Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated: Brandon Wilson listed as S, Carl Lawson as LB
(05-02-2017, 11:21 PM)PDub80 Wrote:
I don't think he's going to play the traditional linebacker role
in the sense that Burfict, Vigil, Minter, and Rey will. I think he is going to be more of a rush end/LB in special packages and passing situations.

James Harrison is 2" shorter and about 15-20 lbs heavier and rushes the QB in a similar fashion. Peter Boulware was a linebacker/DE of similar size, as was Adalius Thomas. Although, Thomas was insanely fast. Both of the former Ravens players played LB/Rush DE/LB in 4-3 and 3-4 schemes with huge success. This just gives the Bengals options.

James Harrison's type of violent play style is exactly what I see when I watch Lawson. While I know the Bengals play a 4-3, they sometimes play with 5 linemen and 2 LBs quite a bit as well. There's plenty of opportunity for the "Law Dog", as I nicknamed him in another thread, to line up at OLB and then move up to the line of scrimmage and rush.

I see Lawson as more of that disrupting, rushing LB who can rush upright or with his hand in the dirt. He lined up both ways at Aurburn and did well. He's athletic enough to do so and this gives the Bengals a nasty option and a real different type of player to build certain packages around.

He is in no way big enough at 6-2 255-260 to play DE in a 4-3. His arms aren't quite long enough and his build looks to be different than a guy like Wallace Gilberry. They have the same size and weight, but Gilberry is built much differently and I think Lawson runs much better and is a better athlete.

They can always move him, too. We'll see!

This sums up my thoughts. We did have one tweener type LB on his way to success years ago named Pollack who unfortunately suffered a career ending injury. I love to hear guys like Lawson have a passion for the  game. It think passionate players make it, even when they are too small or too slow compared to others with work ethic and that last longer because it gets very hard, they won't quit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 05:58 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Anyone wonder if we can convert one of our run stuffing DT to an offensive lineman.  I always wondered why this isn't done more often DT seem to be better athletes.  It seems like there is a shortage of quality Offensive lineman and an abundance of DT these days in the NFL.

We'd do this a lot if Tom Cable was our OL coach.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 10:28 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: This sums up my thoughts. We did have one tweener type LB on his way to success years ago named Pollack who unfortunately suffered a career ending injury. I love to hear guys like Lawson have a passion for the  game. It think passionate players make it, even when they are too small or too slow compared to others with work ethic and that last longer because it gets very hard, they won't quit.

I stumbled uppon video of Lawson practicing against O-Linemen where they go 1v1 and there is the dummy behind the lineman. One word: VIOLENT. Dude is violent with his hands and power. It's so different than what the Bengals players do. I wonder if the Bengals are coached this way? If so, that's a shame because the way Lawson attacks linemen - dude is a straight up savage.

Just enjoy the first 30 seconds or so of this...

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 04:31 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I stumbled uppon video of Lawson practicing against O-Linemen where they go 1v1 and there is the dummy behind the lineman. One word: VIOLENT. Dude is violent with his hands and power. It's so different than what the Bengals players do. I wonder if the Bengals are coached this way? If so, that's a shame because the way Lawson attacks linemen - dude is a straight up savage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpPLgY350nI

In that case, the Bengals will have him covering TEs on passing downs.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 04:35 PM)Beaker Wrote: In that case, the Bengals will have him covering TEs on passing downs.

Dear Sweet Little 9lbs 8oz Baby Jesus. NO.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 04:31 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I stumbled uppon video of Lawson practicing against O-Linemen where they go 1v1 and there is the dummy behind the lineman. One word: VIOLENT. Dude is violent with his hands and power. It's so different than what the Bengals players do. I wonder if the Bengals are coached this way? If so, that's a shame because the way Lawson attacks linemen - dude is a straight up savage.

Savage is exactly right.  He def. gets after QB's like they stole from him.  Not too shabby against the run too.  How did we get him where we did?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 05:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The heck is a 260lb linebacker going to do in a 4-3 defense?

I'm going to say that Guenther is looking to expand the scope of a "hybrid" style defense, getting as many fast, good tacklers on the field as possible.  It's no secret that Guenther likes 3-4 looks, I think he intends to show more odd fronts this season, and has loaded up on players to work with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 08:30 AM)Takedown Wrote: So a position battle we should be paying attention to at training camp is Carl Lawson and Nick Vigil?

Figure Vigil to start Lawson to rush in sub packages
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 08:59 AM)McC Wrote: Savage is exactly right.  He def. gets after QB's like they stole from him.  Not too shabby against the run too.  How did we get him where we did?

Missed 2014 with a torn ACL and 5 games in 2015 with a hip injury
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't read too much into any of this to be honest. You're going to read/see guys all over the place. Wilson at safety, at nickel, outside. You're going to see Lawson at DE, at OLB. You might even see/read Wilson get a carry or two (a converted RB at Houston). Rookie camp and training camp are ways for the team to see what these guys can actually do. Up to now, it's all projection.

