Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated: Brandon Wilson listed as S, Carl Lawson as LB
(05-02-2017, 09:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: No, I think Lawson will be similar to what we wanted to do with Harrison in that he will move around and put his hand down in various packages along with LB. I think Vigil will still play in the base package when we do go to it. I would guess starters are Burfict, Minter, Vigil and back ups Lawson, Rey, Dawson/Evans?

The Wilson at RB thing is interesting. I think Cedric Peerman may be in trouble. When we drafted this kid I think the idea was he is a swiss army knife that can cut his teeth on special teams. He is a great athlete and has versatility which makes him a great back end of the roster guy.

Yeah...I LOVE Lawson being listed as LB. LOVE it. I was talking about how I hoped he was an OLB rush LB when he was drafted.

At DE...there would never be playing time for him. Gilberry, Clark, MJ, Dunlap, Willis...Lawson wouldn't have a chance to play.

At OLB...he could see 10-12 snaps a game as a pass rusher.

Not sure about Wilson at RB. Does he have RB experience in his past?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I LOVE Lawson being listed as LB. LOVE it. I was talking about how I hoped he was an OLB rush LB when he was drafted.

At DE...there would never be playing time for him. Gilberry, Clark, MJ, Dunlap, Willis...Lawson wouldn't have a chance to play.

Yes.
41 rush attempts, 194 rush yards (4.7 YPC), 2 rush TDs. 11 receptions, 101 rec yards (9.2 YPR)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think tupou makes the 53 roster
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I LOVE Lawson being listed as LB. LOVE it. I was talking about how I hoped he was an OLB rush LB when he was drafted.

(05-02-2017, 10:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes.
41 rush attempts, 194 rush yards (4.7 YPC), 2 rush TDs. 11 receptions, 101 rec yards (9.2 YPR)

Yeah, the listing of him as a RB is a little misleading to me.

He only had 4 carries for 6 yards last season.

Houston has him listed and played him as a CB.

IMO, he is an athlete who is going to have a chance to make it as a special teams monster. He is outstanding at returning kicks.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Pacman can return no doubt, but he's getting up there and seems to maybe have lost a step last year. I don't think Marvin is going to risk Ross's knees on punt returns. If Mixon is starting RB, I don't see him making punt returns then going in to run the ball on the next play. Malone and Boyd are options, unproven as it is, and not everyone is a willing punt returner. Erickson is a proven commodity. I still think he has last receiver position locked because of it. Simmons is not going to let his star returner go easily......

I dunno why everyone acts like he has glass knees.  The injuries occured at same time.  healed perfectly, and he's added 15 pounds since that time.  I don't think he does returns tho.  Wilson is the guy I think wins the job.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:51 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Yeah, the listing of him as a RB is a little misleading to me.

He only had 4 carries for 6 yards last season.

Houston has him listed and played him as a CB.

IMO, he is an athlete who is going to have a chance to make it as a special teams monster. He is outstanding at returning kicks.

he is only listed as that now because thats what his college listing was.  when he makes the roster it will be at safety

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 08:30 AM)Takedown Wrote: So a position battle we should be paying attention to at training camp is Carl Lawson and Nick Vigil?

There is room for both... or do you mean for starting SAM?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:57 AM)Okeana Wrote: he is only listed as that now because thats what his college listing was.  when he makes the roster it will be at safety

We can list him as whatever they want...   If they want to stash him as the 4th RB/Special teamer...  or if they want to call him a CB/S  wont matter to much they were close to the same numbers
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:04 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: We can list him as whatever they want...   If they want to stash him as the 4th RB/Special teamer...  or if they want to call him a CB/S  wont matter to much they were close to the same numbers

True they could cut peerman move him to rb and keep fejedelem.  I just think peerman is the superior ST player

but then again he cost more and he's getting old

Reply/Quote
Long way to go before final roster, but if healthy I think Wilson is being groomed to replace an older but very good ST player who is a bad RB Peerman. Wilson should be a great special teams player, has experience on defense and offense and like I said a younger (and much faster) version than Peerman.

On the Lawson front, every year a LBer or 2 gets dinged so not sure who he will replace.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:29 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Long way to go before final roster, but if healthy I think Wilson is being groomed to replace an older but very good ST player who is a bad RB Peerman. Wilson should be a great special teams player, has experience on defense and offense and like I said a younger (and much faster) version than Peerman.

On the Lawson front, every year a LBer or 2 gets dinged so not sure who he will replace.

Lawson will be the backup behind burfict.  

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:55 AM)Okeana Wrote: I dunno why everyone acts like he has glass knees.  The injuries occured at same time.  healed perfectly, and he's added 15 pounds since that time.  I don't think he does returns tho.  Wilson is the guy I think wins the job.  

Well, he came up lame after his blazing 40 at the combine with a calf issue. I think when you are that fast and cut that hard it is a lot of strain on any knees, let alone repaired knees. and maybe his knees are perfect, but my point remains the same.... They drafted him due to his speed and ability to stretch the field opposite of AJ. Do they risk that using him for punt returns. I just don't see it when they have Erickson as a proven with the field vision and speed and willingness to do it. I mean, it's not like he sucks as a receiver, he is perfectly capable of being the 6th or 7th receiver and #1 returner...
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 10:57 AM)Okeana Wrote: he is only listed as that now because thats what his college listing was.  when he makes the roster it will be at safety

Just a heads up.... 

He was listed as a CB and played huge majority if snaps there and special teams vs as a RB.

http://m.espn.com/ncf/playercard?playerId=536828

Then, oddly, nfl.com draft tracker has him as a RB.

He is basically just a strong football player and he'll if an athlete. I don't see a major difference between Peppers and this guy in terms of size. Williams seems to have wayyyy better measurables andnis a similar athlete. I think he translates into a ST star if he can develop. Not really an RB or CB. Not sure where else the guy can play on O or D with the Bengals roster and his experience. I mean, a light can click on, but that is a reach, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:11 AM)Okeana Wrote: I just think peerman is the superior ST player

but then again he cost more and he's getting old

Interesting that they only brought him back on a 1 year contract with practically no guaranteed money. I think they are keeping him until they see someone can ebat him out, but based on that contract they want someone to.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:29 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Long way to go before final roster, but if healthy I think Wilson is being groomed to replace an older but very good ST player who is a bad RB Peerman. Wilson should be a great special teams player, has experience on defense and offense and like I said a younger (and much faster) version than Peerman.

Peerman will be tough to beat out though. Them bringing him back over Jackson last year is evidence of that.

I agree though that Wilson looks like a freak athlete and I hope that he does beat Peerman out.

It's time for the roster to get young.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 12:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Peerman will be tough to beat out though. Them bringing him back over Jackson last year is evidence of that.

I agree though that Wilson looks like a freak athlete and I hope that he does beat Peerman out.

That was only because of injuries to the RBs. They said they would have brought back WJ3 if Gio hadn't gone down.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 08:08 AM)PDub80 Wrote: You nailed it!

Everything post draft called him a Safety, even in the Bengals presser the DB coaches were doing it and were talking about being the ones who worked him out.

Roster spot wise I see this kid competing directly against Peerman and Alex Erickson. Mixon is taking Burkhead's vacant RB spot on the roster.

I know they love Peerman, but he is older now and the Bengals are clearly looking to get younger, faster, bigger, stronger.

I thought it interesting, though, that on Bengals.com Hobson recently noted that the Bengals coaches love Erickson and that keeping 7 WR was likely, with cuts at other positions.

Erickson, I thought, showed great potential last season as a WR, but he was outstanding on Kickoff returns.

This will be one exciting offseason of camps. Hopefully they all stay healthy and competition makes the units stronger.

Yeah, I wish they won't just cut Erickson if one of the rookies shows better return skills.  I would at least try to trade him.  But maybe they won't need to worry about losing him if they can figure out a way to keep 7 WRs and go thin at a spot that won't hurt them. If they can keep 7, it would be a great way to use a rotation of returners like Simmons mentioned in that article by Hobson, so that all of them stay fresh, and the other teams have to be guessing.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 12:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Peerman will be tough to beat out though. Them bringing him back over Jackson last year is evidence of that.

Peerman not only has to look over this shoulder at Wilson, but at Williams as well....
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 02:17 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Yeah, I wish they won't just cut Erickson if one of the rookies shows better return skills.  I would at least try to trade him.  But maybe they won't need to worry about losing him if they can figure out a way to keep 7 WRs and go thin at a spot that won't hurt them. If they can keep 7, it would be a great way to use a rotation of returners like Simmons mentioned in that article by Hobson, so that all of them stay fresh, and the other teams have to be guessing.

My bet is we carry 2 QB's and 7 receivers.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 02:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: My bet is we carry 2 QB's and 7 receivers.

Yeah, sounds right.  Driskel may not even get picked up by someone else if they cut him (don't think he's PS stash-able)
Reply/Quote