Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update On Burrow's Extension
(04-06-2023, 01:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Gotta wonder if he wanted the short deal. I love the confidence in himself and I want him here but, like I said, I wonder if it ends up costing us at his next contract.

Burrow is probably in the driver's seat on Contract length. Both sides would have some risk. Burrow could get an Alex Smith type injury and end up wishing that he signed longer term. More than likely Contracts for QB's keep going up and Burrow can benefit with shorter contract lengths. The Chiefs just Won the Superbowl with a highly paid QB leading the way and Burrow seems capable of leading the way once he gets paid.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: And it's stupid for both parties but especially for us.

A longer extension would be beneficial for both so we're not going through this again in three years but especially us because Burrow might get the first billion dollar contract with the salary cap continually going up. 

Burrow doesn't seem greedy but this deal doesn't make sense to me.

(04-06-2023, 01:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Also, his next contract will give us less room to keep/improve the team around him.

Yes, I agree Brad. This doesn't make sense for anyone IMHO.

The longer the contract the better, so it is off everybody's minds for a long time, and we can just keep our eyes on the prize.
Reply/Quote
Maybe JB wants a 4 year deal here if the projection is even accurate. That would be 7 years in Cincy putting him at 30 years old. Maybe he figures that is long enough to try to win a SB or possibly two here. If the Bengals can't win a ring in 4 more years maybe he feels another organization could and may be a better fit elsewhere. Who knows what the team will look like or be in 4 years. Maybe he doesn't want locked in here long term.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 02:32 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Maybe JB wants a 4 year deal here if the projection is even accurate. That would be 7 years in Cincy putting him at 30 years old. Maybe he figures that is long enough to try to win a SB or possibly two here. If the Bengals can't win a ring in 4 more years maybe he feels another organization could and may be a better fit elsewhere. Who knows what the team will look like or be in 4 years. Maybe he doesn't want locked in here long term.

Depressing thought.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Yes, it is but the way players swap teams nowdays it wouldn't surprise me. Burrow is no dummy, he has to know the SB window here in Cincy is NOW while Chase and Higgins and the core of players they have are still here. If they leave and the team heads toward rebuild again they won't be a contender for years. I doubt he wants to be part of that.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Gotta wonder if he wanted the short deal. I love the confidence in himself and I want him here but, like I said, I wonder if it ends up costing us at his next contract.

This 4-year deal is just a projection. I cannot read if there is any substance to this, since it is behind a PFF paywall, but I expect it is simply speculation on their part.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 02:32 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Maybe JB wants a 4 year deal here if the projection is even accurate. That would be 7 years in Cincy putting him at 30 years old. Maybe he figures that is long enough to try to win a SB or possibly two here. If the Bengals can't win a ring in 4 more years maybe he feels another organization could and may be a better fit elsewhere. Who knows what the team will look like or be in 4 years. Maybe he doesn't want locked in here long term.

He is an Ohio boy and is on record saying he wants to retire here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 02:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He is an Ohio boy and is on record saying he wants to retire here.

Yes, and the FO has been great about doing all they can to keep this team a contender for Burrow and trying to protect him and keeping 
his guys around in Chase and Tee (to some people's dislike). I highly doubt Burrow wants a shorter extension, he wants to play ball without
any distraction is my bet. Heck, he won't even play golf in the Offseason or until he retires because he has to be the best at it and that would
distract him from being the best QB in the world.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 02:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He is an Ohio boy and is on record saying he wants to retire here.

The Taxes are not bad in Ohio compared to say New York or California.

I sense that Burrow has a Contentment Level when it comes to Money and likely enjoys leading his Ohio Team.

Making $50 plus Million per year and investing it fairly wisely (which he will likely do) should have him extremely wealthy for the rest of his life.

He doesn't seem Ego driven in the sense of needing to be the Highest paid QB over and over again.

He may give the Bengals a slight Team friendly discount or structure to keep the Team competitive but still get financial respect from the Bengals.

Burrow has it made and I think he knows it & appreciates it.
Reply/Quote
You guys are all correct, the FO has made an about face in building a solid team starting with Zac, then JB and all the FA signings the last couple years. Can't say they aren't trying but still no rings as the "Twitter Experts" say. Coaches, players, teams change yearly and the Bengals are no different. The money always seems to rule as we saw Perine, Hurst, Bates and Bell all leave for more $$, longer terms or guaranteed $$. Who's to say a team won't offer JB a contract he can't refuse or the Bengals can't match in 4 years if that's actually a close projection?

Probably a waste to even discuss it now as Joe will be here for awhile but I can't help thinking about the near future. Look how fast 4 years flies by.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 02:40 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Yes, it is but the way players swap teams nowdays it wouldn't surprise me. Burrow is no dummy, he has to know the SB window here in Cincy is NOW while Chase and Higgins and the core of players they have are still here. If they leave and the team heads toward rebuild again they won't be a contender for years. I doubt he wants to be part of that.

This would mean that his own words would ring hollow since he openly claimed that the SB window will always be open while he is QB. Is on record of saying that he wants to retire a Bengal as well. Not going to read anything into the contract rumors. His family lives in Ohio and suspect he is happy here. 

