Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Bengal Rankings
(10-11-2021, 09:21 PM)Tony Wrote: At least this off season , they are most likely taking best Oline available.. Resign Reiff and add a piece or 2.. The line and Zac are the last 2 things holding the team back...

I dont love our line but we are running better , I still put the onious  on Taylor and Burrow .
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So... last year it was 'ZT is horrible, he doesn't go deep, just short stuff.'
This year it's... 'ZT is horrible, he just goes deep, why aren't we going short?'

Predraft... 'We have to take Chase, we'll never have a deep game if we don't.'
Postdraft... 'Yeah, sure, Chase is putting up great numbers, but why are we throwing the ball to him instead of a screen?'

I'm not sure if it's just people's unrealistic expectations at this point, or 'the grass is always greener.' We aren't going to put up 600 yards per game every Sunday. We aren't going to beat opponents by double digits every week. We aren't going to have someone with Chase's numbers AND chew up field with a dink and dunk game.
Reply/Quote
darn..tied up 25-25 in ot
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 12:26 AM)grampahol Wrote: darn..tied up 25-25 in ot

Lots of home field officiating going on tonight. 
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 12:23 AM)Benton Wrote: So... last year it was 'ZT is horrible, he doesn't go deep, just short stuff.'
This year it's... 'ZT is horrible, he just goes deep, why aren't we going short?'

Postdraft... 'Yeah, sure, Chase is putting up great numbers, but why are we throwing the ball to him instead of a screen?'

I'm not sure if it's just people's unrealistic expectations at this point, or 'the grass is always greener.' We aren't going to put up 600 yards per game every Sunday. We aren't going to beat opponents by double digits every week. We aren't going to have someone with Chase's numbers AND chew up field with a dink and dunk game.

No way..Nobody here has unrealistic expectations.. On the other hand half of them could have the perfect gf with the greatest body on earth and complain she's not fat enough or too fat..  Too fat, but doesn't eat enough.. or eats too much, but too skinny..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Damned colts.. Cry

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The main reason is we are just not good on 3rd downs this year... two impacts to 3rd down success play calling and execution.. So if you are going to blame any individuals to blame the two most important people to blame are OC Taylor and QB Burrow

Yeah, it makes sense to blame the 7th highest rated QB in the NFL. 

The guy who has the 7th most completions on 3rd down.
The guy who has the 2nd highest completion percentage on 3rd down.
The guy who has the 11th most yards passing on 3rd down.
The guy who has the 9th highest YPA on 3rd down. 
The guy who has the 11th highest quarterback rating on 3rd down. 

Let's blame him. 

Let's not blame the team that's 30th in rushing yards on 3rd down.
Let's not blame the team that's 31st in YPA on 3rd down. 

You are a real treat. Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 12:27 AM)Joelist Wrote: Lots of home field officiating going on tonight. 

Well, the bigger problem was the Colts backing off and playing a deep zone with only 4 rushers, trying to keep everything in front of them. They handed the game to the Ravens, the luckiest team in the league by a wide margin. 

Lamar Dalton is terrible in just about everything but running but even then, he's had trouble hanging on the to ball this year. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 08:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With all of the talent that has been brought in on both sides of the ball, over the past two years, it's hard to point toward the roster stock being the problem.  At this point it simply has to be the coaching.

Ditto.  I watch a lot of the other successful teams and they are so much more creative.  Even Indy last night had Baltimore on it's heals.  Now they have a better o-line and running game but their passing plays were much more creative.

Of course we have a failed college offensive coordinator calling plays in the NFL.

There is no excuse for the Bengals to have the 24th ranked offense with Burrow, Mixon, Uzo, Chase, Higgins and Boyd at the specialty positions.  Our Oline is not the best but it's not that bad either.

And this is not a bash ZT response.  I actually think he might make a decent HC as he seems to do other things fairly well.  But he needs to rid his ego and understand his weakness as a play caller and step down.  Otherwise he may be looking for another job after the season.  If word is true and he went into the season on a short leash the Bengals may cut bait as to not waste additional years with this young and developing talent.  He might just be sealing his own fate not making a change.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 12:50 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Well, the bigger problem was the Colts backing off and playing a deep zone with only 4 rushers, trying to keep everything in front of them. They handed the game to the Ravens, the luckiest team in the league by a wide margin. 

Lamar Dalton is terrible in just about everything but running but even then, he's had trouble hanging on the to ball this year. 

Jackson has always been a glorified running back to me. Guess I i'm just of the old school type of QB not a hybrid one.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 12:23 AM)Benton Wrote: So... last year it was 'ZT is horrible, he doesn't go deep, just short stuff.'

That is the beauty of complaining about play calling.  You can never be wrong no matter what you say.  Just criticize what does not work and claim that what you would have called would have worked.

Also if he does what every other coach does he is "too predictable", but if he does something different then he is crazy for not doing "what every other coach in the league would have done".
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 05:16 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: I was at the game and I probably blame execution more. The offensive line was collapsing and pushed back all day it seemed. I’m not sure plays that were called had a chance to develop. The run game struggled. But I just can’t figure out the fear of going over the middle. I know Sample is pretty bad but Uzomah and Boyd can do some damage.

if the OL and blockers cant execute the plays being called should they change how they run the offense?
Reply/Quote

Sorry, Benton, logic is frowned upon in Jungle Noise. Sorry. Them's the breaks.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Perhaps its more people trying to figure out why with an offense that has as many weapons as the Bengals are supposed to and has played one of the easiest schedules in the NFL YTD we have an offense ranked 24th in the league.

So yeah, maybe something isnt working real well there.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 03:57 PM)GodFather Wrote: Total O: 24
Run O: 22
Pass O: 23
Scoring O: 15

Total D: 12
Rush D: 10
Pass D: 17
Scoring D: 7t

Turnover +/-: 21t

Defense dropped out of the top ten after playing Rodgers and the Pack while the offense is an abysmal 24th overall. With the talent this offense has it should not be anywhere near that low.

These rankings tell me that the D is doing a good-enough job overall and as a result, our offense doesn't have to curb stomp teams.

Not saying this is a good or bad thing, merely my interpretation; if we are upper-middle of the league in points and top 10 in allowing points, I'm not worried with the low yardage numbers.

The Chargers were #1 in both O and D in 2010, we curb-stomped them at home (game was less close than in reality) with a poor team and they missed the playoffs.

Scoring O and D is more-important, IMO.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
One of the things that stood out to me early was the time the D was on the field - which is always bad. D would've had better numbers if they had more time to rest between drives. Also, we had a lot of drops by receivers. Most IIRC, were first down throws. The OL seemed to take a step back last week (literally) and got pushed around. We should have adjusted our focus once we knew we were having issues protecting. Overall, It was a fun, frustrating, exiting game to watch. There was a part of me that worried we might get handled by the Packers, but our guys hung in there.

All these things we're discussing are fixable. It's still early in the season. To end on a positive, we can beat those ratbirds I seen last night. I was impressed how Indy's DL came at Jackson and didn't over run him. Indy beat themselves and I think we are much better. I see no reason why we can't beat them in 2 weeks.

Reply/Quote