Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Cap Space 4/9
We finally know the contract details for the rest of the FAs who were signed (woohoo!)
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/

The Bengals now have $8.95 mill in cap space.
The one caveat with that is the draft picks are expected to cost ~$11.5 mill when all is said and done, which could put the Bengals over the cap if no one is cut/traded.

I think the most likely scenario that happens is Dalton is traded/cut during or after the draft, freeing up enough cash for the Bengals to not only sign their draft picks but also extend a guy before the season starts. Maybe WJ3 or AJ Green.

Your thoughts?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We finally know the contract details for the rest of the FAs who were signed (woohoo!)

The one caveat with that is the draft picks are expected to cost ~$11.5 mill when all is said and done, which could put the Bengals over the cap if no one is cut/traded.

I think the most likely scenario that happens is Dalton is traded/cut during or after the draft, freeing up enough cash for the Bengals to not only sign their draft picks but also extend a guy before the season starts. Maybe WJ3 or AJ Green.

Your thoughts?

Bottom line seems to be that they can't possibly keep Dalton at his current salary.

Also can't see him being here much beyond the draft.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Thoughts? I hope you're right. I don't want Andy in the locker room or anywhere near Burrow. Nothing against him, but I think he'd just be a distraction. If Andy didn't make himself a distraction, which I sorta doubt, the media probably would. We need to draft Burrow, plug him in as our starter, and let him focus on winning football games.

Use the money to extend AJ and others.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:36 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Thoughts? I hope you're right. I don't want Andy in the locker room or anywhere near Burrow. Nothing against him, but I think he'd just be a distraction. If Andy didn't make himself a distraction, which I sorta doubt, the media probably would. We need to draft Burrow, plug him in as our starter, and let him focus on winning football games.

I agree.  I would have no problem with signing a veteran backup for a lot less than 17.7 mil.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Andy would DEFINITELY not be a distraction.

But yes, holding on to him is not necessary, if we have Burrow in the fold.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:48 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Andy would DEFINITELY not be a distraction.

While I agree that he would not do anything to be a distraction, I do think his presence there wouldn't be good for anyone, if for no other reason that he'd be where he didn't want to be.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 01:05 PM)McC Wrote: While I agree that he would not do anything to be a distraction, I do think his presence there wouldn't be good for anyone, if for no other reason that he'd be where he didn't want to be.

Exactly
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:48 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Andy would DEFINITELY not be a distraction.

idk about that. He said something along the lines of wanting to be a starter (or possibility of doing so) somewhere, and they also said "they want to do right" by him. I highly doubt he would take a pay cut to be a backup here.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 12:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We finally know the contract details for the rest of the FAs who were signed (woohoo!)

Your thoughts?

It doesn't hurt anything to have him on the team until just after the draft. They'll almost definitely cut him if he's not traded during the draft. I heard from Tyler Dragon podcast they're closer to re-signing Green than Mixon

https://audioboom.com/posts/7551968-cincinnati-bengals-beat-podcast-zoom-edition-talking-nfl-draft-in-quarantine
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

Your thoughts?

We are negative 2.4 with the top 51 and draft pool. We could make that up with a long term extension of AJ or WJ3. The other option is we could find that in a restructure of someone like Dunlap or Geno and just convert some of their salary this year to signing bonus. Either way, we still don't HAVE to move on from Dalton. Now do I think we will? maybe. I think if we don't have much of an off season program having Dalton here could be a really valuable asset.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 02:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: We are negative 2.4 with the top 51 and draft pool. We could make that up with a long term extension of AJ or WJ3. The other option is we could find that in a restructure of someone like Dunlap or Geno and just convert some of their salary this year to signing bonus. Either way, we still don't HAVE to move on from Dalton. Now do I think we will? maybe. I think if we don't have much of an off season program having Dalton here could be a really valuable asset.

