is a LONG time to have a guy locked down.

Burrow could become an alcoholic or something crazy down the road and we’d be locked in. 4 years ensures he gets another huge deal and it gives us wiggle room.

And you never know. Maybe if we get a ring or 2 in those 4 years he’ll give us a discount on the next deal
-Housh
Reply/Quote
20 years 1.5 Billion. You heard it here first!

...this thread is a waste of time.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 09:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Comparison to what? The question was asked what QB had a promising career ended in 1 play. Kinda think you're the first to bring up a broadcasting career. 

Robert Griffin III's knee injury? 
Reply/Quote
Both sides will negotiate a good deal. I don't think the Bengals will overpay and Burrow won't accept a poor contract. An extension of 4 or 6 years seems reasonable. My guess is it will be huge whatever happens.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
JB has stated he’s an OHIO guy, wants to Play for the Bengals, and expects a long career. I think it will be at least a 10 year deal. I’m guessing. But, so is that Brad guy.
Reply/Quote
Tom Brady won super bowls because he took a lot less money than the rest of the league. That is what has made him the GOAT. Tom Brady didnt make 20m in a season until around 2018 or 2019.

Tom Brady took less for his play career but just signed a 320+ million dollar media contract that is worth more than his entire 23 season of playing. When you are a QB the money now is nice but legacy can earn you bigger pay days in the future.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 08:41 AM)Synric Wrote: Tom Brady won super bowls because he took a lot less money than the rest of the league. That is what has made him the GOAT. Tom Brady didnt make 20m in a season until around 2018 or 2019.

Tom Brady took less for his play career but just signed a 320+ million dollar media contract that is worth more than his entire 23 season of playing. When you are a QB the money now is nice but legacy can earn you bigger pay days in the future.

Well said.
Reply/Quote