Lawson is the only one that might stick with the "LB" designation -- but he'll work at DE and at OLB to find a good spot for him.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:54 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I wouldn't read too much into any of this to be honest. You're going to read/see guys all over the place. Wilson at safety, at nickel, outside. You're going to see Lawson at DE, at OLB. You might even see/read Wilson get a carry or two (a converted RB at Houston). Rookie camp and training camp are ways for the team to see what these guys can actually do. Up to now, it's all projection.

Lawson is the only one that might stick with the "LB" designation -- but he'll work at DE and at OLB to find a good spot for him.

I'm with you on all of this.

To me, this draft in particular says that the Bengals are shifting away from their previous methods and thought processes on what they want in or how they will use guys. A lot of these players are versatile and dynamic. Lawson in particular being able to rush down or standing.

I think in years past Lawson would perhaps have been made to fit one position and in one traditional role. I hope these types of players signify the Bengals expanding their minds and they move people around to put them in schemes/personnel packages that fit them best, rather than fitting the coaches traditional ideas. Maybe it's time the coaches change their spots (so to speak) to fit what guy's strengths are, rather than the spots of the player.

^ If that makes sense?
Reply/Quote
Anything is possible, but I'm not sure why people are so quick to think Erickson would be the first WR to go.

What makes Cody Core a lock? He's a lesser version of Malone that doesn't have Erickson's return skills. You also have to consider that maybe the Bengals don't want to use studs like Ross and Mixon as full time return guys. They should have very important roles in the offense. Plus Erickson led the conference in KR yards (averaging a stellar 27.9 yards/return) and flashed promise as a receiver late in the season.

I'm not saying Erickson is a lock, but I'd be willing to bet he makes it over Core. It's possible the roll with 7 like Hobspin said. We'll see.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 08:59 AM)McC Wrote: Savage is exactly right.  He def. gets after QB's like they stole from him.  Not too shabby against the run too.  How did we get him where we did?

Injuries. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Dear God in heaven do not let the Bengal's coaches mess this guy up!! Unleash the Beast!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 07:57 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Well I'm hoping you guys haven't fallen too much in love with Alex Erickson

WTF? Why would you cut the guy that lead the NFL in Kick off return yardage and had the 2nd best return average? He finished middle of the pack on Punt Returns, but he did share some with Adam Jones.

They will keep 7 WR's this year. The cut will come from somewhere else.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 07:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: WTF? Why would you cut the guy that lead the NFL in Kick off return yardage and had the 2nd best return average? He finished middle of the pack on Punt Returns, but he did share some with Adam Jones.

They will keep 7 WR's this year. The cut will come from somewhere else.

They cut Quan Cosby, who led the entire NFL in punt return yardage as a rookie in 2009, setting, I think a Bengals team record that year? And Marvin LOVED that guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 01:20 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm with you on all of this.

To me, this draft in particular says that the Bengals are shifting away from their previous methods and thought processes on what they want in or how they will use guys. A lot of these players are versatile and dynamic. Lawson in particular being able to rush down or standing.

I think in years past Lawson would perhaps have been made to fit one position and in one traditional role. I hope these types of players signify the Bengals expanding their minds and they move people around to put them in schemes/personnel packages that fit them best, rather than fitting the coaches traditional ideas. Maybe it's time the coaches change their spots (so to speak) to fit what guy's strengths are, rather than the spots of the player.

^ If that makes sense?

Makes a lot of sense. Thread worthy sense.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 01:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Anything is possible, but I'm not sure why people are so quick to think Erickson would be the first WR to go.

What makes Cody Core a lock? He's a lesser version of Malone that doesn't have Erickson's return skills. You also have to consider that maybe the Bengals don't want to use studs like Ross and Mixon as full time return guys. They should have very important roles in the offense. Plus Erickson led the conference in KR yards (averaging a stellar 27.9 yards/return) and flashed promise as a receiver late in the season.

I'm not saying Erickson is a lock, but I'd be willing to bet he makes it over Core. It's possible the roll with 7 like Hobspin said. We'll see.

Yeah at this point I see Core on the outside looking in. Of course we are a long way from cutting time and he could wow everybody.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 01:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Anything is possible, but I'm not sure why people are so quick to think Erickson would be the first WR to go.

This and he is #1 backup at slot behind Boyd
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 07:39 PM)PDub80 Wrote: They cut Quan Cosby, who led the entire NFL in punt return yardage as a rookie in 2009, setting, I think a Bengals team record that year? And Marvin LOVED that guy.

He led in PR yardage, but was tied for 4th in average.  He was also a horrid KR , with an anemic 18.4 average.  He was even worse in year 2, with a 7.5 yard PR average and a 14.7 KR average.

Point being, he had a terrible year as a return man before he got cut.
Reply/Quote