You're absolutely right, they don't HAVE to move on from Dalton.
They could restructure contracts (but I can't recall a time they have before).
They could get rid of someone like Gio.
But the most logical thing is to reduce/remove Dalton's contract (unless they trade back from 1st overall and decide to build around Dalton...again).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 02:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're absolutely right, they don't HAVE to move on from Dalton.
But the most logical thing is to reduce/remove Dalton's contract (unless they trade back from 1st overall and decide to build around Dalton...again).

He is still an asset and one that has value, but much like the stock market you need the right opportunity. Timing is everything in life and while they haven't found the right times yet an early season injury could yield a really good haul for a QB that has a very tradeable mid year contract to the receiving team. With potentially no offseason program and a very abbreviated training camp the risk of injuries will be high which would make me want to have an asset like Dalton to capitalize on such an injury.

2 Million isn't enough for me to cut a starting caliber QB yet. Now if we get down the road and need it for an extension or something you can look at it. I could also see someone like Shawn Williams being traded for a mid to late pick closer to the draft with the arrival of Bell.
Reply/Quote
I'll be fairly surprised if they don't release Dalton before it's over. I think right now they're just hanging on hoping the Jags or whoever will offer a 5th or 6th rd. pick.

I'm not sure about ZT but a lot of coaches just don't want to hear the put Dalton in the first time Burrow throws a pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 02:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're absolutely right, they don't HAVE to move on from Dalton.

Yeah.  If you could make one move or make several, just make the one. 

I don't think it would be good to have Andy here when the season starts, no matter what the off season ends up being.

Reply/Quote

I just don't trust the media not to generate some fabricated quarterback controversy. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
No rush. Things happen during the draft nobody expects. You may see a team expecting to draft a QB, not work out and decide to trade for Dalton
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 01:37 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: idk about that. He said something along the lines of wanting to be a starter (or possibility of doing so) somewhere, and they also said "they want to do right" by him. I highly doubt he would take a pay cut to be a backup here.

Why not? Sign him to a 3 year contract for $8-10 mil per with no signing bonus add incentives if he ends up the starter. 

That should make him very tradeable. If not, we freed up rookie money and try to move him before week 10 next year. There is no rush. And help mentoring Burrow with out being a distraction would make him even more desirable. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 02:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is still an asset and one that has value, but much like the stock market you need the right opportunity. Timing is everything in life and while they haven't found the right times yet an early season injury could yield a really good haul for a QB that has a very tradeable mid year contract to the receiving team. With potentially no offseason program and a very abbreviated training camp the risk of injuries will be high which would make me want to have an asset like Dalton to capitalize on such an injury.

2 Million isn't enough for me to cut a starting caliber QB yet. Now if we get down the road and need it for an extension or something you can look at it. I could also see someone like Shawn Williams being traded for a mid to late pick closer to the draft with the arrival of Bell.

Good point on Williams.
I can't recall...was there anything in new CBA removing rollover of cap from year to year? If it's still gonna be present, I'd prefer to get Dalton's cap off the books to roll over to next year, if anything.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 02:53 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is still an asset and one that has value, but much like the stock market you need the right opportunity. Timing is everything in life and while they haven't found the right times yet an early season injury could yield a really good haul for a QB that has a very tradeable mid year contract to the receiving team. With potentially no offseason program and a very abbreviated training camp the risk of injuries will be high which would make me want to have an asset like Dalton to capitalize on such an injury.

I have this idea, no evidence to support it, just a hunch.  The idea is that perhaps during the draft, at least a team or two might miss out on a QB that they were looking at, and with Andy being a quality starting QB, the opportunity to gain a valuable pick for him will present itself.

You could be onto something with your Shawn Williams idea.  However, in the 3-4 hybrid, the "Star" or LB/Safety hybrid position is an important one.  I would think that a 3 Safety look would be most effective against teams that run the ball effectively and have mobile/running QBs.  (Ravens for example)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dalton is likely in the position of being a backup, now, with all teams already having a QB #1 or plans on drafting one. Question is how much does someone want to give for a backup ( trade and/or salary ), including the Bengals. Now out of 32 teams, where would he least like to be? I don't know, can't read his mind, but I would have them as my bottom 5, for sure. keeping that around isn't a good thing.
Reply/Quote