To earlier posts about not knowing his significant other Olivia. Not really into digging deep to learn their family and pets names unless they're famous in their own  right. 

Unless Olivia can block or catch for the Bengals, committing crimes, or is saying foolishness on social media to make the Bengals look bad, then will opt to give Olivia her privacy. 

Heck I did not even know AJ McCarron's girlfriends name who Brent Musburger made famous when he drooled all over the microphone during a prime time broadcast.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2023, 12:05 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Not giving you shit man, but how do people STILL not know that Burrow's g/f (fiancée now? Don't think yet) is Olivia Holzmacher?

https://www.instagram.com/oliviaholzmacher/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/oliviaholzmacher

Whenever his parents are shown at a game or tailgate or whatever, she's with them too.

And now she's going to get 300 notifications on LinkedIn that someone looked at her profile.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 12:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: From PFF. (This is their projection.)

• Joe Burrow on track to pace the 2020 class: The former No. 1 overall pick is projected to receive a four-year $214 million extension with $185 million total guaranteed at signing.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-projecting-early-extensions-2020-quarterbacks-joe-burrow-herber
Analysts and talking heads are notoriously wrong when it comes to knowing what the Bengals will do

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 04:10 PM)pally Wrote: Analysts and talking heads are notoriously wrong when it comes to knowing what the Bengals will do

Agree I really don't get why some are kind of making a big deal over this or taking it serious.   It's that time of year between the peak of free agency and the draft where things are slow and articles projecting all sorts of things are written for views because there isn't much else going on.   It's like some of the sites that post multiple mock drafts a week.   It's just talk and projections to get clicks and views. 

Plus I've been around here long enough to see people claim that PFF is either full of shit or correct depending on if it supports their argument or not and possibly the current moon phase and/or blood alcohol level.      Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 03:11 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: You guys are all correct, the FO has made an about face in building a solid team starting with Zac, then JB and all the FA signings the last couple years. Can't say they aren't trying but still no rings as the "Twitter Experts" say. Coaches, players, teams change yearly and the Bengals are no different. The money always seems to rule as we saw Perine, Hurst, Bates and Bell all leave for more $$, longer terms or guaranteed $$. Who's to say a team won't offer JB a contract he can't refuse or the Bengals can't match in 4 years if that's actually a close projection?

Probably a waste to even discuss it now as Joe will be here for awhile but I can't help thinking about the near future. Look how fast 4 years flies by.

There are two reasons Joe will leave. One is a rift with Zac/staff/ownership. The other would be his own family considerations. Those seems unlikely. Their family are Ohioans. Ownership has to give him a reason to leave. Players like Hurst & Perine aren’t hard to replace. Losing Bell and Bates rough but Bates was no way worth what he got and Bell they thought was too old for what he brought.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
If Burrow wants a shorter contract, and that's if..., it's because he's smart and knows the cap is about to go way up and he can cash in on bigger money in a couple of years. Nothing more than that. It's supposed to go up astronomically in the next couple of years. Signing a 10 year deal would be dumb.
Reply/Quote
No way it's going to be anything less than a 10 year deal, maybe even 12. Won't be fully guaranteed, but perhaps JB would ask for one of his charities to be funded by the Benagls for a long period of time past the contract's length and isn't included in his salary. 550 million. Not sure what the guaranteed portion would be, but it will be substantial but not total.

Gotta remember what I just wrote when the contract is finally signed.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 05:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If Burrow wants a shorter contract, and that's if..., it's because he's smart and knows the cap is about to go way up and he can cash in on bigger money in a couple of years. Nothing more than that. It's supposed to go up astronomically in the next couple of years. Signing a 10 year deal would be dumb.

Which is precisely why the Bengals want to get it done quick and have it be a long-term deal.  
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 05:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If Burrow wants a shorter contract, and that's if..., it's because he's smart and knows the cap is about to go way up and he can cash in on bigger money in a couple of years. Nothing more than that. It's supposed to go up astronomically in the next couple of years. Signing a 10 year deal would be dumb.

Possibly, but in addition it may be a win/win for he and ownership, not so much for taxpayers.  They could use that looming extension then as leverage when the lease is set to expire.  The family also may see it as a lesser gamble if he truly does push guaranteed money.  

I think it will be a decade, but it wouldn't shock me if he went fully guaranteed short term. 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 05:58 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: No way it's going to be anything less than a 10 year deal, maybe even 12.  Won't be fully guaranteed, but perhaps JB would ask for one of his charities to be funded by the Benagls for a long period of time past the contract's length and isn't included in his salary.  550 million.  Not sure what the guaranteed portion would be, but it will be substantial but not total.

Gotta remember what I just wrote when the contract is finally signed.

I think we all agree that Burrow is a person of high character and wants to do good for the community.  But I think some are seriously undervaluing the business aspect of being a professional football player.    A career that could be ended in a moment and cut short.  At the end of the day he's going to want to get paid what he's worth with guarantees to secure his future and I seriously doubt, "Hey pay me less but fund my charity" is anything he or his agent is even considering.  I could be wrong but I don't see that happening.  I think that would be a first and not even sure if diverting funds in such a way, even if it was for charity, would be within the rules.  My guess is he'd rather get paid and fund his charity himself.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote