Run O: 22
Pass O: 23
Scoring O: 15

Total D: 12
Rush D: 10
Pass D: 17
Scoring D: 7t

Turnover +/-: 21t

Defense dropped out of the top ten after playing Rodgers and the Pack while the offense is an abysmal 24th overall. With the talent this offense has it should not be anywhere near that low.
Reply/Quote
The offense looked really poor on 2nd down yesterday, at least at a glance. That's been the biggest problem most weeks. They're not setting themselves up for 3rd down success, even despite 1st down being good for them. 3rd and 5+ over and over is not a recipe for offensive success, and it has to improve. I can't help but feel that it's a direct reflection of the play calling too.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 04:12 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The offense looked really poor on 2nd down yesterday, at least at a glance. That's been the biggest problem most weeks. They're not setting themselves up for 3rd down success, even despite 1st down being good for them. 3rd and 5+ over and over is not a recipe for offensive success, and it has to improve. I can't help but feel that it's a direct reflection of the play calling too.

Yeah so the big question is, do you blame the play calling or execution of plays if ya had to choose one?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 04:30 PM)GodFather Wrote: Yeah so the big question is, do you blame the play calling or execution of plays if ya had to choose one?

I was at the game and I probably blame execution more. The offensive line was collapsing and pushed back all day it seemed. I’m not sure plays that were called had a chance to develop. The run game struggled. But I just can’t figure out the fear of going over the middle. I know Sample is pretty bad but Uzomah and Boyd can do some damage.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
It's play calling. As already observed we don't go over the middle and it was there all day - send CJ out there and feast. We don't do ANYTHING AT ALL to burn pass rushers - for some reason the usual tools (traps, draws, designed rollouts) seem alien to us.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 04:12 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The offense looked really poor on 2nd down yesterday, at least at a glance. That's been the biggest problem most weeks. They're not setting themselves up for 3rd down success, even despite 1st down being good for them. 3rd and 5+ over and over is not a recipe for offensive success, and it has to improve. I can't help but feel that it's a direct reflection of the play calling too.

I saw a stat that they had 7 3rd down and 3 or shorter situations yesterday which was the most of the NFL and only converted 2 of them. Also that they rank 30th in the NFL on converting those 3rd and short situations so far this season. Seems to be something that needs to be looked at but also should be very fixable.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 05:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's play calling. As already observed we don't go over the middle and it was there all day - send CJ out there and feast. We don't do ANYTHING AT ALL to burn pass rushers - for some reason the usual tools (traps, draws, designed rollouts) seem alien to us.

We threw 17 passes between the numbers against GB.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:57 PM)GodFather Wrote: Total O: 24

Defense dropped out of the top ten after playing Rodgers and the Pack while the offense is an abysmal 24th overall. With the talent this offense has it should not be anywhere near that low.

24th overall is just unacceptable. The defense to me is just as advertised they're not a shutdown defense and they certainly had some miscues yesterday but they still gave us a chance to win. Zac Taylor needs to give up play calling. I don't know that all the blame falls on him but to not be able to get into the top 2/3 of the NFL with the talent we have on offense just has to be addressed.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:57 PM)GodFather Wrote: Total O: 24

Really surprising! You don't expect these kind of numbers with an offensive juggernaut like Zac at the helm... 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 05:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's play calling. As already observed we don't go over the middle and it was there all day - send CJ out there and feast. We don't do ANYTHING AT ALL to burn pass rushers - for some reason the usual tools (traps, draws, designed rollouts) seem alien to us.

I wish I had a way to get a tape of the game. The play calling over the middle is what bothers me. They seem to never have a hi/low combo on the LBs. Run a drag route for a check down and try to get behind them. Usually you see young QBs hit the TEs over and over because it is such an easy read. (Wentz was a TE-feeding machine and he is garbage)

Green Bay had multiple players running near every hand off.... That is a much more difficult run read. We are so vanilla with play design. And I am not pushing for a reverse or flea flicker. But it is a very straight forward. I wonder if ZT designs his plays in Madden. You watch other teams play us and multiple ppl are open, they only show you the ball on TV. Burrow misses a few but rarely do you see any wide open players... or huge windows where any QB makes the throw with ease. If you can't form a pocket, move it... High school level crap... maybe Lou knows someone that can help.

(10-11-2021, 07:26 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I saw a stat that they had 7 3rd down and 3 or shorter situations yesterday which was the most of the NFL and only converted 2 of them. Also that they rank 30th in the NFL on converting those 3rd and short situations so far this season. Seems to be something that needs to be looked at but also should be very fixable.

Nice post. I am glad to see some numbers on what upset me at the GB game. We are just out coached on offense. We need someone else to take over. The team looks good on paper. But they are not passing the field test with any ease. I thought ZT said we were going to go for it on 4th a lot... He did it on our side of the field before. How are not able to covert any short down and distance. Pound it, hit slants, TE dumb, swing passes... ffs. Where are the short distance oriented plays?
Reply/Quote
The main reason is we are just not good on 3rd downs this year... two impacts to 3rd down success play calling and execution.. So if you are going to blame any individuals to blame the two most important people to blame are OC Taylor and QB Burrow
Reply/Quote
Agree that the play calling/game plan is a problem.

But maybe that whole “super talented offense” is closer to an nfl version of just “above average”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
With all of the talent that has been brought in on both sides of the ball, over the past two years, it's hard to point toward the roster stock being the problem. At this point it simply has to be the coaching.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With all of the talent that has been brought in on both sides of the ball, over the past two years, it's hard to point toward the roster stock being the problem.  At this point it simply has to be the coaching.

It definitely is.. Where are all the RB screens, where is the over the middle intermediate stuff, where is all the creativity with these skill players they have? The only creative thing I've seen was a misdirection fake pitch bootleg and Sample screwed that up 3 times... Zac really has to be in question... This offense is really under-performing...
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The main reason is we are just not good on 3rd downs this year... two impacts to 3rd down success play calling and execution.. So if you are going to blame any individuals to blame the two most important people to blame are OC Taylor and QB Burrow

At least this off season , they are most likely taking best Oline available.. Resign Reiff and add a piece or 2.. The line and Zac are the last 2 things holding the team back...
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:28 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: Nice post. I am glad to see some numbers on what upset me at the GB game. We are just out coached on offense. We need someone else to take over. The team looks good on paper. But they are not passing the field test with any ease. I thought ZT said we were going to go for it on 4th a lot... He did it on our side of the field before. How are not able to covert any short down and distance. Pound it, hit slants, TE dumb, swing passes... ffs. Where are the short distance oriented plays?

We were pretty aggressive on 4th downs I was rewatching the game and we had a 4th and 2 down 19 to 14 at the Packers 30. We picked it up but Spain got called for an iffy hold I don't hate the call but I probably would've kicked the field goal but maybe that's easy to say now. But with all the aggressiveness when the moment came for us to be aggressive and go for 4th and inches in OT we go conservative I just do get it. I mean Perine was running at over 5yds per attempt.

Also as I was watching again I was also wondering where the short passes were and I noticed on some of these 3rd and shorts we'll have a couple of guys do short routes but all we have them do is go a few yards and just stop and turn. So whoever is there to cover just has to stand right next to them we need someone coming across the field underneath. I'm a big Boyd fan and Chase is a beast not trying to say we need to target Boyd more but to have Boyd only have one more target then Sample is an issue.
Reply/Quote

This. Plays to negate the rush are just lacking. We also don’t get hardly any push in the run game. Also if he we have a 1st down that goes for no gain or a loss, we are almost always setting up a run on 2nd down for a gain of 2 or 3, equaling long 3rd downs.
Reply/Quote
Zac has to open it up. He's trying to be more conservative but its too much. I know part of it is because he's trying to ease Burrow in and run more, but he needs to just put the ball in Burrow's hands and open up the offense. Push the ball downfield more, pass to set up the run more. Do some more up-tempo stuff and in general just step on the gas all game and dont let up. It seems like he's actually a good play designer, based on some of the former player/coach youtubers who have complimented ZT's play designs. But he has to put trust in Burrow and the players and be more aggressive in his schemes. We have the talent to be high powered. It's not the players. We were actually more aggressive last season it seems.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The main reason is we are just not good on 3rd downs this year... two impacts to 3rd down success play calling and execution.. So if you are going to blame any individuals to blame the two most important people to blame are OC Taylor and QB Burrow

Pretty sure both will shoulder the blame themselves, at least Burrow will imo. Also not believing for one minute Joe went to hospital to dodge questions as some others have suggested.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Still might be tied for first place. Rats are losing to Indy so far 16-3 in the 3rd Q.. Wonder boy Lamar fumbled on the 1 and Colts returned 19 yards.. Now 22-3 Colts..Wentz is beating up on the rats..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote